CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Matthew Apostol

Profile:
Is ART/Trigger Point Therapy effective for Shoulder Impingement?

Greetings,

I've been reading several threads on this forum about Shoulder Impingement Syndrom and ART/Trigger Point Therapy. However, I could find little information on how effective ART or Trigger Point Therapy is when applied towards shoulder impingement.

I read in a post by Bryan Gates that says "Shoulder Impingement issues usually stem from shortened or tight muscles (read: trigger points) of the rotator cuff, usually supraspinatus or teres minor."

Are any of these two therapies usefull for correcting shoulder impingement? Which one would be more effective?

My injury history:
Cause: didn't tap to keylock submission attempt during BJJ tournament
Date: 5 OCT 08
Rest: No upperbody exercises starting three months ago
Physical Therapy: standard stretches, rotator cuff exercises 3 X week
NSAID: Mobic once a day
Other therapies: just finished cortizone shot therapy
Current status: pain has been greatly reduced. Almost next to no pain when I'm static. But pain returns after doing intense PT.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Chris Terry

Profile:
Re: Is ART/Trigger Point Therapy effective for Shoulder Impingement?

If shortened muscles/trigger points are the issue(s) with your shoulder pain then ART/Trigger Point Therapy will be very effective for treatment. Utilizing a stretching protocol without addressing TP will be more aggravating if you maintain the stretch for more than 3-5 seconds. Check out Kelly Starett's shoulder stuff at the CF journal. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:

The move your talking about looks like it forces internal rotation of the shoulder. The damaged muscles would be the external rotators of the humerus (infraspinatus, posterior deltoid, teres minor). Hopefully you didnt tear something that isnt healing. Since it has been so long you could have developed satellite trigger points in other areas such as the internal rotators. Those may need to be addressed to remedy the entire situation.

http://triggerpoints.net/ (safe)

Look for Christian Lemburg's posts for more info on trigger points.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Hi Matthew,

in short, yes, trigger point self-massage is effective in treating shoulder problems.

In your case, you probably had acute structural damage as well as muscle strains etc., but this should be long gone by now. Trigger points will be a part of the picture for you, that is pretty sure. You might have a long-term structural problem here as well, but this can only be really checked by MRI scan. The trigger point stuff is something you can check out for yourself.

The muscles to check are indeed all the rotator cuff muscles, and the rhomboids. Wikipedia has a good article you can start out from for both (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhomboid_muscle, both wfs), including exercises that will help you to pinpoint problems. Searching on the forum here will also be helpful, this has been asked many times.

Check for hard knots feeling like rubber cables that hurt really bad when pressed on (maybe hurts somewhere else than you press, that is the funny thing with trigger points, but it will hurt a lot). This is what you need to massage, see the link in my sig for why and how (please note the link down in that post to massage with wall hook, this is what you need for the supraspinatus, and search on this forum for subscapularis to find a description of how to massage that muscle).

Regards,

Christian
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Matthew Apostol

Profile:

Christian,

Thanks for the info. I'll definately look into it.