CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Joel Wallenius

Profile:
  Sweden
Sharp pain above the medial malleolus when running

Hello folks!

Last year I began barefoot running, first I tried socks and plastic bags, but my feet got wet anyway so switched to vibrams.

Long story short, I've had a few injuries and some are healed now, but this last injury has stuck for 6 months, I gave up running around 3 months ago and simultaneously went to a physiotherapist. Bottom line was that my feet are too flat, and the muscles who are supposed to reduce pronation were too weak - so they got inflamed yadda yadda.

It's better now, I can do burpees and frogjumps without pain - but I fear that if I start running again, the story will repeat itself.

I love running, but since it always leads to injuries for me, I have grown wary of it. I want to know how I can remedy this situation and free my feet from pain. The physiotherapist told me to use anti-pronation shoes, but I loathe shoes and told her that. She then said that walking barefoot with a weighted backpack for a few months and then very lightly begin running in grassy hills would maybe fix it.

I haven't gotten around to the hill running yet, partly because I'm still very afraid of that the pain might return. I'd like your take on this.

Big thanks in advance

Joel

Last edited by Joel Wallenius; 06-16-2009 at 03:25 AM..
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Re: Sharp pain above the medial malleolus when running

Dear Joel,

Hidden Causes of Injury: Prevention and Correction for Running Athletes and Joggers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0685699188 - wfs), a book recommended by Ozzie Gontang (see bio at http://www.mindfulness.com/category/mindful-running/ or http://www.posetech.com/services/OzzieGontang.html - both wfs), has a lot of info on this difficult problem.

Basically, you need to strengthen the control muscles that control your ankle and knee, and you maybe need to educate yourself to run in a way that minimizes the pronation. Depending on the "orthopedic setup" of your feet/legs/hips, this may be a very hard exercise, or it may be quite easy.

The big question here is: were you a victim of "too much too fast", do you have "bad habits", or do you have existing structural problems that need to be addressed by other means (orthotics, surgery, etc.)?

I don't think it will be easy to solve this question by internet alone. Try to get in contact with some experienced running coach that knows about a "natural" running style like POSE etc., and get an informed first-hand opinion.

Alternatively, I would encourage you to experiment with balancing exercises to strengthen your leg control, and to ease into running VERY conservatively, building up from simple jumping / running in place drills (like in POSE) via a walk / run scheme to - let's say - a 3k run in about 3-6 months.

The process of re-learning to run without shoes takes long - for most, on the order of months or years rather than weeks - and injury is all over the place if you hurry it.

Regards,

Christian
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Collapsed arches:

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44274
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44960

Read and DO (especially read the PDFs and links I post).
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Joel Wallenius

Profile:
  Sweden

I like how you cut the crap and go straight for the problem, Stephen. Without you, this forum would be much less.

Last edited by Joel Wallenius; 06-22-2009 at 02:05 PM..