CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Colin McFerran

Profile:
C2 vs Water Rower

I'm wondering why the C2 rower is recommended exclusively? It's a great machine but so is the Water Rower. Any particular reason?

Regards
Colin McFerran
Brisbane Australia
Old 03-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: C2 vs Water Rower

I think it's mostly availability. I've never seen a water rower, though I've read the promo material for them. OTOH, C2s are ubiquitous, if typically underused in most public gyms.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Water rowers are also more expensive than C2s, at least the water rowers that I've seen.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I did not try water rower but I am wondering if it properly simulates deceleration
of the boat. I would assume that water in the tank of the rower slows down much faster than a boat in water... unlike the air rower (Concept II)... what that means is that you would start the boat from almost complete stop every pull instead of maintaining the speed... but I might be wrong.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev; 03-26-2008 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Joe Novotny

Profile:

I own a C2 model D and I have used a water rower at the gym I used to go to. I actually really liked the water rower, it was smooth and the monitor was similar to the monitor on my model D although probably not quite as powerful (its hard to know since I didn't really mess with it much). The sound of the water is also nice. I can't speak to the deceleration of a real boat since I have never rowed on water. BUT the water rower was almost twice as expensive as a new C2 (mine was $400 used), it is much heavier and harder to move due to the water and the one at the gym began to leak all over the place. In addition, the gym never changed the water in the rower and it became quite disgusting.

All in all, the only real advantage of the water rower was the sound of the water vs the fan on the C2, but given the maintenance issues, the cost and the difficulty moving the water rower, I would still buy the C2 for my home gym.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
James Stroud

Profile:

I own both a Concept2 Model D and a WaterRower. I like both but they are different enough that the features of each should be carefully considered before buying one. I don't have any of the problems that plague machines at athletic clubs. I take very good care of my equipment. I put a fairly detailed and hopefully objective comparison on my website. I think it's worth reading for someone who is considering buying a rower.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Hi Colin,

fast summary of C2 vs. water rower:

- water rower is much more quiet and uses less storage room, making it ideal for home use; it also has much nicer, soft-attack "rowing in the water" feel without that sharp attack at the catch when the chain straightens on the C2
- unfortunately, the computer readings on the water rower are not useful for comparison across different devices, due to the inherent problems of different water levels in different devices
- so if you want to compete or compare yourself to others, you have to go C2 - it is THE STANDARD in every gym across the world
- also, there is a used device market for the C2, but not for the water rower, making it possible to obtain a C2 at a lower price (but that depends on where you live - actually, here in Germany, a new water rower is cheaper than a new C2)

@Joe: about your experiences - you wrote:
- "the water rower ... is much heavier and harder to move due to the water": DEFINITIVELY NOT TRUE - actually being able to move the water rower is one of the advantages of the device - stand it up and roll away, done in seconds (I do that every day to move it into the corner of my home gym)
- "the one at the gym began to leak all over the place.": then they have not read the manual and have overfilled the tank. The water rower will not leak if you don't overfill it or crack the water tank. I have had no problems at all in more than one year of regular use with near-daily moving of the device.
- "the gym never changed the water in the rower and it became quite disgusting": one more indicator that they did not read the manual - you are supposed to use chlorine tablets in regular intervals (only needed if there is enough light - in my basement home gym, I don't need to change the water - not enough light for algae to grow).
- "given the maintenance issues, the cost and the difficulty moving the water rower, I would still buy the C2 for my home gym": I can not endorse that point of view. The water rower needs very little maintenance, is easy to move, and is much more quiet than a C2, which is why I would recommend it over the C2 for home gym use IF you are not primarily interested in comparable results across devices / people.

Disclaimer: I own a water rower for home use, and occasionally use a C2 at gyms while traveling.

Regards,

Christian
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Mike Maddalena

Profile:

C2, hands down. You aren't going to find a serious collegiate rowing program or private club that uses anything but the C2. The measurements are more accurate to that in a boat and it is the standard if you want to compare to other rowers. It's also going to be much easier to maintain and resell if you decide to upgrade to a newer model. Go with what is tried and true. Plus, the folks at C2 are all rowers--they know the sport and will provide you with great service.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Edward Doll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maddalena View Post
C2, hands down. You aren't going to find a serious collegiate rowing program or private club that uses anything but the C2. The measurements are more accurate to that in a boat and it is the standard if you want to compare to other rowers. It's also going to be much easier to maintain and resell if you decide to upgrade to a newer model. Go with what is tried and true. Plus, the folks at C2 are all rowers--they know the sport and will provide you with great service.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Joseph Brown

Profile:

I have a waterrower and have used a C2 rower.

To me, it boils down to what you plan to use it for.

The waterrower is very nice and comfortable for long slow cardio work, but not a great tool for intervals and races. That is where the C2 excels.
So, yes, for most crossfitters, the C2 is a better fit.

I personally would love to have one of each, but dont have the money or space for it.