CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-09-2007, 03:31 AM   #1
Kieran Teeling

Profile:
Right - I'll admit that I aien't in the best of shapes, far from it...

I'm 5'10" and weigh just over 92.5kg [male of course] and 23 years old.

I've piled on the weight over the past 4 years, to which previously I weighed at around 78kg. Reasons being that I've been a digging down a tad bit too much into me foods with a lack of excercise since my accident. :rolleyes:

I'm totally clueless when it comes to working out and proper diets, to which I'm currently eatting smaller portions with lots of greens. I plan on visitting the Gym next week and have a chat with a physician and nutritionist.

What sort of suggestions would you give to ease my way into excercises and such? Currently I'm walking round the block, with minute jog bursts every so often [3km - It's a countryside, not a city block! :p ] 3 times a day - in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Though I doubt this would really do much. :g:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :-)
Old 06-09-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Stuart Smith

Profile:
The "Start here" page... and search for scaling workouts on the FAQ and the forum. Pretty much all there waiting to be found already - you might even find someone with similar experiences in the injuries/medical section regarding your accident if you search or post?

Other than that, make a thoughtful and deliberate commitment and watch as nature takes its course. All the best.

Oh yeah, and have fun:biggrinthumb:

(Message edited by Thanatos on June 09, 2007)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Wade Miller

Profile:
Kieran,

Start slow, eat the elephant one bite at a time. It often takes people several years to get totally out of shape. So understandably it will take some time to accomplish your goals. Speaking of goals, put some down on paper - create a road map.

Hint focus on Body Fat %, not necessarily weight, when you start to weight train with actual weights or with body weight exercises (walking, push ups, sit ups, squats, pull ups, ect. are included). Your weight could go down, up, stay the same. So, when you start out pay attention to your clothes and the mirror at first.

There is a ton of information here, along with great people to help you reach your goals.
Use this site and the people as a resource. Ask questions, read (subscribe to the journal), and read some more.

Kieran, stay consistent, you can do it, just make a committment (always easier said than done, find someone to take this journey with you).

Make It A Great One,

Wade
Old 06-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
John McBrien

Profile:
Kieran,

First off, welcome. It's always a rewarding feeling to know you're making a conscious effort to improve your health.

In addition to Stuart's comment I would also suggest visiting the following two websites. Simplefit provides very simple workouts for beginners. BrandX Martial Arts provides pre-scaling of the Workout of the Day (WOD) for several fitness levels.

Finally, use this message board. Go through archived threads. Research, study, and read everything you can. There are a lot of people here who are very friendly and can provide you wonderfully valuable advice.

Both sites are work/family safe.

www.brandxmartialarts.com
www.simplefit.org
Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Kieran,
In addition, if you could find an affiliate for some personal training....or you could post in "community" looking for others in Ireland so you have a workout partner.
The workouts at simplefit & the scaled WOD at BrandX are VERY effective: trust me.
:080402gudl_prv:
Old 06-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Kieran Teeling

Profile:
Hey - thanks for the replies.

So I'll start off with being a 'buttercup' [Bottom of the scale for WoDs XD ]

Curious - I take it these WoDs are designed to go alongside people who are working, so what advise would you give for someone pretty much free for the Summer. Safe to assume I could do these in the early mornings, again in the afternoons as well as evenings?

My top piority is to lose me weight first - the gut and the 'male bosom' (Not much of it, but still), improving myself by end of the year.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
John McBrien

Profile:
The WODs are designed to be implemented and scaled based on the individual. You shouldn't be performing more than one WOD per day in my opinion. These workouts can really hurt you - look up "CrossFit-induced Rhabdo." Especially as a beginner take your time learning proper form and slowly build up your intensity.

A slower progression will allow you to prepare yourself to handle the WODs at peak intensity. It will also keep you from burning out. It's very easy to fall victim to "too much, too soon."
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Kieran,

Welcome to the party! :-)

It helps me to think about a specific goal or task to train for and align my goals with that. Sports are a good starting point...me, I like to climb, run and beat on people, so I'm tossing around ideas between a climbing trip, an Ultra and MMA.

Besides that, sports give you an outlet for energy and a way to burn calories without going full-bore in a WOD. Just be careful though, Rhabdo is a terrible, terrible thing....