CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Dave Clarke

Profile:
I can't remember if I read it somewhere, or whether I thought of it all by myself, but lately I've been using an exercise which puts the focus on the actual hip movement encountered in the oly lifts.

Kneel on the floor, bent at the hips, leaning forward slightly.

Using only the explosive power in your hips, try to jump up onto your feet into a quasi-squat position, ASAP.

I'm only a beginner at lifting, but I find that this movement feels the way videos/pics of lifters look in their hip movements.

Being a baginner, much improvement comes from improved technique, not strength. Being a simple move, there is less to concerntrate on at any one time, possibly making the learning of how to fire the muscles properly a little easier. I guess there's a proper name for that process with 'neuromuscular' in it somewhere but I don't know it.

Comments?

Dave
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Interesting trick.

I found that sometimes a compromised position - limited range of motion or a lot of weight on the bar or inhibiting one joint from a particular motion or asking the lifter to do something they doubt they can do - forces a new, correct, efficient, and explosive movement. Sometimes fear does this - fear that the weight is too heavy or the movement is too difficult. Like fixing an early arm bend in the Olympic lifts. Load up the bar a boatload of weight - too much to allow them to bend their arms - and tell them to jump the bar up as high as they can. Sometimes this kind of approach works. Sometimes it freaks them out, they don't make adaptive changes, and it doesn't work.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #3
Jonathan Robert Long

Profile:
I have done this movement as a drill for jiujitsu, and had forgotten it until now. I learned that the goal was to go from both knees on the floor to a complete standing position in one movement. Jumping from your knees, if you will. Im not sure, but it kind of feels like a box jump without the box. I think for hip extension its excellent.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Powerlifters do this with substantial weight (and no hop, just the squat) to work the glutes and glute recruitment. Seems like a worthwhile drill for O-lifters. Will mess with more.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Something to try for the day. I find that kettle bells really help with that explosive hip movement. As you try and snap the bell forwards on the upswing. Of course this means you need a kettlebell... but I guess a dumbell would work as long as you avoid bashing your knees with it...
Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

I usually do these jumpups instead of box jumps. I agree, they feel a lot like a squat style snatch to me. Rumor has it there is a track and field athlete who can jump-up with 225 on his back! I tried some with a little more than the bar and learned that this is a very ugly thing to miss on with weight on your back, I don't recommend it with weight AT ALL.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
Dave Clarke

Profile:
I wouldn't do it with weight either: it's just to demonstrate the movement in the hips.

Dave
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:
I just saw a video that showed it with the weight in front. You start with arms down and while jumping pop into the clean position. Haven't tried it, but it would be a lot safer than the back, I would think anyway.