CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Matt Berardi

Profile:
Olympic-Style Lifts with Dumbbells?

What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Deadlift - Seems to be no disadvantage to me, if anything the advantage of greater range of motion
Squat - probably harder to lift as much weight, too muhc pressure on the arms and not enough emphasis on the legs
Bench - better range of motion, less injury
Clean - better range of motion but probably harder to master technique

I currently have Ironmaster Dumbbells that can hold up to 165 lbs per db, so for my strength they are more than sufficient. I love how they take up such little space yet provide so much weight capacity. As a matter of fact I train Tabatas style usually so they're plenty of weight indefinitely.

My question is - is there any olympic lift that is significantly better with a barbell than a dumbbell or is it mostly personal preference? Clean and Squat are the two that stand out for me, but I don't have much experience Oly lifting yet. If I am missing a lift feel free to call me on that as well.
I realize for any kind of competition / crossfit barbells are a requirement, but my goals are overall strength and fitness.

Thanks for the help,

Matt
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Olympic-Style Lifts with Dumbbells?

I think the main disadvantage would be that you can not lift enough actual poundage to continue gains due to stablizer muscles failing and/or grip. Same for all those lifts. I would agree that they are great for variety, but go buy a bb.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Matt Berardi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I think the main disadvantage would be that you can not lift enough actual poundage to continue gains due to stablizer muscles failing and/or grip. Same for all those lifts. I would agree that they are great for variety, but go buy a bb.
Yeah, I think you're right. I don't have the dough to buy the power rack I want right now so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit. I probably should have bought the rack / bb first and the db later. Oh well! I'm making the best I can with the dumbbells, definitely gives me a challenge but I agree I probably need the bb for the explosive olympic movements
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

There is a very recent thread, and many many others, illustrating DIY squat stands. Those and a craigslist bb and weights will get you very very far.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Dear Matt,

when I started out, I did Oly-like lifts using sandbags and dumbbells for some time, because I did not want to commit to buying a barbell, bumpers, lifting platforms, and racks.

I was wrong. I just delayed my progress.

*ALL* the Oly lifts are much better with a barbell than with dumbbells or other implements. IMHO the only "decent" Oly-like lift with a dumbbell is the dumbbell snatch. But it is a very different movement from the barbell snatch, since the jump is necessarily to one side, so it does not transfer as well to jumping.

Go out and buy the barbell stuff - it is totally worth it. The barbell and bumpers was the best buy I did after getting the rings. Rings and a barbell with bumpers are the two top must-have items, IMHO.

For some savings:
- you don't need a full lifting platform - two 120x80cm MDF boards with some old carpet on them will go a long way - you just stand in between them - much easier to build and cheaper
- racks - just get standard adjustable working stands from the hardware store - I found adjustable 500kg tested stands for 25 EUR each over here
- bumpers and barbell - yes they are expensive - you have to eat it - maybe you can get some used equipment or a set, that works quite well sometimes

Regards,

Christian
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
John Kolody II

Profile:

I agree with the above posts about transference to the Clean and the Snatch using a barbell vs. dumbbells.

An alternative to squats with the dumbells would be belt squats. Get yourself a dip belt or somhow run a chain through any lifting belt and then attach you weights, step up on two boxes and squat away. The belt squat is used by powerlifting who want to deload and don't want the load of a bar across their backs. There are also specific machine built for this but they are even rare to find in commercial gyms.

Quick rant:
In the olympics the lift is called the Clean and Jerk. The weight is cleaned to a racked position and then Jerked overhead. Two exercises the Clean , and then the Jerk.
These boards have alot of people calling the lift the Squat Clean, or Full Clean, or Clean and Squat, yes you need to get into a full squat to perform the lift. I think the world is adding the detail because alot of us are used to doing half a** Power Cleans in highschool were you rack the weight in a quarter squat.

Don't mean to sound like a Jerk, and this is not aimed at you, just thought it was a good time to get it out of my system. Thanks for the rant.

Happy lifting
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Matt Berardi

Profile:

You guys are helping me to think about things clearly, thanks very much!

This stinks, I bought the dumbbells coming from a bodybuilding mentality of isolation and the idea that I can do anything with them that I can a barbell. Now I have converted to a simplistic compound movement mentality - seems now like the dumbbells are useless!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

SOrt of relevant to the thread,, but none fo the lifts you mentioned are Olympic weightlifting lifts.

The bench, deadlift and squat are powerlifts and the clean is a portion of a competed lift.

As far as the bb vs db, the barbell allows you to use more weight and get stronger faster. The dbs allow you to train stabilizers better. If you are new and are still making linear progress, use the bb.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
James Napier

Profile:

Don't forget that the squat clean/snatch is a failed power clean/snatch, even a half a** one at that.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

the squat clean and snatch is the way to lift the most weight. The one who lifts the most weight wins.