CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Does Crossfit Really Exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Honestly though, I'm sure HQ has this covered. Probably.
I'm not sure what Rick has in mind (none of my business really), but honestly I doubt that dealing with its affiliates' telecom concerns (whatever they may be) is very high on HQ's list of priorities.

- Mark

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Does CrossFit Really Exist?

No it doesn't really exist. It is a mass delusion.

Seriously maybe they just don't want to talk to all the sales people that hound them. I know I feel that way at my gym.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Rick Sigel

Profile:

Thanks for the input. OK - so as not to be vague or "sales-y" here's what I'm talking about. We have a separate venture SLT2 (www.slt2.net) that is a consortium/buying group for wireless/cellphone services. We enable organizations and their members to get discounts and rates that are usually only available to the large corporate customers. The idea is that individual CF affilliates and their families/members could get better deals on their cellphone service. No added commitment, no rate plan changes, no new contracts to sign - stay with the current carrier or switch ( if your current contract term commitment has been met) and get better rates/discounts because we are able to leverage the volume. Typically, the discount on monthly service is in the 15%-20% range depending on the carrier.
So, what we want to talk about with CF HQ about is offering this to their affiliates/members. The concept is the same as getting member benefits by virtue of being a AAA AutoClub member.
It costs CF nothing to offer this cost saving benefit to their affiliates/members - what's the downside?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Rick Sigel

Profile:
Question Re: Does CrossFit Really Exist?

Thanks for the input. OK - so as not to be vague or "sales-y" here's what I'm talking about. We have a separate venture SPAM (SPAM) that is a consortium/buying group for wireless/cellphone services. We enable organizations and their members to get discounts and rates that are usually only available to the large corporate customers. The idea is that individual CF affilliates and their families/members could get better deals on their cellphone service. No added commitment, no rate plan changes, no new contracts to sign - stay with the current carrier or switch ( if your current contract term commitment has been met) and get better rates/discounts because we are able to leverage the volume. Typically, the discount on monthly service is in the 15%-20% range depending on the carrier.
So, what we want to talk about with CF HQ about is offering this to their affiliates/members. The concept is the same as getting member benefits by virtue of being a AAA AutoClub member.
It costs CF nothing to offer this cost saving benefit to their affiliates/members - what's the downside?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Your tangent product is probably the reason you're not getting any love from HQ. They aren't interested in endorsing or pushing products unrelated to the core service of athletic training.

http://therxreview.com/greg-glassman...-anthos-model/ (not wfs - language)

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Rick Sigel

Profile:
Question Re: Does Crossfit Really Exist?

Chris - I appreciate your response but we would not be asking CF to sell anything - simply to allow affiliates and members to be aware of this potential benefit for which they could be eligible. Also, not asking them to endorse one carrier (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc.) over another as we are agnostic and leave that choice up to the end user. If CF doesn't get involved in endorsing or making any money from anything like this then how do you explain the Reebok relationship? Again, we're not asking CF to "sell" or market anything at all simply to let us let it be known that they (and their affiliates) are participating in and taking advantage of this program.
If you were ordering equipment from Rogue or Muscle Driver and they offered better pricing for CF affiliates - wouldn't you want to know and take advantage of that? How is this any different?

Rick

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

As a CF box member, I would thus be considered target market.

So I'll say this...if my box owners started in any way to talk to me about any business other than my fitness, I would turn the other way immediately.

And I would be really concerned that they are focusing their professional efforts on something unrelated to helping their members become more fit.

- Mark

Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sigel View Post
If you were ordering equipment from Rogue or Muscle Driver and they offered better pricing for CF affiliates - wouldn't you want to know and take advantage of that? How is this any different?

Rick
It's different in that equipment relates in some way to my fitness, which is my sole reason for my gym membership.

How much I pay for my cell service has nothing to do with that at all. It makes no more sense to me than my box owner approaching me with how to get a better deal on my home insurance or sewing needles. If they did that, I would probably just outright quit the box.

- Mark

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Rick Sigel

Profile:

Mark - I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. Perhaps I wasn't clear - Our intended market is the affiliate owners and their employees - NOT individual gym members such as yourself. Admittedly, I'm biased, but if the owner of your gym can save money on his cellphone service it only makes him (or her) more profitable - and while their primary focus is fitness, it is after all still a business that needs to make money to stay open. Also, if they have more money to spend maybe they'll invest it in more equipment for you to use

Thanks,

Rick

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Does CrossFit Really Exist?

Crossfit is a fitness thing. Call it a movement if you want. A culture certainly. The way I see it, if you have nothing to contribute in the advancement of fitness then I (not as though I speak for all of Crossfit) am not interested.

Reebok got involved as they are a sport related company. You see Crossfit linking up with the likes of Rogue as they are a fitness industry related supplier. I don't see how cell phone plans have anything to do with making a massive fitness movement/company any better/bigger/prosperous/accessible as it relates to fitness...

Hell I am ****ed when cell phones are in any gym. Don't text until the WoD is done. They are completely unrelated in my eyes. Cell phones, smart phones, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc. are part of daily lives, I get it. However, they don't need to be in every aspect of it. Fitness is one place. When you go for a run or hike is another place. In the car...don't get me started.