CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #21
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Taha: You might want to try to avoid starches and high glycemic foods such as processed cereal, bread, rice, potato, juice etc. Even in the zone some people digest these faster than they metabolize them or store them in the muscle. Hence the remaining carbs convert to fat. The Mastering the Zone book says you can have wine and cheese for example and still be in the zone. But any good document on high triglycerides will tell you to avoid wine. Cholesterol is a form of fat you can consume from an animal source, or that your body makes for you. If you make fat, and then later in the day use this for your energy source, the body will become efficient with the calories you’re consuming.

I also recommend that you measure yourself every six weeks at multiple locations. Once I decided to change my body/health, I changed not only what I ate but my workout, typical of a lot of people that post here. I went through periods where for weeks I lost nothing on the scale, yet my waist went down three inches. Then I started working on core body strength, and again the scale froze and this time my waist did not change but my thighs dropped significantly. Then there is the inflammatory response from a good tear down workout that can cause you to gain water weight. This is enough to drive most people nuts. Figure out where you are going to measure and write it down. For example define your waist by measuring from your B-button, and on the upper arm from the crux of the elbow an index finger up and again as far as you can spread your pinky to thumb. It does not matter where you measure, but that it is consistent. Hang in there, and be patient, it will happen.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #22
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Thanks for the info Bobby. The only processed carb I'm eating regulary is oatmeal. I eat mostly fruits and veggies for the carbs - more fruits due the the quantity. I was chatting to scott Hagnas yesterday and he recommended going more paleo and cutting out as much dairy as possible due to its insulin response. I was using cottage cheese a lot and am now switching to more canned tuna,salmon and whatever other fish I can find :-)

I think I've been putting on more lean mass, so I am going to up my Zone blocks to 16 as per Robb's recommendation.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #23
Kyle Johnson

Profile:  
Great info guys, i have 4 books on the zone heading my way. One last question. I decided to try a 16 block day with 3-4 block meals and 2-2 block snacks...when should i eat these meals and snacks at. Are there certain times or can i just eat them as i like ?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #24
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Space em' out. First one within 1 hour of waking, next 4 hours later (lunch), afternoon snack 4 hours later, Dinner, then a bedtime snack. Don't mess with the timing or miss a snack, been there, done that and it's not pretty later (head in potato chip bag snarling at my wife as she tries to rip the bag from my claws).