CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Anyone have experience with doing multiple short workouts throughout the day?

Example might be:

50 swings for time
----
Max DL
---
10 quick sprints
---
Stretching

This kind of training would really suit my current lifestyle in residence.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I think too much of that might overload the central nervous system. Those first three are REALLY intense activities. If you're doing that three times in one day.... I think it just might be too much after a day or two.

Unless of course, your name is Matt G and you drink crude oil as a post workout recovery drink.

I'd say keep one of those three intense workouts. Replace one with skill work, handstands and the like. Replace the other with non max effort strength training (pullups, hspu, dips, but not to failure). That might work pretty well.

Just my own thoughts and observations.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Makes a lot of sense :-)
Old 10-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
There was actually a recent article in Military Fitness Magazine, run by Nate Morrison, detailing a workout schedule just like that.

Basically, the article called it Super Condition, and likened that style of training to old time farmers or other outdoor workers. Generally, they'd have a 5-6 day on, and a 1-2 day off, schedule, but those "on" days had you working a LOT. The human body can take a lot more than most think it can.

I say, as long as you keep your diet, sleep, and recovery in check, that training like that, with 3-5 workouts every "on" day, wouldn't be too much of a problem. You definitely don't want to do max efforts every day (or every week, even), but just throwing small workouts in whenever you can is a great way to train, especially if you only have a few minutes of free time at a time, and typically cannot get to a weight room. At least, this is what I've found from my personal experience.

Something else, when first starting out doing this, build up SLOWLY to 3-5 light workouts, and definitely do NOT try to take on more than one full intensity CrossFit (or CrossFit-style) WOD per day! If you do, do two max, and either do that on your last "on" day, or take an extra rest day. Some of the guys on this board can easily take on more than two WODs per day, but that's because they've been doing this sort of thing for quite a while. Jumping right in to multiple WODs per day is like someone untrained trying to jump into one WOD per day at 100%. Only bad things happen there.

So yeah, take it slow, build up, and watch all of those little workouts add up!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

I've done it in various forms for over a year now. And actually, it is best when it falls around your lifestyle. Pushup and situp workouts keep me awake during an overnight at work. For me, I end up pulling myself in too many directions at once ... lift in the morning, run in the evening, throwing in the afternoon ... some areas suffer, bad days outnumber good ... but in some ways that's ok, and one of the better ways to see results in such divergent events
Old 10-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Dave Clarke

Profile:
Having been a farmer for most of my life, I can confidently say that hgih intesity training over the course of a day, over consecutive days, is possible.

A normal day may have run like this:

Outdoor shoveling, 10kg, 4-500 reps
Farmer's walk up to a mile, 20kg each hand
Cow/sheep/goat chasing sprints, indefinately
Deadlift whatever needs lifting
CJ 80kg bales of oat hay, 10 reps
Lots of other stuff, high reps and weight.

Day after day. You have to work up to it though.

Dave in oz
Old 10-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
What I'm doing right now is a hybrid of Grease the Groove and CrossFit. I will do one round or one fraction of a time interval several times throughout the day. For example, with a 21-15-9 workout:
Morning: Round 1
2 hours later: Round 3
After lunch: Round 2
mid-afternoon: Round 3
Before Dinner: Round 1
Evening: Round 2

I sort of randomize rounds a bit and mix up the time intervals. If it is a 20 minute workout, I might do: 4,6,2,8,5 and 2 minutes.
I'm recovering from a pretty bad illness, so I just can't sustain any sort of aerobic activity for longer than a few minutes. I'm not really going at these mini-workouts at full intensity either, to be honest. But it is a good way to build back up. The volume is actually higher than what you would get in a single workout, but it is definitely not as taxing. Some people might think this sort of thing would lead to overtraining, but so far, it has not.

Tyler
Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 AM   #8
Nikki Young

Profile:
Dave what a workout! I'm coming to work up at your place :proud:

I do multiple short workouts on days when i wake up and just can't get the energy to complete a workout properly, or if i feel i haven't worked hard enough. This will generally end up with an afternoon workout and maybe a short workout at night too. I won't do more than that because each workout session is a FULL workout session, not just 1 or 2 exercises. If i could i would do 3 workouts everyday!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Jim Glover

Profile:
You know I'm glad I saw this.

I've been back doing Crossfit since the first of September and I'm not real happy with my progress thus far and I'm really not impressed with my level of intensity.

And this simply finishes the idea that I've had developing in the back of my mind that I've been kicking around to improve on certain exercises or groups of exercises that I need serious work on due to injury and doing them above my regular intensity threshhold.

Or taking Crossfit workouts and breaking them down into more rounds.

I was at the point where I was considering dropping my Crossfit training because of recovery problems due to scheduling and sleep issues because of my job.

But this will help and may even let me get in more workouts.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
A cool thing about this is you get that exercise rush multiple times a day. Definitely feels good to take breaks from studying this way.