CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Nate Napolitano

Profile:
Squat difficulties - advice appreciated

I'm currently on CFSB with a lot of gymnastics work thrown in. All my lifts are pretty sound except squats. I dont have a problem technique wise, or at least i dont think. I keep a narrow grip on the bar, legs shoulder width apart, feet about 30 or so degrees out, weight on heels, depth well below parallel, all per the SS description of proper squat form, however I just can't squat that much as compared to my other lifts.

My 1RM is 265 and its been awhile since I managed that. Lately, I've been stuck in the low 200's, and I just got 3x225 today which i came close to failure on the last rep. I get stuck in the bottom of my squat, I always squat down to risers to ensure full ROM and once I get down there, I just lock up and have a real problem exploding out of the bottom with my hips. Whenever I'm attacking other lifts I'm very upbeat and positive, really want to kill it, but squats are beginning to just demoralize me. Ultimately, my goal is a 300# squat and I'd like to get there by christmas (thats the timeline i set for myself) With the improvement I've been making on my deadlifts and press, it seems like I'll achieve those goals well before the timeline I initially set out, but when it comes to my squat, I'm starting to wonder why I'm not seeing a whole lot of improvement.

So I guess does anyone have any tips or advice they can give me? I lift in chucks so its not like I have a cushiony shoe thats inhibiting me, should i nix the risers and just learn to feel it? Should I just squat more often? I'm squatting once a week right now. And then a heavy metcon after involving some type of squat. I'll be happy to post a video to the digital coaching section or this thread if it helps anyone out.

Thanks.
18/5'8/160#BS: 300 DL: 425 PC: 215 FS: 240 Fran: 4:14
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Squat difficulties - advice appreciated

Post a video.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

consider your total volume/intensity of training. You may just be doing to much of everything else, not recovering enough and probably not squatting moderate/heavy often enough.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Post up your squat routine. Plus, a number is a number. Don't let your ego physically hurt you by you trying too big of a weight. Building squat strength takes time and lots of good calories. Plus, some people are born (so to speak) to squat, while others are born to, say, bench or deadlift. I was fortunate to be born a squatter. By my fourth month of powerlifting, I could squat 315, but could barely put up 205 on the bench.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Nate Napolitano

Profile:

1: ME BS/Metcon/Gymnastics
2: ME DL/Metcon/Gymnastics
3: Rest
4: Metcon
5: ME FS/ HR BS/Metcon
6: ME Press/Metcon/Gymnastics
7: Rest

I'm 155, 5'7-5'8. The most I put on the bar today was 225 which was a struggle by the 3rd rep. Not trying to let my ego interfere, but every time I shoulder press or deadlift it seems like i'm getting a 10-15lb PR and I'm struggling 40lbs down from my 1RM BS.
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Try gaining some good weight. If you want to put up the weight, you got to put on the pounds. Im talking muscle and a small amount of fat. Before I messed my knee up (overtraining), I started at 165 and barely able to do 250 squat. I moved up to 180 over the course of 4ish months and the last time I one rep maxed I did 315 (knees got messed up soon after).

Im a 5' 6" troll on a good day.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Nate Napolitano

Profile:

How would I go about gaining weight eating paleo-ish? I tend to break out when I consume most dairy products- milk, yogurt, etc. ice cream is the exception. Eating a ton of bad carbs also no longer agrees with my body and I get awful stomach aches when I eat grains and bread and things of that nature. Starches aren't horribly tough to deal with though. I don't know too much about nutrition besides reading a few CFJ articles and leafing through a bit of Robb Wolf's stuff and articles over at Mark's Daily Apple.
My Log Level 1 Certified
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I would drop the metcons to maybe 3x/wk and if HR BS=high rep back squats, I'd drop those, too.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Napolitano View Post
How would I go about gaining weight eating paleo-ish? I tend to break out when I consume most dairy products- milk, yogurt, etc. ice cream is the exception. Eating a ton of bad carbs also no longer agrees with my body and I get awful stomach aches when I eat grains and bread and things of that nature. Starches aren't horribly tough to deal with though. I don't know too much about nutrition besides reading a few CFJ articles and leafing through a bit of Robb Wolf's stuff and articles over at Mark's Daily Apple.
Lots of meat, eggs, and good fats like nuts, nut butters, olive oil, and coconut milk/oil. Get some dense carbs like yams in right after a workout. Whey protein isn't Paleo but may be a good option if you can't get enough solid calories in to gain weight. But mainly, just eat til it hurts. Repeat 4-5 times a day. Continue til you get to a good weight.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Doing all your lifts for Max Effort all the time will not make them go up.
Do back off weeks with sets of 5 or 3 or whatever myriad number of different programming that is available all over the web.
( I too have fallen into that silly trap, It doesn't work like in the "Rocky" movie montages...)