CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Mike Shaw

Profile:
Just Frustrated

Hi all,

I have been on a search for some time and whilst I have been through the archives I dont seem to be able to find the answer's needed.

Im wanting to build proper muscle whilst adding strength to MMA / BJJ type workouts, I have also just returned to doing early morning SS Style workouts. In the past I have repeatedly overtrained / not eaten a proper diet and have paid the price, this was a result of either a particularly stressful ME, CF or personal situation resulting in a crash.

My average week consists of the following:

AM PM
M SS BJJ
T SS MMA
W REST REST
T SS "WOD / GIRLS"
F RINGS REST
S LIGHT SS REST
S REST REST

Average day would consist of the SS workout's AM for approx 1hr then MMA training for approx 2 hours PM , Thursday evening is for high intense CF.
Whilst my job is not extremly physical the average output is more than someone at a computer all day........ Resting usually Wed, Sat night and Sun and given the above schedule I'm fearful of overtraining and am starting to feel it.

I have searched through a lot of workout / nutrition logs but cant seem to find a daily breakdown of food and the approx cal of my consumption relative to my output.....

AVERAGE DAILY MEAL CONSISTS OF FOLLOWING:

Pre AM W/O
2 EGGS, APPLE, ALMONDS
POST AM W/O
SHAKE w 2 x SCOOPS WHEY, 2 x BANANA'S, FLAXSEED OIL, APPLE JUICE
11 AM SNACK
100g DELI ROAST BEEF / TURKEY, CUP ORANGE JUICE, 6 MACADAMIA'S
LUNCH
HALF CHICKEN, 2 CUPS STEAMED BROC, CUP ORANGE JUICE, MACADAMIA'S
5PM SNACK
100g DELI ROAST BEEF / TURKEY, CUP ORANGE JUICE, 6 MACADAMIA'S
DINNER
400g STEAK, SALAD, BROC, CHEESE
PRE BED
SHAKE w 2 x SCOOPS WHEY, FLAXSEED, APPLE JUICE, (6-10) FISH OIL TABS

Given the above I dont feel "Great" and have noticed that if I bump up the AM intensity it wrecks me by weeks end. MMA & BJJ & CF are all at ME so its all pretty taxing on my body.

Sorry for the indepth layout I just havent seen a well laid out daily activity plan plus an acurate meal intake plan in the same thread simlar to mine. (If you record one pleeeeeeease let me know)

SO/:

Do I need to up the intake of fats (or more food in general) to decrease the chances of overtraining? Average sleep 7-8 hrs per night.... I really like this schedule but am feeling lethargic at times an am not putting on any significant weight / muscle gains..... Whilst strength is slowly getting better I think it is my love of the sports that keep my intensity high even though I feel like crap.... And like I said previously if I have a particularly intense couple of days im wrecked by weeks end......

Surely a lot of people must do high intense CF, MMA, BJJ workouts and play sport.... How do you balance it all and whats your average meal intake for 1 day?????
Old 10-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Just Frustrated

Mike;

WHAT'S WITH THE SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dump the juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, now that I'm done freaking out, what you're eating isn't too bad (except the sugar), so you have to calculate your calorie intake and macro nutrients, Carbs/Fats/Proteins. I like Fitday, there are other free programs. Look into the Zone for YOUR weight and activity level, but really, just watch food intake, along with water, how many quality calories going in and WHEN, get rest when needed, but let me repeat, sugar will kill you, fats are you're friends, carbs, well, not as needed as most think, but that's my two cents.
Bottom of my signature is my Fitday link, take a look and let me stress, I'm not a Poster Child for great eating, look over at George M's, who will probably chime in.
Have a great day, and remember, you're on the path, just place one foot in front of the other, repeat daily.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

I. How many cals is that for your diet? Based on the level of activity it doesn't look *nearly* enough.

II. That's 9 workouts total per week and you say they're all at max effort (except the light SS day). Hell yeah that's a lot and probably too much.

With a rings workout, CF girls, MMA, AND BJJ I don't think there's a reason to be doing that in addition to 3 heavy SS type workouts plus a light one. Especially if you're doing heavy stuff like DLs, oly lifts and squats.

This would be my recommendation:

Keep your SS type routines and cut out the rings and CF. If you want, you can integrate the rings into your SS type routines so you don't get rid of it completely. This would leave you with 3 heavy SS, 1 light SS and BJJ & MMA. That's basically about 3 strength, 1 light + 2 metcon which isn't half bad. Integrate rings into your SS/light SS workouts especially later in the week.

Organization would be something like:
AM PM
M REST BJJ
T SS MMA
W REST REST
T REST SS
F REST LIGHT SS
S REST SS
S REST REST

If you REALLY want to you can add in something do it on Sat morning. I wouldn't until you can figure out a routine that doesn't make you feel like crap. If it's going to be a metcon do the strength early in the day and put the metcon at night.

Last edited by Steven Low; 10-02-2007 at 02:04 AM..
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Get on Paleo/Zone, weather the transition period of getting used to less sugar/carb intake, ditch the juice (go whole fruit if necessary).

I'd highly suggest reducing your workout volume somewhere and getting 8-9 hours of sleep.

All that being said, a simple elimination of the fruit juice may be all that needs to be done.