CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
David Wise

Profile:

Hey, just a quick question about dips. I find that I tend to get elbow pains when I'm doing them- it happens with pushups to a lesser extent, too. It's kind of an unpleasant slidey feeling. According to my mum, I dislocated my elbow when I was about 5 years old and the doctor said I had 'shallow joints', if that helps. I've also been told by fitnessy people that small pieces of broken cartilage can cause this problem. Should I keep doing the dips regardless or look into some kind of substitution?
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Let's go to Exercises.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Diagnosing over the internet is a presumptuous thing to do. General comments about this sort of thing. Many of these odd aches and pains will go away as you get stronger/fitter. Some can be greatly aggrevated by trying to work through them. Listen to your body, if the pain gets progressvely work while doing an excersize, you'll need to modify that until that has recovered enough to coninue that. Keep working that ROM, make the resistance light (go through the dip while standing so you can keep weight on your feet). If it persists for a long time go see an ortho.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
David Wise

Profile:

Fair enough.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Nick Thomas

Profile:  
I have a similar problem. For the last 3 months or so, I have been doing several sets of assisted dips in my warmup every day. It seems to be helping a lot. Before that, I was avoiding dipping altogether (not the best idea).

Keep the assistance high, work through a full range of motion, and keep it slow and controlled. Basically, what Roger said.

Don't be tempted to ramp up to full intensity too quickly. I would keep it light for several months, and then see where you are.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:
I would suggest icing it after everytime you workout to make the healing process go faster. If there are other exercises you can do that don't hurt your triceps that's preferable. If it's tendonitis (which it might be if the pain progresses), the supplement glucosamine can help strength the connective tissues.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Massage your triceps and rotator cuff muscles before and after doing the dips. Use a ball against the wall for the muscles on your back side. The knuckles of the other side hand (when standing) or the same side knee (when sitting on the floor as if hugging your shins) work well on the triceps.

If that doesn't help (pain persists), and you get the pain reliably each time when doing dips, consider a real diagnosis with an x-ray and/or MRI scan to see if there is any structural damage.

However, muscle-induced pain is the far more likely scenario.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian