CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Mike Woodruff

Profile:
Performance Menu Mass Gain Program

I'm starting the Performance Menu Mass Gain Program and will keep track of my progress here. I tested my Hypertrophy Cycle lifts yesterday and weighed myself. I'm 6'6" and 26 years old. All workouts are performed at CrossFit Rockwall unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, August 25
W = 202.8 lb

Clean - 87 kg (PR - previous best was a Power clean of 79 kg; clean of about 70 kg, but it was way back in January)

Shoulder Press - 70 kg (PR - previous best was 68 kg)

Weighted Pull-up - 35 kg (PR - previous best was 28 kg)

I'm eating 25 blocks at 5X fat Monday - Saturday and 25 blocks at 1X fat on Sunday. Took some pictures during the lifts and it looks like my clean form needs some work. I ran out of weights on the clean, but I think I was at my max. I will need to either go to the box gym I'm a member of for future testing days or get some more bumper plates. CrossFit Rockwall has a really nice Pendlay Oly bar, and the box gym has really crappy barbells, so that might factor into the results.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Performance Menu Mass Gain Program

Jeez Mike, what bodyweight are you shooting for?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

Yeah Mike! Let me know if you have any questions - or if you want to post video of your lifts, I'm happy to give you some coaching.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Mike Woodruff

Profile:

I'm shooting for 215. Hopefully you guys noticed that is stretched out over a 6'6" frame. So, I'm currently at about 12% body fat according to the Dr. Sears tape measure method. You might consider this too high to be doing the mass gain program, but I gained 20-25 pounds from February to May by doing the massive Zone diet and CrossFitting and my body fat decreased from 14 or 15 to 12. I've plateaued for a few months now. The massive Zone diet consisted of increasing my Zone blocks each week by 2.5 until I topped off at 45. That was a tough amount of food to eat!

Basketball is my primary sport, besides CrossFit, and all through high school I was always a perimeter player, then I grew 3 inches and was always the tallest guy on my team, meaning I needed to do a lot more banging down low. So, the extra weight has really helped with that, and I haven't really noticed any loss in quickness. I figure I can see how I like 10-15 more pounds and if I don't like it, I won't have any problem getting rid of it.

So, onto the cleans. I don't have video yet, but here's a photo from my 2nd to last clean yesterday. It looks to me like my arms are bending too early and I'm not getting full extension through my legs, but I guess it's tough to tell in a picture.
http://crossfitrockwall.typepad.com/Clean_84kg.jpg (work/family safe)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Mike Woodruff

Profile:

Monday, August 27

Warm Up:
Joint mobility
15 PVC Overhead Squats
15 PVC Good Mornings
15 Abmat sit-ups
15 Pull-ups
10 Ring dips
x2

Work Out
Front Squat: 52 kg x 6 x 6
Shoulder Press: 42 kg x 6 x 6
Weighted Pull-ups: 21 kg x 3, 15 kg x 4 x 2, 10 kg x 3 x 3

9 rounds in 10 minutes of
10 - Abmat sit-ups
10 - 15 kg Good Mornings
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
Mike Woodruff

Profile:

Monday night - softball game

Tuesday, August 28
Rest Day
Tuesday night - basketball game

Wednesday, August 29

Warm Up
Joint mobility
CFWUx2

Workout
Push Press: 52 kg x 6 x 6
L-Pull-up: 6 x 6 (last 4 were 4, 2)
Complete as many rounds....of 10 Knees to Elbows, 10 Romanian Deadlifts (15kg)
5 rounds + 8 KTE
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Mike Woodruff

Profile:

Thursday, August 30
Rest Day

Ran 5k
24:19 (new course record!)

Greg, thanks for the help offer. I'm going to try to post a video of a clean this weekend. My plan is to run a 5k each week on a rest day and do the CrossFit Rockwall group workout on Saturdays in addition to the Mass Gain Program. The Saturday workouts take place in a park and are typically 10-15 minutes long and involve bodyweight exercises. Do you think these activities are detrimental to the Mass Gain Program?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Guest2

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woodruff View Post
My plan is to run a 5k each week on a rest day and do the CrossFit Rockwall group workout on Saturdays in addition to the Mass Gain Program. The Saturday workouts take place in a park and are typically 10-15 minutes long and involve bodyweight exercises. Do you think these activities are detrimental to the Mass Gain Program?
Well... Yes. This is the single biggest reason people fail when trying to gain weight - they won't stop all the activity that prevents them from gaining weight.

The deal is this - your body can only respond to so many stimuli at one time. The more stimuli - and the more disparate - the more attenuated the response to each will be. Running a 5K is telling your body that it needs to be able to run a 5K - the less mass it has to carry (particularly non-functional type II muscle mass) and feed metabolically, the better - so it's discouragement to keep/put weight on (how many big runners have you met? There are a few, but they're the type of people who are anabolic in nearly any circumstances).

6'6" and 215 is really not even that big (I'm 5'11" and 212 as I type this). So if you're still trying to get even to 215, I'd say you're prone to being on the light side, which is going to mean you'll need to work even harder to gain. That being the case, I'd strongly discourage straying from the program.

We've had a lot of people give the program a run, and invariably the most successful were those who followed it as closely as possible. Some still had some success even trying what you're trying, but not nearly what they could have.

If your goal is to gain size, spend some time gaining size. You won't die if you can't run a 5k easily for a couple or even several months. Once you're up to your goal weight, start reintegrating the fitness elements again. You'll be surprised at how you can handle CF workouts with the greater strength and mass and will come back quickly and surpass your previous abilities with little exception.

If you must do all the extra activity, you're going to have to eat more than you imagined possible. Coconut milk, olive oil and nut butters in obscene quantities will become your best friends.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Mike Woodruff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
6'6" and 215 is really not even that big (I'm 5'11" and 212 as I type this). So if you're still trying to get even to 215, I'd say you're prone to being on the light side, which is going to mean you'll need to work even harder to gain. That being the case, I'd strongly discourage straying from the program.
6'6", 215 may not seem that big, but after 8 years at 6'6", 180, it will seem huge to me. I'll cut out the 5k's, that's no problem. I mean who really wants to run anyway? I don't know if I can get out of the CrossFit Rockwall group workouts on Saturdays, though...the CrossFit trainer there is pretty demanding.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

Yeah...no way are you getting out of those. You can scale back the reps and do it with a 131 pound weight vest if you want. Or, I guess we could use a cheerleader if you can find a megaphone.