CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Michael Tong

Profile:
Just out of curiosity, what were your "fitness" credentials prior to opening your CrossFit gym? I ask because I SO want to open a CF gym but I continue to second-guess myself, thinking I don't have the credibility.

For what it's worth, my "credentials" (more like sports and fitness participation) are:
- basketball and baseball in high school
- crew team in college
- a bunch or intramurals in college
- meat-head iron pumping for 10 years off and on after college
- corporate softball and volleyball leagues

Non-fitness credentials that may be relevant:
- MBA from top 20 school
- former corporate-ladder-climber (managing departments up to 80 people) turned entrepreneur

I am confident in my business acumen (sorry, I REALLY don't mean to sound like I am tooting my own horn) but am unsure if I will have obstacles over-coming fitness credentials. Obviously, CF certification would be credibility by itself, but that is a given for every CF affiliate.

The CF gym continues to intrigue me becase I will be continually living in the fitness life-style while feeding my entrepreneuerial ambitions.

Perhaps at minimum, I could just do a NICE garage gym, hold small group trainings, personal training sessions, and maybe help the other local CF gym which is opening in a few months.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Jason McCain

Profile:
Honestly, I have never had anyone ask me about my credentials...at least not to this point. I worried about the same thing at first.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I think it's not the business/management stuff that you need to worry about. Nor is it being able to "prove" your qualifications to others based on certifications. What you need to do is learn as much as you can about real fitness and CF and become a really really good trainer. Do CF certifications, up to level 3, plus O-lift cert. Learn how to teach the basics of Olympic lifitng and gymanstics. Train people--inidividuals and small groups--as much as you can. Get a CF trainer to work with you if at all possible. Watch good CF trainers work with others and really study what they do and why. Take advantage of the CF Journal, the videos, and all the other resources on the CF site.

If you are good and confident in your ability, and really care about people and fitness and aren't in it primarily for financial gain, that's what matters to clients (at least to the ones you want), not the letters after your name.

IMNSHO.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
I had a paper route once.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Joe Celso

Profile:
Michael- I had (sometimes still have) the same unsuredness about my "qualifications". I really don't like getting that question because I can't say "I have this and that - here's my papers" and I worry that's what sells people... and to a point I think it's true. Thus far (started in Dec) it hasn't been an issue. I REALLY like training people and my clients can tell ...and they are kicking telling their friends.

Going to my level 2 CF cert REALLY helped affirm that I knew what I was doing. Since then, the trickiest part has been determining the capacities of others. I've learned (still learning) very quickly though.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Michael, if you are sub-contracting to someone else, they might require some certification.
However, if you run your own gym, and know what you are doing, your dedication is your "certification".
Old 03-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:
Michael,

Just sent you a PM, glad to see there is more interest in Columbus.

Bill
http://www.roguefitness.com
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
#1 credential-a passion for fitness
#2 credential-a passion to help others become fit and healthy.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
If you can effectively train your clients and can get a few to start, their testimonials will be all the credentials you need. Experience, the certs, etc just make you better, but it all comes down to how effective are you. Big box need all the papers so they can include it in their marketing fluff. Small box just needs results.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: For CF gym owners, what were your "fitness" credentials?

1. Desire to train myself
2. Desire to train others
3. ACSM-CPT
4. B.S. - Business Administration (Small Bus. Management concentration)
5. M.A. - Teaching (Secondary-Business Ed.)