CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hey All,
I'll be competing in my first OL comp. this Saturday.

I have a few questions I'd appreciate your expertise and experience on:
1.) Injury avoidance: When competing at non-elite levels, do you set an upper limit on the amount you'll lift for the day? For example, if my max. practice C&J is 85 kg, should I call it quits if/when I reach 90, even if things feel 'OK'?
Out of curiosity, about what percentage higher were your competition PRs than your practice PRs?

2.) Apparel: I may need to purchase a comp. suit in case there aren't enough extras to go around. Is a typical wrestling singlet sufficient, or are there specific regulations against this?

Thanks in advance.
Yoon

FYI: If anyone's interested and in the area of Rego Park, Queens, the meet is the 2006 Metropolitan LWC at Lost Battalion Hall http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/. Admission I believe is free...but they really should be charging people top dollar for the chance to see me in spandex! :lol:
Old 10-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
In your first meet you should plan to make all 6 of your lifts. If you make a pr, it should be by only a little and that's it. Do not count on competition adrenaline to add one ounce on the bar. Count on rookie jitters and inexperience to throw you a bit.

MAKE YOUR OPENING LIFTS!!! Nothing is worse for a beginning lifter's psyche than to miss his openers in his first meet. If your best in practice is 85kg, I'd open with around 70kg. Save the heroics for the second meet. MAKE YOUR OPENERS!

A wrestling singlet is just fine.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Wow! That's great, Yoon. I wish you'd mentioned it on Sunday! Good luck!

Great advice, Lincoln.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
That's a wild bunch at LBH. Have fun! Oh, and listen to Lincoln. :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Lincoln: THANK YOU SO MUCH, yet again! I'm coming to realize I was really overestimating how much adrenaline would positively factor in. I was also getting way too wrapped up with scoring PR weights, as opposed to building a foundation for future comps.

Keith: I totally would have mentioned it on Sunday, but I didn't even realize there was a meet until this past Monday night! I didn't train at LBH for a couple weeks due to a hectic schedule, so I was completely out-of-the-loop. I'll give you all a recap at the park on Sunday.

Veronica: There is no shortage of characters there, LOL! For example, I finally met the guy who lifted in dress shoes...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/25/32022.jpg

Oh, and I scored a leftover singlet. It's bright pumpkin orange and in desperate need of a washing :-)
Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
White lights!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
Ignacio Rios

Profile:
You'll never forget your first competition!

Like others have said, MAKE your first lifts! I placed first on my first competition....but I was the only 85kg:biglaugh:.

The adrenaline WILL be there, try to calm yourself and concentrate on your technique.

Good Luck!

Oh as for the PR on meets. I would usually hit 5-10% every meet, I was young and just starting out so gains where coming quick for me. I remember they had overloaded the bar on my very first attempt(Sn) by 10Kg and I shot the bar up so high, I wasnt ready when it came crashing down, I caught it but it was so far behind it, my arms slowly went back and I lost it. Missed all of them, then my friend who was the side ref pointed out it was missed loaded. Came back and hit all 3.

(Message edited by ElSenor on October 26, 2006)
Old 10-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Yoon, I'm sure you'll have an abundance of adrenaline and nerves, but being a rookie on the platform, you may be able to direct that energy to successfully completing a lift you've never attempted before, so play it safe and do what you've already been able to do. Oh and with a bright orange singlet you'd better make your lifts! Have fun!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Ross: Man, I'm such an ignoramus I had no idea what you meant until I Googled "white lights & weightlifting":lol: Guess I should read up on those rules, huh?

Ignacio: Thank you very much for your perspective! Like you, it would be nice if no other 77kg lifters showed up..I mean, how many other 77kg class lifters could there possibly be out there???:wink:

Veronica: Thanks! I've got a much better idea of what I want to accomplish now, so I'm really eager to show up and have a blast.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Biggest thing I learned was how unprepared I was for warm ups. Totally wasn't prepared for the Snatch, sat around doing 8 or 10 sets of C&J with my opener. Have a plan. And then send me a copy!