CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #151
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Westside Strength Gains?

For people doing ME, DE work and assistance, can they only call it Westside if they are making gains?

Or maybe I should ask what should one call their training if they are following the key principals of Westside/Louie? Clearly we can't all do the workouts you guys do because we can't train there. What would Louie want all of us posers to call it? Or it would rock if you posted them like daily WODs.

I think if someone criticizes the system, I think it is fair to question them and to see if they did something wrong and then point it out so they can move forward.

I guess I keep asking so I'm clear on what not to do and why.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #152
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I think part of any programs problems stem from how we as individuals modify them based on our understanding, available equipment, "coaching" by others and more.

Let's be honest, 5-3-1, gslp, 5x5 all look different from what has been written when you view what people post as their workouts. When asked why they 'strayed' from the plan/path the answers are as numerous as the sands on a beach.

The question comes down to how much can we stray from the "core" of a program and still say we are following that program.

I toss in some ME and dynamic days during my weeks (posting less I know... Blame it on kids, school, work) but I can't say I'm following westside from just that. I do villain challenge 1 on occasion for my tank and some neck harness work, but I won't say I'm following gslp. If I do a day of 5x5 I'm not saying I'm following that program, simply borrowing a proven linear strength gain.

These boards are great because you can read the book/web page, and ask questions and hopefully get some answers that point you more to the core of a program.

Sure sometimes we get in arguments and discussions, but please if you haven't read a book, Or spent time with a coach who has and knows it, don't expect just because you read a few comments on a t-nation discussion thread to "know" how to correctly do a program. When advice is given, filter it through who is giving it.

I'll be honest we need to find a program (based on what our goals are), and stick with it for 6-12 months and allow it to do its job. We need to stop trying to do 5 days of heavy lifting with 6 days of metcons, and wonder why we aren't growing on a 2200 calorie diet... (I speak from experience)

So if you want to know about westside buy the book. Gslp, buy the book. How to cook Chinese food, buy a book...

Then post a question, and thank Chris for doing what he does best, give free help and answers on a subject many people would charge you for.

We can all seem like jerks when you read our posts because all you get is a wall of text. My demeanor doesn't come across so easy. So give a little grace and hope for some in return.

It keeps the boards a great place for everyone to learn and grow. It helps us gain strength and knowledge as we push our bodies to enjoy a healthy life now and for many years to come.

So thanks to guys like Eric, Chris, Glen, Sean and many others I could list for helping to share knowledge and experience to those of us who really want it.

Last edited by Shawn M Wilson : 06-27-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #153
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
For people doing ME, DE work and assistance, can they only call it Westside if they are making gains?

Or maybe I should ask what should one call their training if they are following the key principals of Westside/Louie? Clearly we can't all do the workouts you guys do because we can't train there. What would Louie want all of us posers to call it? Or it would rock if you posted them like daily WODs.

I think if someone criticizes the system, I think it is fair to question them and to see if they did something wrong and then point it out so they can move forward.

I guess I keep asking so I'm clear on what not to do and why.
Are they really following the key principles, or do they train like weasels? One cannot gauge intensity etc. from a message board. Myself, Louie, Shane and Laura and so on have trained too many people, from rote beginners to elite strength athletes, and have seen the system work wonders for virtually EVERYONE that does it properly to believe it when someone says they are not making progress. If they are not, they simply are not doing the program properly or they have a serious health issue.

Robert, you are a great guy, but I honestly believe you suffer from paralysis by analysis. You seem to understand the system quite well. My guess is any issue you have is entirely related to HOW you actually execute what you know. I cannot coach that unless I train you in person or I get a lot of videos.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #154
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I agree I can overanalyze things and I think you bring up a good point that probably applies to most intermediates trying to become advanced. They can follow a program that is written but can they bring the intensity? Agreed this can be the toughest thing to gauge over the internet.

Since I train alone most of the time, this can be a tough variable to ramp up without the support/competition of a bunch of partners, probably something that really pushes guys at Westside.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #155
Sandon Viers

Profile:

Quote:
I agree I can overanalyze things and I think you bring up a good point that probably applies to most intermediates trying to become advanced. They can follow a program that is written but can they bring the intensity? Agreed this can be the toughest thing to gauge over the internet.

Since I train alone most of the time, this can be a tough variable to ramp up without the support/competition of a bunch of partners, probably something that really pushes guys at Westside.
Get yourself a workout partner! I know it can be hard to find someone though. Everyone I ask to join me never sticks with it, or only wants to do metcons because weightlifting is boring or "feels like it doesn't do anything". Frustrating.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #156
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
If you are having trouble getting stronger, look at the simple things first. Try working out at different times. If you are not a morning person, then switch to working out later on in the day. Are you getting good sleep? And probably the biggest one, are you eating enough?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #157
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Overall I'm making progress, I think Chris hit it on the nose, I like to analyze all parts of training--partially for fun and partially for efficiency. Since switching to a Westside Model, I've been really enjoying training and have set records in the bench, squat and deadlift. Maybe not huge PRs, but moving forward after some years of stagnation. Probably the one thing I need to master is analyzing my weaknesses, which a full time training partner could help with.