CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
John Velandra

Profile:
I broke one of the bones in my hand the other day and am looking for some ideas for rehab once the cast is off. Also, any suggestions from Docs out there - on when I should look to start easing back into minor things while casted (yes, common sense will and does apply)....

I'm kind of excited as I look at the rehab as a new thing to learn, but I'm out of the loop for the next three weeks till they assess the healing that's been done - recast or small progression.

Any help or encouraging word from past experience would be appreciated...http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/39111.jpg

(Message edited by dif01 on March 31, 2007)
Old 03-31-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
No I'm not a doc but, you can do tons of stuff that will smoke you without involving your hand.

Sprinting, pistols, hollow rocks, box jumps, back and ab work, one armed lifts, on and on.

I see no reason why you need to take it the least bit easy, except on your hand.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
John Velandra

Profile:
See that's all the stuff I originally planned. Here's what I was tpld... yes, I can run or do whatever I feel capable of, but when I sweat, I get the cast wet and the more I get the cast wet, the weaker it becomes. What holds the fracture in place? A strong cast.... THAT got me thinking as it sounds true enough.....

Comment or thought? True or not?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
John,

Is that a waterproof cast? My daughter had one on last summer for a broken thumb and she did just about everything....continued to play soccer, diving, in fact we went in a shark cage in Hawaii and she had her camera attached to her cast and was taking pictures of the sharks. If it's waterproof, then I don't think you need to worry. If not, well, I don't know. David
Old 04-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
John Velandra

Profile:
Waterproof???? Never heard of such an animal.... I don't believe so - military casted it....
Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Mike Moore

Profile:
whoa dude! what or who did you punch? you got a 5th metacarpal fracture under that baby or what. seriously, your return depends on what your actual injury is and your doc should be able to give you some advice.

ps - too bad they ran out of the hot pink casting material. jk
Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
John Velandra

Profile:
YEP - fourth mc fracture! I was doing box jumps on the large metal frame boxes and allowed my hand to swing in too high an angle and smacked my hand under the framework - still made the jump though!:biggrinthumb:

Problem is doc says best to do nothing and let it heal. Granted that's true, but what can I do w/o slowing down the healing process? Or what will not effect the integrity of the cast?

They said I could be out of it in four weeks.... or...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Mike Moore

Profile:
John - Sorry for delay in getting back to you - problem is that it's hard to do exercises that involve grip with this type of fracture. 4th and 5th MC are heavily involved in "strength" grip as opposed to "precision"grip. Dan Riley has a"no hands" program he uses with pro football players as these guys are always injuring fingers/hands during season. Google his name and Texans football and I think you can find it. It likely involves a number of Nautilus machines - I'm usually not a big fan here, but your choices are limited and you will only be doing this until your fracture heals. Of course you can still do your other stuff that doesn't involve gripping things. Maybe it's a good month to give your upper body a little rest. Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Mike Moore

Profile:
PS - It looks like a fiberglass cast so as long as it was applied snugly and not with too much cast padding your ortho may not have an issue with you sweating. If it feels loose, let your doc know. Sometimes it can get loose as the initial swelling from the original injury goes down. It is not unheard of that a cast needs to be replaced for this reason. Also, depending on the location of the fracture, the body does have some leeway in terms of how accurately the fracture needs to be reduced.