CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Dave Henry

Profile:
Insurance cancelled because crossfit is dangerous!

In May of this year I went and got Insured with Canada Sport and fitness. I got the trainer Insurance and it was about $300 CND. I went in and told them exactly what I do, and brought my crossfit instructor certificate, as well as my 5 martial art black belts certificates for verification. (I didn't bring my NCCP cert or First aid instructor cert) At that time they told me that the fitness industry in Canada is un regulated and I didn't even need to bring anything in and I would be fine so long as I wasn't teaching yoga or pilaties.
Fastforward to Sept, I recommend this company to another crossfitter and He calls in and they say they can't insure him. They then call me and say that they will honor my year of insurance but I need to look elsewhere after the year.

When I talk to the lady she tells me that because crossfit includes Olympic lifting that why they can't insure me. I told her I would be happy to ave a talk with the underwriter and show them sporting injury statistics, so they can cancel all soccer insurance because thats a risk...they said the underwriter will "review it"

There was no clause of do anything but Olympic lifting in any paperwork.

3 things for the community?

1. Where can I get insured now?

2. Caution to all other Canucks to be prepared for this company to shut you down for a renewal

3. Do you think it's worth writing a letter to the underwriter to have them review this?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Re: Insurance cancelled because crossfit is dangerous!

Your instinct in pursuing the matter with your insurance company is correct. You need not give up at this stage. Nor should you attach too much importance to what a junior rep told you on the phone. You need to escalate the matter to a senior level. But writing a letter to the underwriter is not the best way to proceed.

Contact the ombuds office of your insurance company by telephone. Leave voice mail saying you are about to file a complaint with the Ontario Financial Services Commission (the regulatory agency for insurance companies, among others.) The basis of your complaint is the company acted in bad faith by making a decision without considering evidence you offered: your certifications and statistics. Say that, as a courtesy, you will delay your complaint to the OFSC for 72 hours -- provided you hear back from them.

I can almost guarantee someone from the ombuds office will call you back quickly. Most likely, the ombuds rep will explain that he cannot reverse the decision of a business unit -- just make sure your complaint is heard and your evidence is considered. The ombuds rep will most likely forward your concerns to an underwriting executive. The ombuds rep will then track the status of your complaint through the internal review system.

So what will you have achieved by following this course? Perhaps nothing. But at least you will have gotten the attention of a relatively senior official quickly. And you will get to make your case. But the ultimate outcome may -- or may not -- be to your liking.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:

Straight from my USAW Handbook:

Weightlifting injuries per 100 participant hours in School Sports

Lowest: Volley Ball at .0013
Next Lowest: Weightlifting at .0017
Next lowest: Phys Education at .0027
Next : Weight Training at .0035

I'm not sure how they delineate between weightlifting or training but both apply as does Physical education.

Just to compare the highest is 21 places away and it's Soccer at 6.20!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:

Straight from my USAW Handbook:

Weightlifting injuries per 100 participant hours in School Sports

Lowest: Volley Ball at .0013
Next Lowest: Weightlifting at .0017
Next lowest: Phys Education at .0027
Next : Weight Training at .0035

I'm not sure how they delineate between weightlifting or training but both apply as does Physical education.

Just to compare the highest is 21 places away and it's Soccer at 6.20!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Chris Drewry

Profile:

double post owns you!!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

So martial arts is okay but Crossfit is dangerous? Teaching a class where you KNOW your clients are going to get punched and kicked and beat up is safe???
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

It IS sad, it's almost like if you go up to someone "trained" in the "fitness industry" and say "Have you ever thought of training with Olympic Lifts?" they look at you like you just said "hey, you wanna get in Amway with me?"

I had this experience with a gal I know, she's training to hopefully make the olympic team in her sport (she's had great success in another sport, and is taking up this one now), she's hired a personal trainer that's trained other olympians in this sport, and doesn't touch machines (which is good), but I said exactly what I said above about O-lifts, and she goes "Why, so I can hurt myself?"

Last edited by Matt DeMinico : 09-12-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Dave Henry

Profile:

the insurance lady was just making excuses up.... she was like what if you drop a weight on your head....????
I wanted to say what if I slip and fall off a 6 inch stepper and break my neck, this is why I buy insurance for the risk of something happening.

The weights are designed to be dropped is what kills me about it.... soon I will have my NCCP weightlifting cert and I will insure with the Ontario weightlifting association (OWA)