CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Oiling a Pendlay Bar?

Hi,

I've had this pendlay bushing class bar for a very long time (a year maybe?) and noticed recently that it doesn't have a good spin at all. I bought some oil, and oiled both that and my MAC Barbell bar that I got for $25 off craigslist, and the MAC Bar has a WAY better spin than the pendlay does. Did I not oil the pendlay bar properly? For spending close to $400 for this thing I would think that it would last longer than a year. Also I don't want to take off the sleeves and void the warranty.

Thanks,

P.S. the stuff I used was the 3 in 1 oil.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Andrew White

Profile:
Re: Oiling a Pendlay Bar?

Couple of things;

1 year is not a "very long time" to have a barbell, and you are absolutely right that a barbell of any worth should last longer than a year. Don't worry, it is highly unlikely that your bar is "worn-out" in any sense.

The Bushing class barbells are not designed as high-end Oly bars but rather power bars for the Squat/Bench/Deadlift that have "enough" spin to adequately perform during Oly movements such as the C&J and the Snatch. As such a bushing bar will not have the spin of a bearing bar, but should still be serviceable in the lifts. Unless there is something drastically wrong the spin on your Pendy Bushing Bar should be fine for Oly moves. The only instances I can think of where this isn't the case would be; you are an Olympic level oly lifter using appropriate loads, the bar has been damaged in some manner [left loaded and thus warped, left outside and thus corrupted, etc.].

Most of the Pendlay Bushing bars from the last year [I think] have a gel lubricant rather than an oil lubricant and shouldn't require oiling. If you are noticing a lack of spin it could be a number of different things. It could be that your bar is isn't "broken in" yet [especially likely if you are just now starting Oly movements on the bar]. It could be how you have been storing the bar; if you have been storing it "standing up" i.e. on end, the lubricant may be flowing to the lower ends of the collars and you might not be redistributed. It may be that you just need to add weight.

I have a Pendlay Nexgen Bearing bar and it spins better with more weight on it. With no weight on the bar the collars will spin but there is a slight grinding noise. Once weight is added the grinding goes away and the bar spins beautifully. Your Bushing bar may be similar.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

The bar is always stored horizontal, and when weight is left on the bar, it is only if I'm worn out after a very heavy deadlift. Leaving deadlift weight on a bar while its sitting on the ground won't do any damage to it. You are right though, it does spin better with weight on it. I've always done Olympic lifts on it, so it should definitely be broken in by now. I just found it odd that a $25 used bar that I bought on craigslist, and was clearly much much older than the pendlay bar had a better spin with no weight on it.

Before oiling it, there was like almost no spin at all. I'd spin it, and it would stop instantly. After oiling it, it now spins for like 2-3 seconds. The used bar spins for like 5 after oiling it, and even before oiling it went for a couple seconds. I'm hoping that by putting oil in the sleeve, it didn't mess up the gel inside it.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Have you got a model number on that craigslist bar? Might be worth googling.

We've got some nice York oly bars, several Pendlay HDs, etc. We also came into some classic mystery metal bars of utterly unknown pedigree. One of them is easily the best spinning bar in the gym. It's a classic old split bushing POS that just works really, really well.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

No model number, but I think its a Texas Power Bar. On the end of the sleeve, there's an outline of the state of Texas and the word "Power" is written in it. Also it says "Grand Prarie Tx". It is made by MAC Barbell. The ****** I bought it from though spraypainted it with some anti-rust black spraypaint, a lot of which has worn off but it makes the bar look ugly. One of these days I'm going to use some paint stripper on it.