CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
David Chow

Profile:
I was hoping to get some insight from some of the newer and established affiliates in how you came to be. I was introduced to CrossFit back in December 2006 and have been loyal ever since. I have since introduced it to others in my community and finding that my garage is becoming crowded at times.

My goal is to become an affiliate and to have my own space. The only problem I face is a severe lack of funds to purchase much needed equipment (rowers, weights, KBs, etc.) and for now rely on the equipment that I can either make or scavenge.

My question is when did some of you start charging people to use your initial space? I'm also limited by my current work schedule as I work shift work and at present not able to offer consistent training times. Any insight welcome as I do intend on achieving my goal of bringing CrossFit to Medicine Hat.}
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Heck, if the neighborhood is using your space, and you're good with people (aka they like you), then work it out where everyone pitches in (voluntarily) to buy a certain piece of equipment (or one big fundraiser to buy a couple things), with maybe a little recognition to the person who raised/gave the most (like their name filling a big chunk of a big whiteboard in your garage, so everyone knows who's the man when it comes to helping out their CF gym). Remember: "Recognition, babies cry for it, and grown men die for it."

And take some workouts to the local park, you get some decent CF'ers popping off ridiculously tough workouts, and people are gonna watch and ask you "so... what are you doing?"
Old 08-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
David;
Attend a Cert, network with everyone, collect names, emails, phone numbers.

Return home and contact as many of the affiliates as you can, 1 on 1 and ask them for the success/failure stories and any advice that they might have.

Go visit affiliates to see their business models. Each will be different, but after visiting 5-10, you should have a pretty good idea on how to proceed.

Find money. Look for investors, friends, second job, what ever, but you'll need money to make money. While everyone raves about starting CF in garage with a few friends, for you to grow in a reasonable time frame, you need CASH or stay small, have a few friends over and enjoy the journey.

My not so humble two cents.