CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
Sean Harrison

Profile:
wow...sorry I was gone a couple of days.
I run the 10Ks from the WODs in about 57-58 mins. I usually do them at comfort level or comfort level +10%.
I do 5K 25% above comfort level in about 22 mins.
I'm doing this 10K just for giggles, but I do wanna see if I'm going to surprise myself. I only really want to do maybe 2 10K practice runs before the real thing. I think there'll be one in the WOD before then.
What I'm saying is I don't want to turn all my training towards endurance again.
Thanks for all the advice...oh ya, while I'm at it...has anyone done any stair running? There's a 46 storey building that has an annual run-up ( I did it in 10:18 last time) and I'll do it again next spring.
Eugene R. Allen what is caraoke? It's not what I think it is is it? Because I don't plan on singing Sixteen Tons like I usually do.

(Message edited by nardpuncher on October 31, 2005)
Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #12
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Hi again
I thought I would elaborate a bit more as I have a bit of mid distance background.
As Eugene said and is not exactly clear after re reading my post.
The 400m interval means run 400 with good technique at about 70-80% of your capacity then rest for 2-1mins(in general rest means walk around in circles and try to as best you can to recover fully) then run next 400, continue up to a max of 10x 400m.
The goal here is to maintain a constant time for all the 400m intervals rather then blasting the first 2 intervals and doing paste* for the rest.This however is by no means easy if trully running at 70-80% nevertheless gains are made even if running at a gradual declining percentage.
Generally even untrained runners of moderate fittness can complete 400m in 2mins the benefit is maintaining the 2min over the 10 intervals with good form.
If a Beginner runner with a goal of completeing a 10km in PR and recovering with minimal discomfort here is an outline of SSpecific Training
Min of 6 week preferably 8-10 weeks before
From Wk 2 Fortnightly light moderate pace 10km (preferably the course of the event)
2 sessions per Wk of the above intervals,starting with 5-6 intervals and introducing 1 session into 5-6x800m intervals at Wk 3
1 session per Wk of Hill Sprints on a Hill requiring about 2 mins of work at 60-80% with walk return + 1min recovery Max 6-8 intervals.Warm Up should have some light Pylometrics.
Last 10km should be at least 4 days before event,last week, light intervals reduced load.
If continuing WOD I felt enough would be acheived with the introduction of intervals alone(Hill sprints are really just strenght work for runners) to give your weeks a "Run Heavy" conditioning effect without the LSD demands on recovery.
Sorry for the long Post
I hope its clear and usefull.
*Paste = inability to continue workload at any impressive capacity.
eg,"Half way through Fran I am paste"
Old 11-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Mr. Cattermole I will heed your advice. At least most of it..as I'm trying not to do too much more actual running than is preoscribed by the WOD. I will of course be doing those 400s you mentioned.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Sean - Caraoke is that running sideways thing with one step in front and one step behind with as much hip rotation as you can muster. You only need 50 to 100 yards at a time of this.

Fortnightly. You just don't hear that often enough here in the land of french fries instead of chips, gas instead of petrol and where a boot is a place for your foot, not your luggage.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
:lol: Curse our Australian Education system.
So what do you gys call LPG?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Ladies Professional Golf no?
I've dome caraoke a few times but never knew it's name.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #17
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Sean i did the same type of thing back in 2003 when i originally discovered CrossFit.

Before that i was a total non runner. Would rather walk 5km then run 1km

Only running i did was WOD(on treadmill) and i started doing local fun runs in May, it was by accident/ had planed to walk the first one, a 5.5km but got stuck behind a heap of pram pushers (It was a mothers day run /walk to raise money for breast cancer) Anyway started running to get in front of them, made the one 1km mark and just kept going.
A few weeks later did a 10km ( "King/Queen of the Castle, up Castle hill) ran the first 5km UP without stopping in 35min, walked down the hill steppest parts than ran the last 2.5km, A month later did a 8.8km run and by july i did 10km in 1:02.

Didn't actually run between the races ( find it boaring , but as part of a group its OK) other than in WOD's. Sorry i lie i did one 4km jog

What i did do however was hill work up Castle Hill "goat track" (hiking track rather than road) Cross fit style once maybe twice a week .

Warm up. Walk "easy" part of the hill about 10min hr 150-160 , than betweem 3-5 sets of the stairs( about 3/4 stories worth of unevennly spaced and highted rock stairs) for time.
Powered up some times two steps at a time and used down as recovery.
Quite fun passing people as they where going up, pasing them on the way down and then going past up past them again before they had reached the top of the stairs for the first time.
One ladied i would pass every week started asking me "how many times today" generally on the first climb once i told her the number i was commited to it even if half way through i wanted to stop.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/29/15725.jpg
(the view's worth, the workout)

When i ran the 10km I ran it like a fartlek session fast for 400-800m then easy recovery then go again without stopping. Even managed to sprint last 400m or so across the finish line.

Good luck in your endevour, its totally possible

(Message edited by Fiona on November 01, 2005)
Old 11-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #18
Dave Clarke

Profile:
Eugene:

Where a store is a place you buy things , not keep things, where the bathroom has a lavatory, not a bath, where the last letter of the alphabet is 'Zee' not 'Zed', where civilization is spelt correctly, while civilisation is an abomination!

Dave in sunny/cloudy/wonderful/miserable Melbourne
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 AM   #19
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
this past weekend i did a 7 mile trail run in 54:44 off of nothing but crossfit and a handful of random/casual 3-4 milers with one of my friends. this was the first organized race i've done in about 5-6 years. i won my age group and was the fourth woman overall.
my suggestion is make your race plan and stick to it (especially when everyone is sprinting out ahead at the beginning).
i think it is possible to do just fine on crossfit only (or nearly so) especially if you have a disatnce running background. i heard someone at the race say that the first place woman does about 50 miles a week and speedwork. if i had to guess though, i doubt she can do too many pullups...