CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
David Long

Profile:
Higher Rep Weighted Squats

In doing the WOD, I hit 1,3 & 5 rep squats work, or volume air squats. I have made steady gains in all, but I was working in the 10-12 rep range with a weight that should not have been heavy and was getting worked. should I add more in this area? also what are normal difrences between a 1 and 5 rep max? Thanks upfront.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Higher Rep Weighted Squats

I don't quite understand the first part.

As for difference between a one rep max and a five rep max - not much. Heavier, of course, but they are both in the strength end of the repetition scale. Five, of course, will allow better volume in your workouts.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

I wish Rip wouldn't have taken down his chart.

Nevermind. I found it in the web archive. Victory.

wfs:
http://web.archive.org/web/200611271.../sample200.pdf

Basically working strength is going to give you a greater capacity for endurance... although it won't directly give you endurance. "Endurance" is anything more than your programs max reps basically. Anything more than 5 reps you might have some trouble on because you're not used to having enough endurance for that type of lifting. If you want to get that back up then start doing some more endurance days.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Yay! Steven found it!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I was going to make a new thread for this, but this is probably a good place to put it. In an old T-Nation article Dan John says something along the lines of, I won't quote because I don't have the article in front of me, I use to waste my time squating lower reps, now I never squat for less than tens. With strength programs out there like 5x5, Starting Strength, and Olympic Lifters who squat in the 1-3 rep range, why would he advocate something so deffinatively with no regard to goals? If I wanted to improve my absolute strength would he still suggest that I do sets of ten? I know I should be asking him and I surely will, but I figured until then maybe someone on here might know. I'll try to find the article later to show you exactly what it said.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I was going to make a new thread for this, but this is probably a good place to put it. In an old T-Nation article Dan John says something along the lines of, I won't quote because I don't have the article in front of me, I use to waste my time squating lower reps, now I never squat for less than tens. With strength programs out there like 5x5, Starting Strength, and Olympic Lifters who squat in the 1-3 rep range, why would he advocate something so deffinatively with no regard to goals? If I wanted to improve my absolute strength would he still suggest that I do sets of ten? I know I should be asking him and I surely will, but I figured until then maybe someone on here might know. I'll try to find the article later to show you exactly what it said.
Squatting 10 and above will get you hypertrophy the quickest because it hypertrophies both type I and type II fibers. So you'll definitely have the quickest gains if you do it right.

However, since biasing towards 1 RM with oly lifters and weightlifters you need to have primarily fast twitch, he is basically just blunting his potential if he was going to compete in powerlifting or oly lifting. On the other hand, if say he also does a bunch of other stuff that requires more endurance related work, a combination would be good for someone like him and maybe some of the guys who compete in worlds strongest man. For example, they have to do multiple events in a day where you need more endurance than just straight up type II fibers for maximum strength.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I think there are good benefits of high rep, heavy squatting, at least for event specific sports or "mental toughness." From a strength endurance standpoint, it's good for any athlete that requires their body to perform at a high level for an extended period of time such as in 400m/800m runners, strongmen, speed skaters, and even some of the roughest cross country courses, as it helps build the endurance to handle the events and the training involved.

I personally know high rep squatting has helped in my ability to handle 400m repeats in practice; I can keep a very consistent pace and when i hit the wall it doesn't stagger me significantly. A goal of mine is to do 50 straight reps with 225lbs.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Is it dumb or counterproductive to be doing cleans or power cleans in the 1-3 rep range and then Squats in the 10+ rep range in the same workout? For some reason I have this fear that if I do both I won't progress in either. I know I might progress slower in one, but I can still progress right?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Is it dumb or counterproductive to be doing cleans or power cleans in the 1-3 rep range and then Squats in the 10+ rep range in the same workout? For some reason I have this fear that if I do both I won't progress in either. I know I might progress slower in one, but I can still progress right?
You'll progress with both but not as fast if you did one or the other. It's like endurance and strength training.. opposite ends of the spectrum you can get better at both but not optimally. This is how everything works physiologically pretty much. You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.. but not as fast as just losing fat or just gaining muscle at once.