CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Gironda Dips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtOn...eature=related
link is NOT wfs because the pain in your shoulders from just looking at this will force you to curse up a storm and get fired by your boss or kicked out by your spouse.

I always thought that internal humeral rotation under the slightest load was asking for trouble... thoughts?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: Gironda Dips?

That exercise does not look nice.

Internal rotation of the humerus is normal. The lats and pec major are your primary internal rotators. You can easily train internal rotation with cables or bands by pulling your forearm across your body with your elbow pinned to your side.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

If you have the ability to do it, and it works for you, then why not do it? Unusual, dangerous for most, but he certainly seems capable.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Andrew James

Profile:

Vince Gironda had many unorthodox ideas.

If he were alive today, one of the first things he'd tell you is that he's a bodybuilding trainer, not a fitness coach or a functional exercise expert or anything of the sort. He was a bodybuilding trainer, pure and simple. His job was to make sure you looked good in posing trunks, not to make you run a 6 minute mile or have a 1000lb powerlifting total. Also, as he did not allow the traditional mass builders - bench press, back squat, deadlift, barbell row - many of his trainees were quite small in comparison to their competitors.

However, many of his trainees won titles as well. Both Larry Scott and Arnold Schwarzenegger trained under Vince for a time. That being said, some of his ideas for bodybuilding were pretty crazy. He claimed that at his gym, trainers did only isolation exercises. This was mostly true, but he did allow certain versions of compund exercises provided they were done in a way that would isolate the main targeted muscle group as much as possible.

The Gironda dip is a good example -- they really target pecs much more than deltoids or triceps, unlike regular dips which tend to spread the load out over those three muscle groups (and thus be a more effective overall mass builder, but Vince didn't give a damn about that).

Gironda also strictly banned back squats and lunges at his gym, as he felt they were a$$ builders rather than quad builders. In terms of compound exercises for the legs, he allowed machine hack squats, front squats performed like a weighted hindu squat, and roman chair squats.

For chest, Gironda favored the dip performed in the video above and the press to neck. Press to neck was basically a super wide bench press where the bar was lowered to the base of the neck rather than to the lower chest. The bar was then pressed straight upward remaining over the neck throughout the lift. It really isolates the chest.

Vince himself had an impressive physique, but IMO nowhere near Steeve Reeves or John Grimek or other pre-steroid era bodybuilders. If he had included the powerlifts as other bodybuilders of his time had, I think he would have been even better.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

found them fine, (years ago) start easy, (would not go that deep to start with), you need an angled set of dip bars more in a "V" than parrallel as this will save your wrists, and allow more natural rotation of the delt. (that is what Vince used) after a while found them easier on my shoulders than conventional dips or benches..
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gibbs View Post
found them fine, (years ago) start easy, (would not go that deep to start with), you need an angled set of dip bars more in a "V" than parrallel as this will save your wrists, and allow more natural rotation of the delt. (that is what Vince used) after a while found them easier on my shoulders than conventional dips or benches..
Well, since this is more of a sculpting exercise, I have no intention of trying it out... I was just amazed that someone could actually pull it off w/o injury. If this cats doing it w/no injury, more power to him. It's just unfortunate that some desk jockey poor alignment is going to try this and wreck his shoulders.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

ok, I JUST tried a few for the hell of it and holy cow, you can really feel it in your pecs. It's definitely an effective exercise but only for people that can handle it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Sweet Lord, I'll pass on those crazy wide dips, looks like nothing but trouble. My shoulders feel the strain with anything much outside my thighs.