CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Debbie Bowden

Profile:
Beginner questions

Hi all! I've been doing crossfit for about a month now on my own and I love it! I have either made or acquired the equipment that I need to complete the majority of the WODs that I have seen so far. I decided to start crossfit because I wanted workouts that would really challenge me and a solid program that would improve my overall fitness and strength. I am a former athlete and "recovering" bodybuilder and am definitely not new to tough workouts. However, I am also 48 with the ego of a 22 year old when it comes to anything physical so I realize I am not always the best at scaling workouts on my own or even admitting it's time for a break. I am also into cycling and ride an average of 3 times a week (mountain and road bike).

So, that's my background coming into this. My questions are: for general fitness and strength am I good with the main site workouts or should I try something different? I've read some mixed reviews on the mainsite programming and have ventured off a little to the WOD@Home workouts. What I like about the mainsite is the scaling help and this forum where I can get help with questions that come up. Also, I've noticed alot of soreness the first two days after the workouts on the WOD@Home site. I didn't have this much of a problem with that when I was doing the mainsite stuff. Is this a normal thing or am I missing something in recovery? I've been doing 3 days on, then cycling on my off day. Usually I rest before a big road ride on the weekend and hit crossfit again on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks,
Debbie
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Michael Avila

Profile:
Re: Beginner questions

Hey Debby,

Welcome to CrossFit. It looks like you are on the right track, keep it up. The WODs on the main site are great source to use. Some times they maybe to overwhelming to do for most. But if you know how to scale great, if not videos could really help out.

I suggest going to affiliate web sites and use them as guides to other workouts as well. Sometimes the different programming can be more of a challenge, so you may be more sore after those workouts. So you are not missing anything for recovery, it is just the WODs them selves that are shocking your body, my opinion anyway.

Keep it up and good luck.

P.S. Cold baths will help a long way with soreness.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Debbie Bowden

Profile:

Thanks Michael! Is there an affiliate website that you would recommend? I have checked into a few, but they seemed a little hard to understand using acronyms for everything! Also, I know that there is a benefit to doing the extra skills/strength portion of the workout in addition to the WOD that you get with the affiliates as opposed to the main site WODs. Do you feel this is a vital addition, or is the WOD itself enough? Yesterdays workout, with the warmup, strength warmup, skills/strength workout and WOD combined ended up being quite a time commitment that I don't always have. What's your opinion on the extras with an affiliate site? Sorry for all the questions this morning. I'm just a bit overwhelmed by it all!

Thanks,
Debbie
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Debbie, I like the main site. Some don't, you have said you saw that it is scalable and that is the thing. It is a good over all workout to be well rounded in my opinion.

But what ever you do, what ever your plan. Stick to one program. Cherry picking is not good. You will go for things you like or are good at and neglect your weekness. Plus you can compound exercizes from day to day by cherry picking, not a good idea.

Soreness taking into account you are new to alot of the movements will be different from day to day. Scale right and it wont be bad. You know body building and know soreness. So go by feel. Try not to over train, take it slow for a couple of weeks or more to get your feet in it and move up when it is to ''easy''. It is better to move up slowly in reps or weight, then to do to much and get an injury and not be able to train.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Debbie Bowden

Profile:

Thanks Nik, that sounds like great advice! It seems like when you start something new, you're always worried you'll get it wrong and start to doubt what you already know! With that said, I do have one more question. My schedule does not always follow the 3 on 1 off plan. After a rest day, should I go back and pick up where I left off? It seems like if I jump back in on that day's workout, I'll get out of sequence with the program. I'm sure it isn't random and there is a set formula, so to speak?

Thanks again,
Debbie
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I would do that, better to be behind the program a few days as the main page post rest days, so being a week or so behind is solid so you can pick your own rest days.

alot of threads have argued that the mianpage is random and does not have a set program. I do not agree with that. I hope you thread does not turn in to an arguement of weather it is or is not.

I did the main page for 4 years and saw good gains across the board. All that is documented on my log for all to see. I changed off it to continue working out with a buddy of mine.

Anyway, like I said, be behind so then you can rest where you need it and pick it up right where you left off.

Also make a workout log in the log section for comparable stats and support.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Debbie Bowden

Profile:
Talking Re: Beginner questions

I've read some negative posts about the mainsite WODs also. I agree, I don't want this thread to turn into a sounding board for anything negative. I'll definitely take your advice and start a week behind (starting this afternoon!) and schedule/take my rest days as needed and I'll be sure to post my results. Thanks so much for all of your help today! I feel much better about my plan now.

Debbie
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Jose Soriano

Profile:

There's some good sites to check up on for acronyms/terms/jargon etc.

This one is great as it links to videos for the workouts too.
http://myathleticlife.com/2012/01/crossfit-terms-love/ (WFS)

Google/YouTube is also nice to get alternate or scaled down views/explanations of certain exercises.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Bowden View Post
I've read some negative posts about the mainsite WODs also. I agree, I don't want this thread to turn into a sounding board for anything negative. I'll definitely take your advice and start a week behind (starting this afternoon!) and schedule/take my rest days as needed and I'll be sure to post my results. Thanks so much for all of your help today! I feel much better about my plan now.

Debbie
Glad to help. I have been there so many times when I have hit a rough spot and question my training, but I have always stuck to it and not jump back and forth from one thing to another. It WILL pay off for you. Just have to stay in ot long enough. My log will attest to that.

Oh and make a workout log in the log section. It is handy and after a wile you will get suporters.