CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #21
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Kalen, you made my point. You were a beanpole and you've put on some muscle, but not the "gross hulking pump" muscles as you say. If you're truly a beanpole, you probably have no chance at ever getting "huge" in the traditional bodybuilder sense (and why would you? Crossfit is so much more functional) I've been doing Crossfit for 2 years and I love it. I'll never go back to any other way of training and I eat constantly (the right foods), but I'm not huge and never will be. A person with a wide receivers build will never bulk up like an offensive lineman. I am, however, strong, fit, and athletic and Crossfit has allowed me to make the most of what I have.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #22
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Kalen and Dave,
I eat, so I can train, so I can can Eat, so I can Train........

Genetics is an iffy subject. Give me a 98lb weakling with a huge heart over a 220lb quitter any day.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #23
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Amen on the genetics comment. It's so much more sensible to say "you were born that way," and a prediliction is something to be glad of, or to overcome. But, oh no, "genetics" sounds so much more scientific, and thus infalliable, and thus an iron rule on what you can and cannot do. I have a fair background in genetics, and that's not the way your body works, by a longshot. A body of any "makeup" this side of a debilitating disease can be made to do truly impressive feats with the right coaxing from the forces stressing it, the mind commanding it, and time. Genes are just your raw material, nothing more or less. Some of us have greater capacity to be trained for certain activities than others, but you can do infinitely better than you think if you're smart about it. Be glad you that handy double helix, and are thus with us. Now get to work :-)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #24
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
"I eat, so I can train, so I can can Eat, so I can Train........

Genetics is an iffy subject. Give me a 98lb weakling with a huge heart over a 220lb quitter any day."

Frank, my sentiments exactly. Many times people will write things off as impossible becuase of bad genetics when in fact, they just haven't tried hard enough.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #25
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I've sort of been lurking in this thread, waiting to see how it develops. I'm going to interject a few thoughts at this time:

1. As someone else mentioned...what (and how much) you eat will have a great influence on how/if you grow. If you're protein intake is low you'll have a difficult time gaining muscle...which I think it's fair to say is what you're interested in gaining...and if your overall caloric intake is low you're likely to end up losing weight rather than gaining it.
2. Genetics do play a role, though they are not the sole determining factor. I offer myself up as an example: If you were to look at my family, we're (for the most part) very lean and have lightining fast metabolisms. That's my genetics. I'm smart about my training and diet...and the heaviest I've ever been is ~185 (at 5'10"). If I remember correctly, my bodyfat was about 10%. That's with training and diet focused solely on "getting big". I guess if I took extraordinary measures I could get bigger...but within reason it's just not going to happen for me. On a more well-rounded exercise program and with a good balanced diet I sit at ~170, bodyfat of 7%. That's genetics...you've got some room to move, but essentially you are what you are.
3. Your training program is going to effect your ability to put on weight and keep it on (or off). LSD cardio has the somewhat annoying habit of making significant mass gains difficult (in my experience). If your primary "thing" is gaining mass, I think it's fair to say that your training program needs to be focused on that goal.

Outside of a short (about 6 months) period of experimenting to see how much [healthy] weight I could put on, I've never been one to be concerned with how big I was. I'm not sure of what CF's effect on muscle mass would be, as I do it (CF) in combination with other things. My "sample" is contaminated :wink: I suspect, as several folks have already noted, that if you're currently "undermuscled" CF in conjunction with a proper diet will result in good gains. But I could also quite easily see it leading to a net loss of weight if you're currently on a bodybuilding or powerlifting routine (something that lacks a significant cardio component).

IMO, CF puts a premium on being lean and strong. "Massive" doesn't really figure into the equation.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #26
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Please note that my comments regarding genetics are those of a person who was, in both training scenarios, working his butt off. I'm not talking about being "limited" by your genetics when what you've been doing for the last 10 years is sitting on you *** eating Twinkies. That's excuse making.

But as you near your potential, your genetic "destiny" becomes more and more evident/pronounced.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:44 AM   #27
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Good post Matt. I'm the same size as you and your times/scores are the ones I shoot for.
Jeez Guys, I never said genetics was the sole factor in a person's athletic performance. I also didn't say a word about a person's heart, will, intestinal fortitude, or how hard a person tries. What's next, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog?" I did say that genetics do play a role in how much muscle mass a person can pack onto to their body, just as genetics play a role in how tall you are. I'm 5'10; does that mean I didn't have the will to be 6'4?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #28
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Indeed, you are correct Dave. Rereading my post I realize I probably discounted your "starting place" a bit too much. It's just important to remember that mass and strength are probably the easiest of all a person physical traits to modify through training especially compared to, say, height. :-) I guess I was making more of a point that many of the people you see "training" use "my mother is fat" or an equivalent as a copout for not pushing themselves. It's become more of a fitness buzzword more than a genuine consideration. But seeing as how this is a CF board, I shouldn't be expecting the same kind of shirking. I for one have found my family background to be a source of encouragement- it's filled with successful athletes of various strains, so I keep trying to push to that level, after a few years of pretty much being a bum.