CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Has anyone built a size that looks like you lift via crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Schliesser View Post
I would argue games athletes do follow crossfit programming. Just look at Invictus, outlaw, or competitors wod programming
I would argue that 95%+ of affiliates don't follow a programming like that. I would also argue that the programming by those affiliates is not the only work those athletes are doing (if they truly are doing it).
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Travis Schliesser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
I would argue that 95%+ of affiliates don't follow a programming like that. I would also argue that the programming by those affiliates is not the only work those athletes are doing (if they truly are doing it).
It doesn't matter if 95% of affiliates do or not. Games athletes do follow these programs and they are crossfit programs. And I don't know how you would know that 95% of affiliates don't follow that kind of programming. But many affiliates that I know program standard crossfit wods for their regular classes, then their competitors follow something like Invictus or similar. I don't know if you've ever followed programming by one of the three gyms I mentioned, but if you do you will soon realize you don't need to do extra work, except for extra skill work.

Last edited by Travis Schliesser; 06-22-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Schliesser View Post
It doesn't matter if 95% of affiliates do or not. Games athletes do follow these programs and they are crossfit programs. And I don't know how you would know that 95% of affiliates don't follow that kind of programming. But many affiliates that I know program standard crossfit wods for their regular classes, then their competitors follow something like Invictus or similar. I don't know if you've ever followed programming by one of the three gyms I mentioned, but if you do you will soon realize you don't need to do extra work, except for extra skill work.
So what would you say to all of the Games athletes who have come out and explained their programming? Especially at a time like now (between Regionals and the Games) I know for a fact, because they've stated it, that they do a lot more than just the basic programming by Invictus or similar. It just isn't enough at this point. Even before Regionals, you had some of the better athletes explaining their programming, and it didn't line up much with those affiliates.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post
With that said I really like what xfit has to offer, but I am also trying to get bigger or at least look like I lift (at 5'9" I feel anything over 185 and under 12% body fat would look like I lift).
Most likely CrossFit will not fit your goals. 185 on a 5'9" @ 12% bf is fairly big. CrossFit or CrossFit Football is going to put mass on the lower body but not build the big chest and biceps to give you the "I lift" look your are describing.

Stick to your current program it seems to match your goals well.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
Travis Schliesser

Profile:

Quote:
So what would you say to all of the Games athletes who have come out and explained their programming? Especially at a time like now (between Regionals and the Games) I know for a fact, because they've stated it, that they do a lot more than just the basic programming by Invictus or similar. It just isn't enough at this point. Even before Regionals, you had some of the better athletes explaining their programming, and it didn't line up much with those affiliates.
Im know they do more than basic programming. I don't think they just do a wod everyday that is constantly varied and call it good. I think an olympic lifting template or a strength template with two or three wods a week is still considered crossfit.
And the training there doing now is different from the training they do the rest of the year but it's still crossfit. I know they get more individualized as the games get closer.
I don't know what athletes have came out and explained their programming but I'd be interested to see. I just see the games athletes that post to the comment section of the competition blogs. And I know for the most part what the athletes do that qualified from the North West and I'd say its crossfit.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
They are certainly still doing what would be considered Crossfit for sure. Met cons, Strength template , specific Gymnastics work. Many gyms also now have additional programming for people that are interested in competing . Like Invictus.

They are certainly not following CF.com . I give you that.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

If you train to perform well in Crossfit style competitions, the way you look is just collateral, the fact is that you cannot move heavy objects for reps without some decent muscle mass, so Crossfit helps to get big muscles but to a certain extent only.
If you want to be as muscular as possible, you need workouts that support this goal (ie body building).
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic Deguy View Post
If you want to be as muscular as possible, you need workouts that support this goal (ie body building).
Train like the athlete you want to look like. I try to train like a mix of Rugby players and olympic lifters because that's more the body type I want.

If you want to look like someone who does body building, train like they do and do body building.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Richard Colon

Profile:

Want to be fit while looking like you lift?

Train the yoke (look it up). Eat more. Do Crossfit. When your fitness starts slowing down to the point where you don't feel fit anymore, you are eating too much. But still, train the yoke. That makes you look HA UGE.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Bill Walker

Profile:

My unprofessional opinion.

Keep training for strength and hypertrophy, and throw in some metcons here and there. How long? Depends on you. I'd break them up into 5-8-10 (whatever) minutes for a total of 30 minutes or so

I'd research what Weightlifters do,what some top level CF athletes, and what Strongman, PL and BB'ers do and piece it here and there. Overall just keep researching and experiment. There is no sole body type for CF to me. Yeah it may be known for "smaller cats" but that's not set in stone. A lot of smaller guys are probably beginners

My own personal experience. From the summer of 2012 I trained to get really strong and did intense Cardio throughout the week. I didn't take a CF class but we'd make our own CF/Intense Circuit style workouts, and I take a boxing class on Saturdays. We trained depending on what was needed via bb'ing style with a focus on Heavy compound movements.

I'm a big believer of the notion that your body will adapt. It's not the most scientific and I don't have a name for it but whatever.

In short Lift Heavy as you probably already do, throw in some metcons, keep doing research, eat appropriate and see what happens. Ask some coaches and piece the answers together. Some coaches/sites/articles/methods will conflict each other. I think the most important thing in this regard will be the usual...nutrition.

Good look brother!!!!

Last edited by Bill Walker; 06-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typo and stuff.