CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
James M Nechleba

Profile:
hello all! i'm new to the boards, but have been looking at the site and threads for a couple weeks now. after an initial lookthrough of the nutrition posts, i decided to switch to a paleo diet, and i feel great =). i noticed that people had the greatest success with combining paleo with the zone. i've done my reading and understand how the blocks work, how much i'm supposed to take in...but the sheer VOLUME of vegetables seems staggering to me. how do you fit it all in? i'm very active, so i used 1 as the multiplier, and came out to about 18 blocks. yes, fruits are denser, but i was looking to incorporate more vegetables in my diet, really, and 80 cups of spinach just isn't going to work for me to get 4 blocks in 1 meal, nor is 12 cups of brocolli. can someone help me out with this?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #2

Profile:

james - you'll find eventually that the zone defies some fundamental ideas of a very strict paleo approach--namely, the zone advocates a much larger carb intake. so getting adequate paleo carbs in the paleo diet is not hard, because you don't end up eating that much of them.

if you're doing CF a lot, you'll likely need the zone's higher carb level--and you'll consequently likely not be able to do that with either little fruit or strictly paleo foods. like you said, it's not practicle.

stick to fruits like grapes with less fructose and more glucose and cheat on the paleo aspect with some yams as a dense carb source.

bottom line - if you're going to combine anything, there will need to be some compromises.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
James M Nechleba

Profile:
thank you for your help! i figured that this might be the case...even with the little methods that i picked up from scanning the archives (making vegetable soup, v-8/juicers, stir-fry) i still didn't see how getting in all those vegetables were possible. another question of mine...if it takes 20 cups of spinach to equal one block, isn't 1 or 2 cups nearly negligible? oh! and one more question...i enjoy cherry tomatoes (aka grape tomatoes) quite a bit...does anyone know the blocking for them?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #4

Profile:

don't count reasonable amounts of lettuce/spinach at all toward blocks--it is completely negligible. if you can eat enough of that stuff to fill a single block, let along multiples, you have bigger concerns than food proportions...

cherry tomatoes--count them as you would normal tomatoes in terms of bulk.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
James M Nechleba

Profile:
quick question: what do you mean, cheat with grapes? what kind of grapes? and yams/sweet potatoes? i don't really follow what you mean by "lower fructose, higher glucose"...
Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #6

Profile:

different fruits have different amounts of fructose and glucose. fructose has to be broken down by the liver, and consequently is used to replenish depleted liver glycogen when eaten. once the liver is topped off, remaining fructose is converted to body fat for storage. glucose, on the other hand, is used more to replenish muscle glycogen instead of liver, which is what you want (this is why grape juice is a popular post-workout food).

so grapes are not cheating on paleo--that's fine. yams technically are not paleo foods, but if you have a high activity level (e.g. crossfit), you'll need a higher carb intake than is practical with strictly paleo eating. so the cheating is eating yams as a way to get more carbs without eating 30 lbs of vegetables a day.

(Message edited by gregeverett on June 08, 2006)
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
James M Nechleba

Profile:
interesting...so if i use yams/sweet potatoes/grapes, i won't have to eat as much vegetables. question, though. i used to bodybuild and they also recommended grapes or grapejuice postworkout as a carb replenishment tool. for the purposes of crossfit, would i have to consume grapes or yams postworkout as well?

also, is there a particular KIND of grape i should be looking for? how many blocks are they worth?

sorry for all the questions...i'm a newbie till i get this all figured out...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #8

Profile:

the PWO meal is a point of contention. personally, i do 20 g protein + bunch o fat pre workout, then a protein/yam combo post workout. some poeple find a standard zone meal adequate. depends on the workout, also.

grapes - i think 1/2 = 1 block. check out issue 21 of the crossfit journal for a good block chart.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yep, 1/2 cup is one block with grapes.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I've started using yams a bit in my diet, going to buy more when I go shopping today. They fit much better in the stomach during an eight-block dinner than a bag of spinach, bag of cauliflower, and three apples, that's for sure!

Last night's dinner (didn't count blocks), split unevenly b/w my wife and I:

1 large organic yam, cut lengthwise into quarters, then into 3/8" thick slices

Started sauteeing that in ~2 Tbsp. EVO coconut oil

Added 1 chopped onion, continued cooking

Added 1 lb. of grassfed organic ground beef, continued cooking

Added (lots of)turmeric, (lots of) cumin, sea salt. Finished cooking. Added four cloves of pressed garlic and fresh ground black pepper.

Awesome. Definitely going to be one of the meals in rotation from now on. FYI, I did add an apple for a bit more carbs (guesstimating, I do need to learn more about yams and their general carb content).

A very yellow/orange dinner. Definitely got the carotenoids in there!

(Message edited by guerilastrength on June 09, 2006)