CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Dave Clarke

Profile:
I don't know whether this shoulda been in 'Injuries' or what, but anyway:

Was doing some OHS yesterday, with as much weight as I felt comfy with: 20kg, for 21,25&9 reps, among other things.

I noticed when I got to the end of my sets that my fingers were starting to tingle, and afterwards for about 1/2 an hour they felt a little numb.

I had thought until last night that I was doing it right. Is this numbness a result of poor grip?

Cheers,

Dave in oz
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Dave,

my initial thought would be that your shoulder / rotator cuff muscles need to contract pretty hard when doing OHS, which may lead to local cramping (trigger points). Specific candidates for tingling fingers include the Teres minor which helps rotate the arm outward and can make the 4th and 5th fingers tingle, and the scalenes, which can make the first two fingers tingle. The tingling is coming from compression of nerves and/or arteries along the way from the shoulder down the arm.

Pics:
- see http://www.pressurepointer.com/Teres_trigger_points.htm
- see http://www.pressurepointer.com/Scale...ger_points.htm

See also the description of thoracic outlet syndrome under http://www.med.nyu.edu/hjd/harkness/...ies/wrist.html.

I would recommend taking the arms down from time to time in high rep sets of OHS, swinging them in circles, and rolling the shoulders, to make sure your shoulder muscles don't tighten up, and your hands get their necessary blood supply.

Thinking of this, maybe this is simply due to lack of blood supply to the hands? Many muscles along the way contract very hard, and the arms are way up all the time, making it hard for the blood supply to reach the hands. Another thought to ponder. You should be able to check this - if the tingling is due to occluded blood supply, onset of the tingling should be gradual (it comes slow), your fingers should be cold, and tingling should disappear when you put your hands down and relax. If symptoms persist for a longer time, either you have a muscle along the way that cramps (trigger point), or the whole thing is due to some other structural problem (see thoracic outlet syndrome and friends).

Good luck and fast recovery,

Christian

P.S.: Wow, I found another comprehensive trigger point chart! Cool! Look here: http://www.pressurepointer.com/pain_reference_chart.htm. Bookmarking for future reference ...

Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
I used to have this happen all the time to my right arm but as time has gone on it has become less and less frequent even with heavy loads. That said, my right shoulder has always given me problems and seems to give me more problems since I started doing OHS. I think I have an impingement.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
Great site btw, Christian.

(Message edited by troy on October 27, 2005)
Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Dave Clarke

Profile:
Cheers for the advice guys. Don't want to seem as if I'm ungrateful: I just can't get to the www more than 2-3 times a week!

Dave in oz