CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Spencer James

Profile:
Gym Jones article in NY Times

Not sure if this belongs in the Fitness forum, but New York Times has a cool read on Gym Jones and its history (WFS):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/fa...ysicality.html

Definitely worth reading.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
David Cahn

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Clearly Gym Jones is crossfit inspired but nowhere in the article is crossfit mentioned. Instead they suggest you need to seek out these boutique gyms inspired by Gym Jones when really if people want a "300" style workout they need to find an affiliate box.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:

Near the bottom:
"GYM JONES, of course, is not the only fitness business thriving on tough love. From the boot camp programs that have become trendy in big cities to the screeching trainers on “The Biggest Loser” to CrossFit, a chain that has gained attention for promoting risky exercise, Americans seem to want their workouts served with hiss and spit."

But, I think you're right... it was CrossFit inspired but then Gym Jones drew away from HQ I think part because GJ is much more inclined to prescribe longer aerobic components of training. Mark Twight wrote one article on the GJ website that discussed doing a ski mountaineering race or something after doing nothing but short anaerobic metcons for 6 months, or something to this extent. If memory serves, the gist of the article was that he felt short metcons did offer some benefits and he performed better than he expected for the relatively low training volume, but if he wanted to put up a top notch performance than this was not sufficient, which is probably no surprise to anyone even in the CrossFit community because CF's specialty is not specializing, as they say. GJ definitely incorporates a lot of CrossFit-esque metcons like the Jones Crawl and the "FYF", but there's also more emphasis on endurance-specific training than mainsite CrossFit puts up.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Travis Rask

Profile:

If you want to try a Gym Jones doozy...buy yourself an airdyne off Craigslist and google "300 FY".

Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Twight and Glassman had a spat, and Twight started Gym Jones. I think you'll find that Twight was quite involved with Crossfit in the beginning, but came to realize that the "one-size-fits-all" approach to fitness was not what he was after.

Gym Jones tailors programmes to suit clients' needs. Many Crossfit boxes do not offer anything outside of the scheduled classes where you have everyone following the same programme.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Josh W Smith

Profile:

I did not know much about Gym Jones before I read this. I checked out their website and they have an online membership for $50 per month. Is this a joke or what?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Plenty of gyms and coaches offer "virtual memberships" where they write out individualized programs or offer video coaching...OPT and Catalyst Athletics do, off the top of my head.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

uh oh. someone said gym jones/twight. off to the bucket

Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh W Smith View Post
I did not know much about Gym Jones before I read this. I checked out their website and they have an online membership for $50 per month. Is this a joke or what?
What is a joke about it? Like Eric said there are numerous online sites that charge a monthly fee.

CrossFit could easily charge the same price if not more per month and plenty of people would pay for it.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
What is a joke about it? Like Eric said there are numerous online sites that charge a monthly fee.

CrossFit could easily charge the same price if not more per month and plenty of people would pay for it.
Crossfit boxes cost ridiculous amounts per month... But for many people it is worth it, because you do get coached.