CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #31
Celio Silva

Profile:
Re: Anderson Silva is to fight Forest Griffin

Just because I believe Anderson will destroy Forrest it dosen't mean i believe it will be easy. It will not. However, it will be a destruction nonetheless.

I fully agree that Griffins' game has really evolved and that he is not such a brawler anymore and has become much more technical. Having said that, his striking is nowhere near the Spiders, and to be able to "grind on Silva" he'll have to get through Adersons' striking first. If he gets there he will then have to deal with Andersons' clinch and close range striking; pick your poison. If he takes Anderson down there is a good chance he might get submitted as Silvas' ground game is highly underrated. He may also eat some nasty punches and elbows on the ground or while fighting for it. I mean, that's what happened to a BJJ world champ who tried taking the Spider down. What else will Griffin have to offer that Thales didn't???

This is just a real bad match up for Forrest. I am putting the house on The Spider
Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Just because I believe Anderson will destroy

What else will Griffin have to offer that Thales didn't???
Not being a vagina and scared to death before the first punch is thrown and Forrest also has a crazy will to win, plus a size advantage
:stir:
Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Griffin will engage Silva on his feet and will not be forced to scoot along the canvas hoping Silva will go to the ground.

Griffin will also be considerably stronger than Silva.

Anderson Silva is not invincible. He's fighting a top tier LHW in this fight. Once again, this is not Irvin part II.

I highly doubt either fighter wins by "destruction" unless you consider a flash knockout or a submission destruction.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #34
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
I think that if griffin can make this a nasty fight, always grinding on silva, using his weight, alot of dirty boxing into takedowns, he can grind this out.....however, he has to keep his hands up. The great thing about griffin is he won't buy into the hype
That's what I was thinking. I already said I think Silva will win, but Forrest isnít going to make it easy.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #35
Cole Troxell

Profile:

If Forrest loses, he lost to the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and nobody will blame him for it.

Bro, I am a Silva fan myself but that statement is far from true.. why would the "best pound for pound" fighter have to cut 20 lbs to fight at 185? look on UFC.com and he talks bout wanting to fight Fedor and that he normally walks around at about 215 and hed go into that fight around that.. so pound for pound.. not so much now back onto Fedor he'll destroy Silva and is indeed a true "pound for pound" champion.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Forrest is going to come in to the fight pretty big. I wouldn't be surprised if he was 225 the night of the fight. If he can keep it close and smother Anderson (see Couture/Gonzaga) it could play in his favor. Fighting at a heavier weight and carrying Forrest's weight around could tire Anderson.

All it takes is one punch from Aderson, though