CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Jeremy King

Profile:  
Hey everybody, I am having some trouble losing weight. I started the zone diet 2 months ago and I quit drinking beer (scariest 24 hours of my life, no just kidding I really did stop all the way) and I have manged about 10lbs off my originally 228lb 6 foot frame. I am 32 and my original body fat when I started the zone was 26%. I would love to hear suggestions regarding diet and how other people incorporate "cardio" into their crossfit regimen. Thanks all.
Jeremy
Old 08-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
If you're doing the WOD as prescribed, incorporating "cardio" shouldn't even be an issue. Do Fran, then ask about cardio again. Check out the Paleolithic Diet....I can't keep fat on when following this type of diet.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Weight loss is predominately a function of diet. Here's an often stated example.

To burn 300 calories takes about 30 minutes of fairly vigorous steady state running.

To eat 300 calories lets say a Snickers bar takes about 1-2 minutes.

However exercise, especially strength training keeps the metabolism revved and helps retain lean body tissue i.e. muscle.

Combine Crossfit with the zone or another nutrient dence reduced calorie diet and give it time. 10 lbs in 2 months is good going.

If you want to add a little extra to your WOD's then I'd suggest brisk walking. Add it whenever you can. No risk of over training or injuries. Or add a sport, something you like to play. Still do your WOD and play football or tennis at te weekend or an evening a week.

Hope that helps

Ger
Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
About adding "cardio", just live a more active lifestlye. Play sports for fun, walk to the grocery store, bike places instead of using the car/bus. Good active recovery work as well.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeremy, with a lot of weight to lose, I would follow the above suggestions, realize your only going to lose about 1 - 2 lbs of fat a week (this will add up though), and take a 45 minute walk, seperated at least 5 hours from the WOD. Dietary discipline is key.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Jeremy,

I`m in a very similar situation as you. I`m a little over 6 feet and weighed 226 when I started eating a Zone diet and doing Crossfit. I`m not doing the WODs as prescribed, but I`m modifying and doing substitutions and working my butt off.

I have dropped 12 pounds in the last month and am feeling great. No going back for me. Sure my diet slips now and then, but for the most part I`m sticking to it. I find that I`m cheating less and less though as I now realize it takes much more work to get the fat off than put it on.

Have you checked your body fat composition? I did it and found it much more inspiring than just checking my weight. By the scale I have only lost 12 pounds, but I actually lost more than that in fat while putting on muscle. The added bonus to putting on muscle is that it then keeps your metabolism higher and burning more calories every day. I have decided to stay off the scale for the next month and just wait until my next body composition check.

One tip that really helped me... whenever I feel tempted to deviate from my diet I promise myself I'll wait fifteen minutes and then see how I feel. Usually the craving has passed by then or I have eaten something healthier and am not hungry anymore.

Anyway, keep it up and good luck.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Todd Learn

Profile:
Just some minor semantics. At 6 feet tall and 228 lbs., depending on your goals, you really do not need to "lose" alot of weight. You may want to lose some body fat being at 26 percent is a little high. In my opinion it may be better to stay away from the scale and even the body comp testing as these numbers can be misleading. Your weight might stay the same even though you are losing large amounts of fat due to increased muscle mass. This can commonly happen with untrained individuals who start training for the first time as they can put on large amount of muscle mass in the beginning. And unless you have some place good to go for body comp testing it can be woefully inaccutate and fluctuate test to test depending on the person doing the test (calipers) or your state of hydration (electrical impedance).(underwater weighing is great, but expensive and difficult to find.) I am not saying you should never weigh or do body comp testing ( I do once or twice a year.) My suggestion is that you get some photos of yourself in shorts now and then take new ones monthly or even weekly. It is tough to gauge changes in your body by looking in the mirror every day as the changes are slow, but looking at the pics you take now a month or year from now will give you huge motivation to continue training and give you the best guage of your progress. (That is other than improvements in your training times and weights.) Anyhow just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Todd
Old 08-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
Get rid of the scale!! As a personal trainer, that is my first request of a new client. I will ask someone in the family (husband, wife, children) to hide the scale. Particularly at the beginning of the training, we typically put on muscle faster than losing body fat. I was 180lbs, 16% body fat (hydrostatic testing); 90 days later, 180lbs, approx 10% BF; 45 days later, 180lbs and approx 8% BF. Had I gone only by the scale weight, I would have thought 'this isn't working'!!!
Take your circumference measurements. Neck, chest, waist(at belly button) hips, shoulders, thigh, calf, biceps, forearm etc. Have the same person do the measurements at the same location each time. Record the results every 2-4 weeks. IF you are eating properly, and performing the WOD's you WILL see a change and that will motivate the heck out of you. My .02
Old 08-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Are you really doing the WOD? Honestly? If you're really racing that timer, the question of cardio should be so obvious as to be an inside joke with your fellow crossfitters. Maybe swap out the max effort days with something high-rep or bodyweight to keep your HR up, but other than that...
Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I'm 6 feet, about 225 lbs and 32 years old also...so we must be twins!
I know that the Zone only has about 1,300 cals. daily which is far too little for someone our size.
I lost weight easily using Body fof Life, which is basically 6 small balanced meals a day. I should be about 200lbs by the way. I gained my weight back sue to a woman who cooks a lot and likes to eat out. You know.