CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Apperently you haven't been following my recommendations.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Frank Menendez

Profile:
What do you mean?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Marc Moffett

Profile:
Frank, I would think twice before jumping on this particular bandwagon. Unless you are eating grass fed beef and unless you are consuming the majority of the animal (including organs and marrow) your beef is pretty neolithic. My two cents.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #14
Hone Watson

Profile:
Organ meats are pretty crucial to a proper healthy diet.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I've been following this thread but keeping my nose out until now to just see what I could pick up but now my curiosity got the better of me and I need clarification on two things.

1) Jeremy, please explain your comment to Frank if it has some bearing related to the topic?

2) Hone, you make an assertion that "Organ meats are pretty crucial to a proper healthy diet." and don't cite any reasons why. If you could it would be most helpful.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #16
David Wood

Profile:

Jumping in with absolutely no knowledge (that's the beauty of the Internet, isn't it?):

a) I'm pretty sure Jeremy was making a joke. I, myself, have been following Jeremy's recommendations for months now, and they have made me the man I am: pasty white, asthmatic, almost spherical . . .

b) The idea of eating organ meats (e.g., heart, liver, kidney, (gulp) brains) comes from observing that wild animals appear to consider these the "choice cuts", as do the few true hunter-gatherer societies remaining. (They are also (usually) far higher in vitamins, enzymes, crucial fats, etc., than the "muscle meat" we normally eat.)

That said, there's no way I would do that today unless I was *very* sure of the totally organic nature of the meat . . . those same organs tend to be where all of the faults of modern agribusiness will manifest themselves: pesticides, hormones, prions, etc.

I grew up eating all that stuff (even beef brains) 40 - 50 years ago, because money was scarce and those cuts were the cheapest stuff available . . . but meat wasn't raised with all the chemical enhancements back then. Wouldn't do it now.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #17
Frank M Needham

Profile:
OK, good to hear you're happy with the results so far David. Let me know when you've reached the advanced level of whatever it is that you've described please.

Over the years it has been my pleasure to have eaten gizzards, liver, heart, scrapple, kidney, chitlins, and so forth, for pleasure. Not that often mind you and I'd never before heard that there was any claim to it being healthy for you.
I'll have to make sure that 1/2 steer being delivered in September is not minus all the goodies, nor the 40 chickens that are coming with it. This product I'm buying btw is from a local rancher with whom I've become friendly here in So. Nevada. Here's the website if anyone's interested: http://highdesertnatural.com/home.htm
This year the beef they have is to grain finished but next year's will be fully grass fed. I know that the rancher and his wife, Matt & Julie Wadsworth, are very motivated so give them a holler if you like.

Excuse me for hijacking please...

(Message edited by fmn on July 22, 2006)
Old 07-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
The idea of eating organ meats (e.g., heart, liver, kidney, (gulp) brains) comes from observing that wild animals appear to consider these the "choice cuts", as do the few true hunter-gatherer societies remaining.

That's passing for a scientific argument around here now? Dogs sniff each other's butts. Should we do that too?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:39 AM   #19
Paul Symes

Profile:
Charlie, you could try it for a month and let us know how you get on.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #20
Elliot Royce

Profile:
actually, it's not just the remaining hunter/gatherer societies that eat organ meats. French and Belgium diets include them quite extensively, and I don't mean only "foie gras" which of course is goose liver. They also eat brains, heart, kidneys, pancreas, etc. not to mention pigs feet, pigs face, and horse. The British love kidneys. We eat liver. So it's not that odd.

I believe some Asian societies also have various organs that they eat.

I travelled pretty extensively, and I think Americans are probably the most squeamish nation when it comes to body parts, for whatever reason. Not that I'm into brains or hearts or whatever.