CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Tony Young

Profile:
I was lying in a pool of my own sweat the other day contemplating yet another mediocre WOD time thinking "I'm a 49 year old, recently athletic, physically unimpressive, guy...what the hell am I doing? If what science says is true I can't even see the top of the hill behind me. Who am I kidding? I probably won't get any better..." Pretty depressing, pity-party stuff.

Then I followed Dan John's words of wisdom and went back thru my training journal. And you know what? I have gotten better. Recently. And I think I've discovered something for myself. I'm nowhere close to working at my best. Not remotely. So, even if I am losing capacity due to age, shortening flexibility, decreasing quickness, loss of strength and power, I can still continue to improve to the upper end of my ability and I shouldn't have to worry about running into my decending level of capacity for, who knows, years, maybe. I may never be a CrossFit demigod but I'm better than I was. I feel better.

Just a thought...
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Tony, Prior to the 1800's, men continued to be productive and LIVED until death. However, during the 1800's, Chancellor Bismarch of Germany recognized that all his political rivals were over the age of 65. He and his political buddies passed a law that stated you were not able to compete for political office after the age of 65.
Since that time, most people psychologically 'prepare' themselves for death sometime after their 40's-50's.
I don't pay attention to science. That's for people who want an excuse.
I don't pay attention to a doctor's prognoses. Their prognoses is a guess based on the results of individuals who believe them and they repeat it over and over one patient after another to artificially create it as the norm. We believe therefor we become. I choose not to believe.
I don't listen to one's opinion. It may be true for them, but not for everyone, especially not me.

At 53, I am gaining capacity, improving flexibility, increasing quickness and gaining strength and power. Thanks to CF, it is all happening faster.

I attended the CF Sept seminar and performed a ring dip for the first time since high school. Now I am doing 25 and yesterday I held a 'lever' for 10 seconds.

Last year, at 52, I set a world record for sit-ups.

You are blessed. You found CF at the young age of 49. I wonder what you will be capable of doing at 52!!

At 54 I want to do a WOD with Greg Everett and Greg Amundson.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I know what you mean. A while back my Cindy (5 pull ups,10push ups, 15 squats for sets in 20 mins) was 12 reps...I was going all out. The next time it came up...14. It had only been 2 weeks between the two Cindys but I'd improved and I didn't really feel all that different.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:
It helps to hang out with young, athletic people. If you start hanging with people talking about retirement, there lambego acting up, and who died...it's over.... I have more fun hanging out with people 1/2 my age, talking about training, woman training, and of course beer (crossfit approved beer of course)...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #5
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Skip -

That's possibly the funniest (and most disturbing) avatar I've ever seen!:crazy::lol:
Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Jason,

That really is Skip...at 53!:proud:

In all seriousness though, I'm sure that if my grandpa had seen the bodybuilders of today, he'd feel sick. That said, and with the BB/roids trend still going strong, I really don't want to guess what these guys will look like when my grandchildren come of age. Perhaps that photo is more prophetic than we want to admit after all...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tony - I feel your pain. I turn 5 decades old on the 27th of this month and I love your " If what science says is true I can't even see the top of the hill behind me" line. Over the hill indeed. As far as I'm concerned that just means we got there first because we are faster than those who are chasing us. I have a T-shirt that says "I'm older and more devious than you. I train while you are sleeping." I'm older than the father of one of my SWAT Team mates.

Brilliant guidance from Skip about not believing science. I took a treadmill test a couple years ago and ran until the machine shut itself down. The doctor said he had never seen anyone go that long. The medical community thinks weakness is the norm, good health is unusual and fitness is Olympic capacity. The doctor actually thought only an Olympic athlete could do what I did. I wish. I'm not even at the level of a mediocre HS athlete. The world is dumbing down everything from SAT scores to physical fitness standards to the point that those of us that do what we do at the level of intensity that we do it are to be considered "fitness freaks" and our pursuits are labled compulsive in a pejorative sense with a derisive snort because their 3x weekly 20 minute visit to the gym to pedal a recumbant while flipping through Newsweek and watching Oprah is the doctor recommended exercise dosage. They think, or perhaps want to think, that anything more is excessive and bad for you.

Of course you have gotten better. You will continue to get better and prove that degeneration is not the norm, it is the exception. Good health and fitness are the norm in the sense of normal, what is best for the group. Degeneration, demise, degredation the rotting stigmata of ill health, obesity, metabolic derangement and the steep off ramp to early retirement, walkers and Medicare is the stuff of our current convention of drive-thru, microwave, gimme quick, X-Box thinking where pushing a button makes things happen. Fitness is hard, hard is work, work hurts, hurt is bad so fitness is bad. Friggen weaklings. Let them stew in their lard.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Eugene,
Could you please be more up front about how you feel? Remember some of us are older and when you beat around the bush its hard for us to figure out.
Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Thanks for that Eugene... you put it rather well.
My problem is not having a community of people around who are like minded. It is draining when everyone around you thinks that you are out of your mind for doing what you do. Need to find some people who think living healthily and not accepting the norm for exercise is a good thing...
Old 11-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jeff - as you might imagine the term "insensitive" has been used now and again as a description of something I have said or done and I have been asked to remember that people have feelings. If a recruit is too fat but has squeezed by the PT test somehow (somehow, I know how - it continues to be norm adjusted to allow those who could not otherwise do it squeak by) I am forbidden to so much as mention his weight problem. Why you ask? Because it is a...disability. Fat is a disability? Why yes it is. So is stupid, lazy, clumsy, non-English speaking in an English speaking country and incompetent. Those things are all disabilities to success. But this is a protected disability AND THAT MAKES ME FREAKING NUTS!!! "I can't" is permission to not try and failure is met with the nearly endless need to retrain, reevaluate and modify existing programs. Now in defense of my own agency we don't let things get too far out of hand and if you suck we fire you...in spite of the various alphabet agencies that seem to exist to promote the sub-standard norm that is winnowing the gene pool to the point that mediocrity is success and nearly adequate is the norm.

Pardon my obscure references and tangental approach problem identification. I will endeavor in future to be more direct.