CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Ok, so Cordain claims that saturated fat is essential to human health as long as it is consumed in small quantities. Once it exceeds a certain level in the diet it begins to trigger inflammatory responses (according to Cordain). On the other hand, we have people like the Weston A. Price Org., Anthony Colpo, and others saying that this is not the case. As many of you probably know, I tend to side with the WAP/Colpo crew in the belief that saturated fat animal fat is completely healthy. Well, recently due to my schedule I have been forced to resort to more frequent small meals in a Zone Diet format (Ok Larry, you can rub it in my face, I admit I gave into the Zone). I use the eyball zone since I'm too broke to buy a scale and don't have time. Rather than using butter and fatty cuts of meat to get my fats I have began to use coconut oil and olive oil almost exclusively and have replaced fatty cuts of meat with leaner cuts. Much to my surprise, and as much as I hate to admit it, I have felt better than ever eating this way! My joints feel very lose and flexible, I look leaner, and I all around just feel incredible. So my question is has anyone else experienced something similar to this? Could it be that since I was getting my fats from domestic animal sources that I may have had an n6/n3 fatty acids imbalance that I was unable to notice until actually making a dietary change? Any opinions, ideas, or criticism are welcomed.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Are your eating zone prescribed carb ratios? What are your main carb sources?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I haven't been measuring or counting exact macronutrient ratios. I've been follow this rule:
at each meal I have 5 ounces of meat, a handful of nuts, a serving of veggies, and a piece of fruit, mostly out of convenience. I would guess that carb ratios are probably lower than Zone levels. I cook all of my lean meats in coconut oil and add olive oil to salads, which also contain nuts sprinkled over top. I would say I'm looking at about 125g carbs a day. Probably similar to an athletes zone.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
P.S. I get most of my carbs from starchy vegetables (squash, tubers, carrots, pumpkin, etc)
Old 10-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Craig Cooper

Profile:
When you were eating lots of animal fat, was it from grass-fed beef and pastured chicken, or just your run of the mill, sedentary, corn-fed animal? I know that personally, I eat a lot of animal fat, but it's all of good quality. I eat lots of grassfed beef, cook with ghee, and pick up a pastured broiler from the farmer's market whenever I can. I feel great, I'm the leanest I've ever been, and I have no problems with inflammation of any kind (as far as I know).
Old 10-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I had the same experience when increasing healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, macadamia nuts, avocados, etc.) and this goes along with Cordain and Rosedale's research. Dr. Weston Price's research indicates that h-g's did not use saturated fats nearly as much as the Weston Price Foundation indicates (except for the Swiss). I believe Paul Bergner estimated it was around 10% but will have to check on that. However I still think Sear's fat percentage is way too low, even for people who are not at the body composition they want to be at, and the carbs are too high. If you look at Rosedale's writing (and from what I understand he was treating insulin resistance before anybody else knew what it was) he indicates that cutting carbs for good oils helps normalize low HDL counts and high triglycerides.

Having said that, I still eat fatty cuts of (grass-fed) meat and the whole entire egg the way God made it.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Craig Cooper

Profile:
by the way, coconut oil is 100% saturated, so if you're replacing animal fat with coconut oil, you're probably consuming MORE saturated fat than you were before. Also, greg, olive oil's n6:n3 ratio is something like 19, Cordain suggests using it sparingly. According to him, Flax is the best, followed by Canola (which WestonAPrice poops all over, and I agree with them), and then walnut and avacado, from a n6:n3 ratio perspective.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Craig, coconut oil is 86% saturated fat. :msn-wink:
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Craig Cooper

Profile:
whatever, it's a lot of saturated fat.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Inflammation is an issue not because of the lack of omega 3s...but the excessive omega 6s in our diets...from veg oil products, grain fed animals, etc....so if you cut out all the bad 6s and still take fish oil for the 3s, you should see a dramatic difference.

BTW I get most my fats from X-Virgin olive oil and almond butter.