CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Mike Hennon

Profile:
Hello,

I've been reading the Crossfit material available on the website and other Crossfit affiliated sites for a while now. A week or so ago I finally hung a pull-up bar in the basement and am looking to sell off some equipment I have and purchase an Olympic weight set and find a used Concept II rower.

I'm 34 years old and compete in a number of adventure races each year, an occasional 24 hr mt bike race, and maybe a 5k run or so. I enjoy the idea of mixing things up and like to cycle, run, kayak, lift weights and occasionally swim. One of the things I like about what I've read so far is the variety of the workouts. Also, looks like a great community of other CF'ers who provide a lot of good info.

One of my main concerns is how following CF will affect my endurance and adventure racing.

One of my goals has been to increase my upper body and core strength to help me become a stronger paddler and better bike handler. I also have a bit of fat I could stand to drop off my upper body. I figure if I could drop even 10 pounds it would make a nice difference in my run times, etc... I'll admit my diet has not been the best as I have a real struggle not eating in the evenings. I've been somewhat better the past few days as I'm phasing out the sugar/junk food and slowly getting the diet back under control.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that CF is a good program to follow for the sports I participate in. My home gym right now consists of a trainer for my road bike, treadmill, sets of 15 & 25lb DBs, a pull-up bar, jump rope, 12lb med ball, swiss ball, and one of those bosu things. I also have a Bowflex and a Weider home gym that I'm thinking of unloading to get some money for the free weights and rower. You'd think with all this stuff I'd be in prime shape but my biggest issue is not having structure in my workouts or someone to really refer to when I have questions.

Sorry to make this post so long. Just looking to be certain this will be a good program for AR and mt biking. I don't want to jump into something and then find I wasted my time because it was the wrong program. Plus, I'm almost convinced to buy that weight set and sell off the home gyms but need just that small bit of reassurance its the thing to do.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Diet is key and your honest about it being a weak point, good on you! The zone diet really helps narrow your focus of what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it.

Crossfit will help you become a better overall athlete and will help you create more power. You are making good choices and ditching the Bowflex/weider gym would be another great move. Replace it with an olympic weight set and squat rack.

Welcome! :080402gudl_prv:
Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Maintaining a healthy diet is one of the hardest parts. Keep at it.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Mike, welcome to CrossFit!
CrossFit is great a wide range of athletic events.
Check out Jesse Woody's stuff. His agility and endurance are very impressive.
Very well-rounded athlete.
You are in the right place, go for it!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Mike Hennon

Profile:
Thanks for the responses.

As far as the suggestion to get a squat rack. Are there any multipurpose racks that are reasonably priced that allow for multiple uses besides squatting such as benching, etc?

Sears just had a sale on their rubber coated Weider 300lb Olympic weight sets. The price was around $200 which fits the budget pretty good. I'm assuming these will work for the routines.

I will have to read up on the Zone diet information. I have noticed a slight drop in weight since I've stopped the late night eating and the sweets. Those late nighters are a killer. To be honest though, it's been tough fighting off not eating in the evening. I figure if I can get through a few more days I'll be on track.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Mike,

Congrats on finding CrossFit. Don't wait any longer; get started. As for your concerns, let them go. CrossFit will make you a better athlete. If you find your extended endurance is suffering, you can always modify your training to shore that up. Example: CF is a 3 on/1 off program. Replace one of the three workout days with biking, running, kayaking, etc. However, I would suggest giving the program 60 days as RX'd to see where that puts you.

The Sears weight set is definitely not suitable for dropping the bar on Olympic lifts. For that, you are best served with rubber bumper plates. For an amazing overview of good CrossFitting equipment choices, go to:
http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm

This link is work/family safe.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Mike,

Stick with the diet you'll be rewarded, trust us. Mastering The Zone is a great book that lays out all the details. I got mine from Amazon.com for under $5.00 delivered.

Those late night struggles are normal, I feel your pain. I wander around the kitchen and peer into the fridge, looking at all the food I could eat. Than I'm reminded why I shouldn't eat and I close the fridge without tempting myself further.

Craigslist is a great place to watch for used weights and rowers. I've filled my garage with stuff off craigslist.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Mike Hennon

Profile:
Are Weider and low price Cap Olympic weight sets that bad? It's looking like those rubber bumper plates are pretty costly. I do have those .5" or .75" (can't remember for sure) 2x2 two interlocking floor mats in my workout area. Would they be enough to help? I just saw that Dunham has a 300lb Olympic Cap barbell set for $99.

I was hoping to be able to unload the Bowlfex and Weider home gym and put that money towards a used rower.

I did build myself a set of parallets this evening using pvc pipe following the plans I found linked from this site. Next I'm going to get some plywood and make a plyo box. These are fun, quick projects that are perfect for this time of year.