CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Hey everyone,

While doing the 5K yesterday I was making a conscious effort to run POSE style the first 1.5 miles I had no problems I had good wind just chugging along my pace was probably 7-8 mile pace. I felt a tightness start to creep into my back after 1 mile but after another 1/2 mile the tightness turned painful so I slowed it down and walked while attempting to stretch my lower back. Started running again after about 2 minutes the same problem arises again, I made myself hump it out 2 more minutes before I walked again.

I can't recall this happening (to this degree) before and before these past few months I always ran heel to toe (I knew of no better ways). Since switching to POSE running I no longer get shin splints like I used to.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with lower back pain while running?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
I have some experience in screwing up my back while running with a heel strike. Trained for and did a half marathon in 02 and have suffered back spasms ever since. Before that I had run all my life with a forefoot strike and no problems
You might consider seeing a podiatrist and/or a Rolfer. Both have helped me immensely.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Rolfer?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Allen, 2 days before the run we did 55 deadlifts, 55 BP, and 55 cleans. Before that, we did 185# frontsquats for multiple reps. The three day block preceeding the 5K was brutal to the lower body and any small lapse of form could have effected the lower back. My lower back is still tight and I've been walking around like a granny since the weekend! My 5k time suffered...a lot. Stretch it out, you'll be fine next go around.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Larry,

I actually didn't do either of those 2 workouts since I was out at the range for drill (m16/m9 qual.). I did do ME DL day on thursday instead of the WOD.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Rolfing is a type of deep tissue massage pioneered by a woman named Ida Rolf. Painful, in a good way.

Allen, has your posterior knee pain gone away? Simultaneous leg and back pain is not a good thing...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Profile:
William,

No more recurrences of the weird leg pain so I'll just attribute it that to something I did wrong on the ME C&J day.

So rolfing is just a type of deep tissue massage? Cool, painful like a trigger point way? hahaha I had my wife try some of those trigger points on me (rather than using the tennis ball method) That was a mistake...haha
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 AM   #8
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Allen,

might it be that you leaned forward in trying to run faster, but forgot about staying erect with hips forward, leaning from the ankles?

Leaning forward from the hips (hunching over) means your back muscles have to contract harder - that might be what happened.

Try running near to some big shopping mall where you can look into the windows to see your mirror image when running - the poor man's video camera option. Try speeding up and slowing down, and notice how your posture changes. Then you will see what you are doing wrong.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Good idea Christian I never thought of that!