CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Evan Fitts

Profile:
Hello,

I have been following crossfit for a few months and absolutely love doing the WODs. Until recently, I typically did them in the afternoon or evening after I had already eaten several meals. Recently I started doing mixed martial arts in the evening and I now have to do WODs first thing in the morning or not at all.

I have long been under the impression that good workouts require fuel in the form of food. However, there is no way that I could get up early enough to eat and digest a full meal before doing a WOD in the morning.

Does anyone have any input on this? One of my friends is an avid crossfitter who typically does WODs first thing in the morning. He just eats a piece of fruit on the way to the gym. Is this sufficient? Will I be doing harm to my body by not eating before doing the WOD? Do I need to eat anything (i.e. fruit or something else)? I still plan to eat immediately following my time in the gym.

Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I was hesitant to do workouts in the morning without eating too. I have been eating my last meal around 9pm, working out at 9am the following morning and eating around an hour later with NO problems. Food is not required to be eaten the same morning and your body is able to do it's own natural metabolizing if you dont.

Give it a try! I only have a cup of coffee in the moring and than I go at it. Works for me and may others.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Travis Loest

Profile:
I've been doing the WOD at around 7-7:30 every morning, if it's going to be a long workout(over 30 min) I will eat something small like a piece of fruit or some nuts or granola, otherwise I just eat when I'm done with my workout.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I've been experimenting alot on the issue myself. I found that my best performances – even in very harsh workouts like Linda – where done on empty stomach (espresso in it though). This summer for instance I worked hard chopping down trees by hand, cutting them up and dragging them away. Because of the heat I really didn't have any appetite and first started eating in the eveningtime after 5-8 hours of hard manual labor. Only intake was water, a handful of nuts and an occasional beer.

So, if you ask me, I think all this pre-workout nutrition is pure . But by all means: experiment. Make a log of your workouts, your food intake prior (or non-intake) and your performances and then decide on that basis. You cannot perform well on opinions, but only on knowledge.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:
"So, if you ask me, I think all this pre-workout nutrition is pure .

Nice comment, very user friendly. I’m sure it’s the definitive last word on pre workout nutrition.

Jay
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you can't do it on an empty stomach then you will need something easy to digest (fruit, few nuts...otherwise you will end up compromising digestion and that only leads to one thing...Pukie). If you feel "bonking" then you may need some energy as first thing in the morning your blood sugar is low from the overnight fast...aka sleep.

It's an energy thing...so if you need it, by all means have some otherwise your performance will suffer.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Evan Fitts

Profile:
Thanks for the suggestions. I realize that trial and error will give me the answer that works best for me. I just wanted to get some other people's input.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i heard somewhere that regularly working out in the morning on an empty stomach "teaches" your body to burn fat because it's forced to use it as fuel during the workout with no carbs present. any of you more learned guys have an opinion on this?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
I too have been working out early in the morning before a meal. I make sure that I drink some water first thing. That seems to help.