CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Thought some of you might enjoy these:

http://www.realfighting.com/issue7/moniframe.html

http://www.realfighting.com/issue6/nardiaframe.html

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=70a038f79ee6e3bc5221fb3dfac77b2 8&threadid=21372
Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Great articles Barry! I've been wanting to learn something about Krav Maga, but there's only one place in the St Louis area that teaches it, and I haven't been able to reach them on the phone as of yet. One of these days...
That Darren Laur knows his stuff doesn't he? I've never structured that knowledge into four pillars, but I do know and agree with what he's talking about.
I wasn't going to bring this up, but something happened a few weeks ago that is somewhat relative to what Darren talked about. It was a classic bar fight. Not proud of it...OK maybe just a little.
A little background: My wife and I occasionally go to a popular local riverfront drinking/eating establishment in our town. The place always has a wide assortment of people types there. Yuppies (me), bikers, rednecks, meth, crack and dope heads etc., but no bouncers. Not much trouble there usually.
Me and the wife were deep in conversation, minding our own business when this fairly large idiot decided he wanted to reach up my wife's dress and grab her ***. He was a bigun. About 6'3", 250 or so, large arms, kinda looked like a pirate wearing a black leather vest and jeans.
Now I will back down from a fight on a lot of issues. Grabbing my wife's *** isn't one of them.
Still, I didn't want to be the first one to swing, so I just told him to apologize to my wife. He asid, "F--- you, ya little twerp", and "what are ya gonna do about it?", (I haven't heard that one since grade school). So I shoved him in his chest and yelled, "well let's see what ya got"! He came back swinging, I ducked and countered and caught him square in his mouth, side of his head, neck, nose, ribs; wherever else I could score. He dropped to his knees, bleeding from his nose, with a really dazed and confused look on his face. Then I took him down to face on the floor, put my knee in his back and locked his arm and wrist behind him. Then I pulled his wallet out and took his drivers license. About that time I noticed several people applauding and laughing. Turns out, the guy had been messing with people all night. Then the cops showed up and cuffed both me and him. But they let me go after hearing from witnesses. They took him with them across the street to the police station. Apparently he had outstanding warrants against him. What a moron. Starting a bar fight knowing he has warrants. My personal nominee for the Darwin awards this year.
I gotta say though, if I hadn't been crossfitting all spring and summer, things might've turned out a lot different. Busted my knuckles up pretty bad, but I wasn't even winded.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
David Werner

Profile:
Nice Don

That's where I would draw the line - no shame there.

Dave Werner
CrossFit North
Old 08-28-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I agree with David. If it's about me, I'll swallow my pride and walk away, but no one should ever make the mistake of screwing with anyone I care about.

I've always liked the song, "Coward of the County."
Old 08-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Excellent site for those interested in MA and SD - Geoff Thompson's site. www.geoffthompson.com .
Very similar to this board in that it's a sensible, no-nonsense, results-oriented and highly respectful and supportive environment. Lots of pepole with a lot of experience.
The message board is outstanding.
http://message.geoffthompson.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
(I've recommended Crossfit over there, seems fair to return the favor).
JK