CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #31
Tony Yung
Member Tony Yung is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zeeland  MI
Posts: 7
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
This is a ridiculous post. What are you basing the term "real food" on? If ts only food if you can eat it in its natural raw state then apply that to some raw meat, potatoes or greens that need to be boiled to be edible. If its not food because its been altered then you can scratch off any fruit, nut or vegetable that has been genetically altered to take out toxins or make it more edible.

Wheat and rice are most certainly food, they sustain billions of lives every day and have been eaten for some say up to 100,000 years. As for paleos take on dairy, well **** paleo. Im not going to live in fear of awesome healthy foods that have been staples for centuries because of guys like Cordain or Toubes think grains or dairy or all carbs in general are somehow magically bad for you even though most of the obesity and health problems have only come in the last half a century.
This. And I'm hoping all the Paleo followers don't cook their meat, and also make sure you don't eat any meat or veges that have been processed at all.....butcher the thing yourselves and harvest yourself too.....can't say that cavemen had butchers back in the day. Follow Paleo to the T and not just when it's convenient.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
Zach S
Time-Out Zach S is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duluth  MN
Posts: 492
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
You should actually read "Toubes" sometime. You clearly haven't.
There is no need, others have already ripped him apart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #33
Todd R Bailey
Member Todd R Bailey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 128
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
This is a ridiculous post. What are you basing the term "real food" on? If ts only food if you can eat it in its natural raw state then apply that to some raw meat, potatoes or greens that need to be boiled to be edible.
Actually it's not ridiculous. Many people define "real food" as food that can be eaten in its natural state, without processing. You can eat raw meat, greens, tubers and other vegetables. As well as raw fruit and nuts. Just because people cook those food to make it more palatable (or to improve sanitation) doesn't change the fact that in their natural form as provided by nature, they are suitable for human consumption. If you have a different definition of "real food" that's fine, but this sounds like a perfectly reasonable definition of "real food" to me.

I think your point could be better stated as, "Avoid highly processed industrial foods and eat foods your great-grandparents would recognize." That is something a lot of people agree with and if followed by the rest of the country would improve general health tremendously.

I prefer to take it a step further and have also removed grains and legumes and most dairy from my diet with good results. So telling everyone to f*#k Paleo, just seems unnecessary and unhelpful.

I find it funny that for as much as people complain that Paleo followers are too dogmatic, there are just as many people that will jump all over someone asking a Paleo question and tell them their choice is wrong. If you don't want to eat Paleo, that's fine. I'm not telling you what you need to do. Eat whatever you want. But if someone wants to follow Paleo and has a question about it, why not just ignore the question and move on to the next post?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #34
Zach S
Time-Out Zach S is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duluth  MN
Posts: 492
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
Actually it's not ridiculous. Many people define "real food" as food that can be eaten in its natural state, without processing. You can eat raw meat, greens, tubers and other vegetables. As well as raw fruit and nuts. Just because people cook those food to make it more palatable (or to improve sanitation) doesn't change the fact that in their natural form as provided by nature, they are suitable for human consumption. If you have a different definition of "real food" that's fine, but this sounds like a perfectly reasonable definition of "real food" to me.

I think your point could be better stated as, "Avoid highly processed industrial foods and eat foods your great-grandparents would recognize." That is something a lot of people agree with and if followed by the rest of the country would improve general health tremendously.

I prefer to take it a step further and have also removed grains and legumes and most dairy from my diet with good results. So telling everyone to f*#k Paleo, just seems unnecessary and unhelpful.

I find it funny that for as much as people complain that Paleo followers are too dogmatic, there are just as many people that will jump all over someone asking a Paleo question and tell them their choice is wrong. If you don't want to eat Paleo, that's fine. I'm not telling you what you need to do. Eat whatever you want. But if someone wants to follow Paleo and has a question about it, why not just ignore the question and move on to the next post?
How long have you eaten this way?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #35
Rob Samuels
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Plantains are PALEO!!! any food that starts with P as in Plantain is also PALEO!!!

Come on everyone knows this Didnt you read The Plantain Solution?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #36
Todd R Bailey
Member Todd R Bailey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Natick  MA
Posts: 128
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
How long have you eaten this way?
A little bit more than a year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #37
Zach S
Time-Out Zach S is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duluth  MN
Posts: 492
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
A little bit more than a year.
And heres my point. You dont have the experience to back up the claims your talking about. You are taking other peoples word for it. I would like to hear from all these paleo advocats in a couple more years and see if they are still as entrenched in the paleo dogma as they were in the beginning. For the record i have eaten paleo for over 8 years and just recently went back to all things whole food which includes grains, legumes, dairy and sugar. The problem and reason i cant keep my mouth shut when i see threads like these is because people who worry about the foods being paleo are doing more harm then good by stressing out over diet. There is much more to health tyen eating with a certain set of foods. Paleo will never be a cure all and to proclaim it as the end all to nutrition because you have had good results for a year or less as most people do when they start up their own paleo/primal blog and start preaching and take the words of a select few gurus as if they were real experts with real degrees on the subject. Well it just rubs me the wrong way after years of reading, watching others and experimenting.

