CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Joel Chapman

Profile:
I'd really like some feedback from veteran Zoners! I would like to know if the progress I made is typical or acceptable or in need of change.

I just completed 4 weeks of the Zone. 16 blocks. I weighed, measured, and recorded every meal. I had 6 cheat meals (over 94% compliance).

I started at 5'9" and 186 lbs @ 14.5% bf (159 lbs of lean mass and 27 lbs of fat mass).

After 4 weeks: 183 lbs @ 13.1% bf (159 lbs lean mass and 24 lbs of fat mass).

I did WOD/5X5/WOD/rest during this time. My performance continued to improve (it was improving before going on the Zone as well).

My main goal is to lose body fat, with a secondary goal of gaining lean mass.

This way of eating really represents quite a change for me. I significantly reduced the total amount of food, plus cut out the breads, pastas, and rice.

Since this was so different to me, I assumed I'd lose more fat in this amount of time. I know when I look in the mirror I seem to have really changed, but my mind could be playing tricks on me.

Upon further reflection, I realize that four weeks is a small fraction of time compared to the years I'd been eating the other way. Since I'd been working out just as hard before I started the Zone, I don't have that "multiplier" of starting the Zone and exercise at the same time.

Am I making proper progress?

Should I change anything to my approach?

Should I just give it more time?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Your results sound great. You say that looking in the mirror you can see changes. I always rate that as one of the most important indicators of progress along with performance, energy level, and mood. What method are you using to analyze your bodyfat? I ask because you stated that you have seen positive changes and you later sound slightly discouraged I assume because your bodyfat analysis indicates that you have lost 1% bodyfat. You are making good progress. Perhaps post a day's food log. Also how were the cheat meals? Similiar calories to a normal meal but whatever you wanted to eat, similiar foods but as much as you wanted?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Joel Chapman

Profile:
Nick,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, initially I was a bit dissapointed. But, once I thought about it more, I felt better about the situation.

I am using BIA to measure bf%. But, I am using an ave. of about ten measurements taken over the course af about two days to help dampen some of the variation.

The cheat meals were generally both more calories than I would eat in a zone meal, and different food (pizza, pasta, etc.). I didn't go totally nuts, but I didn't hold back either.

Sample day in the Zone:

Breakfast (4 blocks)
4 egg whites, 1 whole egg (3 PRO)
1 oz. cheese (1 PRO)
12 Almonds (4 FAT)
1 Orange (2 CHO)
1 cup Strawberries (1 CHO)
1/2 cup Grapes (1 CHO)

Lunch (4)
3/4 cup Brussel Sprouts (1 CHO)
2 cup Broccoli (1 CHO)
1 Apple (2 CHO)
4/3 tsp Olive Oil (4 FAT)
6 Oz. Salmon (4 PRO)

Snack (2)
3 Oz. Shrimp (2 PRO)
1 1/2 cup Brussel Sprouts (2 CHO)
2/3 tsp. Olive Oil (2 FAT)

Dinner (4)
4 Oz. ground Turkey (3 PRO)
1 Yogurt (1 PRO, 1CHO)
1/2 cup Grapes (1CHO)
1 Apple (2 CHO)
12 Cashews (4 FAT)

Snack (2)
6 Almonds (2 FAT)
1 Cup Strawberries (1 CHO)
1/2 Cup Grapes (1 CHO)
1/2 Cup low-fat Cottage Cheese (2PRO)

PS Last week three people asked me if I was losing weight.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
First of all, you are making good progress. There are some suggestions that I would make if you want to speed things up a bit.

This always seems like my first suggestion:
Ditch the dairy products. Dairy is designed to turn a calf into a cow. When trying to lose bodyfat, one doesn't want those kind of properties in a food.

Get some coconut oil and some cod liver oil in there.

Try not to have so much fruit before bed if you can avoid it. Personally, I would move your snack blocks into dinner. I know this isn't what Dr. Sears recommends, it works for me.

Do your best to limit your cheat meals to 1x/week.

Remember, it takes time to build momentum. You're building it in the right direction.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
Carl Herzog

Profile:
When you're in it for the long haul the direction you are moving is way more important than the speed of your progress.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
You're making great progress. You'll be down to 5% bodyfat at this rate in about 6 months. I wouldn't make any changes until the progress stops. If you make changes now, you won't be able to make any adjustments if you get stuck.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Ryan Kirk

Profile:
Dr. G, how much coconut oil and CLO would you add to the diet that Joel posted?

Why not have the pre-bed snack?

Ryan

(Message edited by hondaracer on April 17, 2006)
Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I think the idea with the pre-bed snack is that your body won't really use the carbs as fuel that late in the day, so they are more likely to be stored as fat. Better to have some fat and protein with a very low GI source like vegetables, than something like bread or fruit if your overall goal is losing some bodyfat.