CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Dustin A Black

Profile:
new in atlanta

hi everyone! new guy interested in crossfit here.

with 2 kids at home and a push to pay off the house as fast as possible (think dave ramsey) there's no way i can join one of my local crossfit gyms. most of them are in the 100-125/mo range.

i plan to spend plenty of time here reading and studying the garage gyms, learning about the movements and getting motivated.

i started my life change at just north of 300lb. my mother is overweight and it's caused her some serious health problems. i was in denial for years, and when i saw a 3 as the first number on the scale i knew i was in trouble and something had to give. i don't want the same struggles my mother has and i want to be a good example for my kids, not to mention i'd like to be around for a while

with my wife's help i drastically changed my eating habits. i track everything so closely that it's almost obsessive, but it's the only way it'll work for me. i have to give it that level of attention or i'll fail. my wife is very healthy and she is 110% committed to not only helping me but to changing our family's life as well.

we've moved away from as much processed junk as possible, incorporated as many raw foods into the diet as we can, and we all feel better than we ever have. one thing i've noticed - it's a lot easier to eat LESS when you're eating RIGHT. my body is happier on small amounts of the right foods than it was with large amounts of the wrong food.

i also have been hitting the gym 3-4x/wk. i'm getting stronger but i get stuck in a rut with the exercises. there are a few i like and i find myself gravitating toward them and not getting a complete workout. i ignore my core, and i know crossfit will help me get over that.

so today i'm about 50lb lighter than when i started. i'm definitely stronger, but only certain muscle groups are getting the full benefit. i can run now, which i've never really been able to do, and i enjoy it.

personal goals are to get down to 215-220lb, increase muscle mass, increase stamina, and train up for one of the many local half marathons in 2011. i'm also interested in serving in the Army reserve, and i won't be able to do it without more progress.

thanks for listening, wish me luck and i look forward to lurking and learning.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: new in atlanta

Welcome, and congrats on the steps you have taken so far. You've done the hard part... getting started. Now all there is to do is to continue following the process. Crossfit will definately get you out of your exercise rut!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: new in atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin A Black View Post
i started my life change at just north of 300lb. my mother is overweight and it's caused her some serious health problems. i was in denial for years, and when i saw a 3 as the first number on the scale i knew i was in trouble and something had to give. i don't want the same struggles my mother has and i want to be a good example for my kids, not to mention i'd like to be around for a while

with my wife's help i drastically changed my eating habits...

we've moved away from as much processed junk as possible, incorporated as many raw foods into the diet as we can, and we all feel better than we ever have.

thanks for listening, wish me luck and i look forward to lurking and learning.
Hey Dustin, congrats on the big steps!!!!! The way you have changed your eating habbits is the biggest and best step you could have made!

Your story is so similar to mine, my mother is an overweight diabetic, and my sister and brother are headed there as well.....

I made my turn around at 250#, shortly after my second kid was born.Four months ago when I started, I would have never dramed I could bench my body weight 5X in one set!

Good luck with everything! Remember: you will never get bored with the WoDs, and give it a month - the soreness will have gone down by then!