CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Christy Warren

Profile:
The flu

I think we should start a flu thread. I bunch of people are getting the flu and we can comiserate (sp?) together and say what we did/didn't do to get better or what made us worse. I am just getting over the flu. I was sick with a nasty cold in the beginning of the month, got better, did the WOD plus 50 burpees to make up for lost time. Shortly after, I got the flu. I am thinking I should have taken it easier. What is going on with all you out there who are sick and bored?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: The flu

This thread may be of some use wfs

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=3470

Also, if you feel like you're getting sick or recovering from it take the rest as recovery especially if you haven't taken a break in a while. Ramp back in very slow. Reason being that it's FINE to lose a week or so to rest while you can work weaknesses such as flexibility or other skill work like handstands or whatever else.

However, if you get sick or re-sick then you're gonna lose weeks if not months in training time.

/rant on

This is similar to any injury. If you feel pain stop. That's your body telling you that it doesn't like that exercise. Find out and solve the problem. If you keep on training then you're going to get a permanent injury that'll put you out for weeks.. if not months or years. It's just overall detrimental... but often we think too short term as in "I gotta finish this workout!" No you don't and missing a couple workouts here and there isn't going to matter much in the long scheme of things... missing lots of workouts cause you're injured IS.
/
rant off
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Christy Warren

Profile:

thanks for the link! I am gonna get me some vitamin D. I usually overdo it. I really don't feel like I am doing enough. I really have to make myself cut back when I feel something coming on. I do find it very interesting that there was an article posted saying that the medical folks did a study and say that you SHOULD work out if you have a cold. crazy.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy Warren View Post
thanks for the link! I am gonna get me some vitamin D. I usually overdo it. I really don't feel like I am doing enough. I really have to make myself cut back when I feel something coming on. I do find it very interesting that there was an article posted saying that the medical folks did a study and say that you SHOULD work out if you have a cold. crazy.
Getting blood flowing is a good idea. Speeds up flow of blood and thus immune response to the rest of the body. A very light workout.. maybe a jog or something like that.

High intensity work... e.g. CrossFit, sprinting, heavy lifting, etc. tends NOT to be a good idea because microtears in the tissues require immune response to heal. Thus, immune response is diverted from fighting the bacteria/virus to help cleanup your own cells. So in this case it's NOT a good idea.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Rich Sabin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Getting blood flowing is a good idea. Speeds up flow of blood and thus immune response to the rest of the body. A very light workout.. maybe a jog or something like that.

High intensity work... e.g. CrossFit, sprinting, heavy lifting, etc. tends NOT to be a good idea because microtears in the tissues require immune response to heal. Thus, immune response is diverted from fighting the bacteria/virus to help cleanup your own cells. So in this case it's NOT a good idea.
From my experience I will only do the LIGHTEST amount of exercise possible during a sickness and as the symptoms subside. The medical community is divided on the topic of exercise during illness. Some sides believe it increases the immune response and others believe it decreases it. Why take the risk? Do light spinning or power walking. Then ease back into the workouts by just doing the warmups and maybe some light rowing.

I always find ZICAM nasal gel to help with my symptoms along with taking 50mg zinc, vitamin c, and a multivitamin that has b-complex. In addition some people take colostrum... but I havent seen much data on that.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

There is no division.

1. Immune system is depressed after high intensity exercise.

2. Overall, health will be better because the immune system strengthens itself to deal with that stressor, but that is days after subsequent workouts when the body has healed.

So basically if you get hit by viruses/bacteria right after you did a high intensity workout, it's likely you may get sick. Otherwise, couple days after your workout your immune system will tend to function better.

I've only been sick twice in the past like 3-4 years, and it's only been after high intensity workouts.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Like Steven and many others, I have also experienced that high intensity exercise increases your risk of getting sick in the short term. All the colds I got in the last 2 years were preceded by "hard" training, often with added work stress on top of it. You should not neglect the impact of other stress factors like work life, travel, lack of sleep, etc. - they will add impact on top of your training. Better to take a short break and really recover than to risk long-term training interruptions.

And I hope I do not have to mention that exercising while having a real flu or other inflammation is dangerous - you can get an inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), which is killing some athletes every year (just now, in Germany, known 800m runner René Herms died of it after a not fully recovered flu).

Quote:
"The sudden death of René Herms was caused by a heart muscle infection, triggered by an already for some time existing kind of "common" Herpes infection. No traces were found indicating doping. Around Christmas 2008 René Herms did take a break from training, being ill (fluenza). He died on Januari 9th, 2009." - http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/disc...b690a2a36cdf4d, http://www.leichtathletik.de/index.p...87&IsArchive=1) (wfs)
Quote:
"The main reasons for cardiovascular deaths of younger athletes (< or = 35 years) were the coronary heart disease (36.1%) and myocarditis (30.6%)." (Organ pathology causing sudden death in athletes. International study of autopsies (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10544609) (wfs)
Good luck, and train safely,

Christian
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Jim Lorenz

Profile:

Hard workouts depressed my immune system for sure.

The rest of the family has been sick w/ flu for the last 2 weeks and I didn't get it ... cause ... I was a CrossFitter and I had the flu shot.... or so I thought.

While DW was still in the coughing stage of flu recovery, I did a 2 hour hilly trail run one day (my longest ever run in my life).

Next day I did 3x5 Thrusters and PR on Helen.

The third day I rested.

The day after that I came down with the flu.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Denny Boehmer

Profile:

Day two of the flu for me. Got it from my daughter. Didn't eat anything the last two days. Just water and apple juice.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Stacy Sells

Profile:

Thought I was having allergy problems, so in the spirit of my marathon ruck march I got coming up I went ahead and rucked 16 miles. Bad Idea. I checked my temp before I left and it wasn't high, so I thought I was just feeling bad. Two hours after I get back I got a temp of 101. I'm thinking flu, my brother in law has it full blown and I was drinking out of a water bottle after him on Friday. Going on vacation next week, hope it's better by then. I feel all of your pains, try to eat what you can and get plenty of rest.