My last point is about grains and the mindset (like your own) that they are evil and the highest phase of health would be to eliminate them completely is asinine. They are a staple food for healthy and sick countries worldwide and have been for thousands of years. There is no way on earth that grains and gluten specifically is the root cause of disese and obesity. Its just not possible. For a select few it may be optimal to eliminate grains aswell as other garbage from their diet but for most its unnessesary at best and detrimental at worst.

Grains, legumes and dairy are three life saving foods for most of tye world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #38
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
And heres my point. You dont have the experience to back up the claims your talking about. You are taking other peoples word for it. I would like to hear from all these paleo advocats in a couple more years and see if they are still as entrenched in the paleo dogma as they were in the beginning. For the record i have eaten paleo for over 8 years and just recently went back to all things whole food which includes grains, legumes, dairy and sugar. The problem and reason i cant keep my mouth shut when i see threads like these is because people who worry about the foods being paleo are doing more harm then good by stressing out over diet. There is much more to health tyen eating with a certain set of foods. Paleo will never be a cure all and to proclaim it as the end all to nutrition because you have had good results for a year or less as most people do when they start up their own paleo/primal blog and start preaching and take the words of a select few gurus as if they were real experts with real degrees on the subject. Well it just rubs me the wrong way after years of reading, watching others and experimenting.

My last point is about grains and the mindset (like your own) that they are evil and the highest phase of health would be to eliminate them completely is asinine. They are a staple food for healthy and sick countries worldwide and have been for thousands of years. There is no way on earth that grains and gluten specifically is the root cause of disese and obesity. Its just not possible. For a select few it may be optimal to eliminate grains aswell as other garbage from their diet but for most its unnessesary at best and detrimental at worst.

Grains, legumes and dairy are three life saving foods for most of tye world.
What is your response to the proposed biochem mechanisms behind the paleo prescription regarding autoimmunity and metabolic derangement? (gut permeability, leptin, excessive fructose intake...among others)

Most of the Paleo authorities would be the first people to say that this may not be the be all end all of the science, but the evidence and the research thus far has been pretty compelling, and the opposing sides have been remiss to suggest an alternative, instead just calling it all theoretical horsesh*t...

They would ALSO be the first people to say that just because a food is evolutionary novel, doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. It however IS a good place to start the discussion. saturated fat falls into this category, as does broccolini and some new hybrids.
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #39
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Damn, what's up with all of the Paleo!!! hate recently? I don't follow it 100% anymore, but it is a pretty good base. I have milk and legumes once in a while, but I avoid most grains, except oatmeal. Paleo!!! may not be perfect, but it is better than most diets out there. The one negative about Paleo!!! is that it is expensive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
Renee Lee
Member Renee Lee is offline
 
Renee Lee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston  MA
Posts: 3,039
Re: Are plantains paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
thats like saying just eat paleo, f#$k paleo.

paleo = real food.

plantains are real food, thus paleo, considering bananas are one of the least healthy fruit I imagine plantains are in a similar boat. So, neither great nor horrible. If this is the worst thing you're eating you're doing pretty good.
Why do you think they're the "least healthy fruits?" Yes, they have a high glycemic index, but that just means that they're high in glucose, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's certainly a lot better than being high in fructose. Who are you and what are you trying to accomplish? Are you a healthy athlete, with a normal metabolism, and leaning out is not a priority? Bananas are a great choice, especially post-work out. Are you obese, metabolically deranged and you need to lose 100lbs? bananas, or really any fruit for that matter, are probably not your best choice

Keep some perspective, here, please.
__________________
"catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam."
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me your money or i'll throw a rock at your head.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paleo on the go! Ryan M. Hale Nutrition 10 07-23-2009 07:16 PM
Don't believe in Paleo because... Ben Chapman Nutrition 133 12-31-2008 03:18 PM
plantains John Edmondson Nutrition 1 01-26-2008 07:00 PM
Have Paleo Diet for Athletes; Need Paleo Diet Also? Brad Davis Nutrition 3 07-22-2007 09:22 PM
Paleo?? wagner, tyler Nutrition 14 06-22-2003 09:27 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.