CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Trying out a new diet idea

So recently all this high fat talk has had me thinking. I was looking through my coursework from the past and review the function of lipids. As I recall, PUFA fats lower LDL and raise HDL levels. Saturated fats raise both. My thought is to fast and consume 40g of fish oil and 100 g of coconut oil. Since coconut oil doesn't raise LDL, this will be a synergetic combo I think. My hope is to get my LDL as close to zero as possible and bring my low thirties HDL up to 100 or so.

I plan to take in about 120g of protein a day and as close to no carbs as possible. I was wondering if drinking alcohol would help speed up the loss of water and I could be where I want to get in about 2-3 days? I think there was a guy who posted here a few years ago about something like that. It is mostly just alcohols and not many carbohydrates so it shouldn't affect ketosis right? Or should I wait and do it the old fashion way?

New goal is to cut the roughly 30lbs of fat on my body I calculated myself to have down to 10. Thoughts or any modifications? I was thinking I might have to up the fat so I have energy.....I have to cut weight and get back in shape for a Coast Guard contract with special missions unit.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Trying out a new diet idea

I think that 40 grams is a lot of fish oil, Bill.

I wouldn't advise using alcohol as a means of speeding up the process to ketosis either.

Out of curiosity, what caloric intake are you aiming for? 120g of protein doesn't seem like much, especially coupled with the whole zero-carb thing.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

1800-ish
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

What supps are you taking besides fish oil? 1800 kcal seems kind of low but I guess we need to know more. Ht, wt, bf% would all be helpful.

I think I remember reading this back in my A&P days.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Other than a multi-vitamin nothing. 5'11" 190lbs and I would guess 15% body fat. I was 18% this time last year and have been hitting the iron pretty hard so it seems reasonable to assume I lost some fat and replaced it with muscle.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

How much alcohol are we talking here? Going to be tough to get down to 7.5% BF from 15....

Right now, with your 100g coconut oil and 40g fish oil you're at 1260 calories out of 1800. Mind you, those are all fat so no insulin, which means it won't negatively affect your BF%. However, if you do comsume some alcohol there, don't you think that could possibly give you a massive spike and turn the fat against you?

Where are the other 600 kcals coming from?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

480 from protein and the rest from meager un-avoidable carbs. I was thinking 3-4 oz of liquor might help. But you are probably right. I ought to stick to the less fun way Maybe I can add EVOO as needed?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
So recently all this high fat talk has had me thinking. I was looking through my coursework from the past and review the function of lipids. As I recall, PUFA fats lower LDL and raise HDL levels. Saturated fats raise both. My thought is to fast and consume 40g of fish oil and 100 g of coconut oil. Since coconut oil doesn't raise LDL, this will be a synergetic combo I think. My hope is to get my LDL as close to zero as possible and bring my low thirties HDL up to 100 or so.

I plan to take in about 120g of protein a day and as close to no carbs as possible. I was wondering if drinking alcohol would help speed up the loss of water and I could be where I want to get in about 2-3 days? I think there was a guy who posted here a few years ago about something like that. It is mostly just alcohols and not many carbohydrates so it shouldn't affect ketosis right? Or should I wait and do it the old fashion way?

New goal is to cut the roughly 30lbs of fat on my body I calculated myself to have down to 10. Thoughts or any modifications? I was thinking I might have to up the fat so I have energy.....I have to cut weight and get back in shape for a Coast Guard contract with special missions unit.
I wrote a book on fat loss . If you go about 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs, it's doesn't really matter what kind of fat you take in. If you also stay about 5% under your caloric requirements, you will melt your fat at a rate that will amaze you. I know, I have done it. Don't worry about LDL. Your HDL will quickly get up into the 60-80 range and your TGs will drop like a rock into a 30-60 range.

Avoid yo-yo glycogen depletion, rebuilding cycle. Stay chronically low on glycogen. Ultra-low carbs, low protein and 5% caloric deficit will do that. If you have depleted glycogen, every WOD burns fat right away. Of course you have to learn quick HSL kick-start, which will take a week or two. Until then, you would have a feeling your heart is about to jump out of your chest at the start of the WOD. The longer the WOD, the better you would perform as your body learns to release fatty acids quickly and switches to beta oxidation away from glucose.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

PS. Avoid alcohol, it's just like fructose, will quickly rebuild your liver glycogen and raise your TGs.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
I wrote a book on fat loss . If you go about 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs, it's doesn't really matter what kind of fat you take in. If you also stay about 5% under your caloric requirements, you will melt your fat at a rate that will amaze you. I know, I have done it. Don't worry about LDL. Your HDL will quickly get up into the 60-80 range and your TGs will drop like a rock into a 30-60 range.

Avoid yo-yo glycogen depletion, rebuilding cycle. Stay chronically low on glycogen. Ultra-low carbs, low protein and 5% caloric deficit will do that. If you have depleted glycogen, every WOD burns fat right away. Of course you have to learn quick HSL kick-start, which will take a week or two. Until then, you would have a feeling your heart is about to jump out of your chest at the start of the WOD. The longer the WOD, the better you would perform as your body learns to release fatty acids quickly and switches to beta oxidation away from glucose.
@Alexander....
That has been my findings with my body... Went ultra low glycogen, high fat, ...my LDL is @110 but my HDL went up to 103 almost a 1:1 ratio with TG of 49... Needless to say my cardiologist was very happy!!!! Oh as a nice side effect I went from 270 down to 210 in about a year and only dropped about 5-10% off max lifts ( I was pretty solid to start) and the strength is coming back but my performance on everything else is through the roof!

As far as "HSL quick start" is was wondering why ( yes I have been eating moderate carbs every few weeks then cycling off) when I cycle off glycogen/carbs... My heart does feel like its going to explode for the first round of a WOD but then I go into overdrive and kill it.... The longer the WOD the better I preform. Any more info on this? I'm thinking I'd do just fine on very low glycogen permanently?

Bill.... I had great success with a similar diet but at eat a ton of green leafy and assorted veggy and get my fat with them in the form of EVOO, ghee, and coconut oil ( makes them very tasty) I find the veg keeps me very regular

Good luck... Keep us posted on your results