CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: The definition of being "big"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
I had no idea my simple (glib) statement would get so much attention...!
I was just being a little tongue-in-cheek by highlighting that comment. It doesn't really bother me.

My knee-jerk reaction was just that certainly there things to love more about Crossfit than not having mirror checkers / posers.

Quote:
"Well, no, the program doesn't really work, but the good news is that we don't have mirrors."
Quote:
"Cool. I'm in."

- Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #32
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
There is nothing more I love about CrossFit than, you never have to see people checking themselves out in the mirror.
Give me a break. The mirrors are just literally not there but a lot of that is because 1) you wan't to develop awareness and know your Squat mechanics rather than see how you Squat. 2) you save money. Wall to wall mirrors are expensive and unnecessary. 3) they aren't the best when throwing weights, bumpers, etc. around. and 4) you move too much during workouts. There isn't a whole lot of standing around while you lift to watch yourself.

You are kidding yourself however if you think there are no mirrors because Crossfitters don't like to check themselves out. For every Crossfitter that swears "we don't need mirrors to check ourselves out while we train", you will see a dozen Crossfitters that don't need to take their shirts off, yet they do. They will still walk into a Crossfit gym wearing Nano's that match their socks, a Rogue t-shirt, some kind of "froningesque" bandana and rock tape. If they are not in WoD mode, you will see a shirt that says "My Snatch is better than yours." This is all because Crossfitters are not vain or give 2 $hits about what others think of how they look right? Give me a break.

For every Crossfitter that swears "bodybuilders are so not functional and I never want to train like that" there are a dozen that sit and look at Phil Heath or any dude at the big box gym with larger quads, a more muscular back or simply "the guns" and thinks...damn, I'd still take that. You're tellin' me, all a Crossfitter thinks is "well my Fran time is sub 3mins, I don't care that his body looks like a greek gods." Again, give me a break.

For every Crossfitter that swears "benching is for bodybuilders, we do C&J and Snatch" you have a dozen Crossfitters that will almost never make any sort of podium, especially in Olympic weightlifting, yet could use a good dose of Benching and overall pressing strength because even with your 5 minute Karen time, a sub 205 bench press for a man is still pretty pathetic (I only partially kid.)

For every Crossfitter that swears "we do this so different than you do", there are a dozen more than find out that Froning does "strict Pull-ups, Sprints, Benching 1-2x PER WEEK, powerlifting training with band work and chains and stuff like that." They find out that Khalipa gets better by doing A LOT of 800m intervals and listens to a Triathlete...the same one's that are too specialized and look like Gollum rather than bada$$ Crossfit elite fit looking.

For every Crossfitter that swears "we don't use machines, we build them!", I've seen a dozen struggle at a recent local Crossfit event when the prescribed was "strict pull-ups", rather than kipping ones. I mean super fit not obese people with insane Thruster cycling that looked dumbfounded and humbled doing more than 5 strict pull-ups without some effort to start moving their legs/hips. Your average decent bodybuilder that have a well built/strong back that uses lots of Cable Rows and Lat Pulldowns (WHAT MACHINES?) does sets of 10-15 strict pulls/chins on dare I say...'BACK DAY' as a finisher.

Just give the whole Crossfitters are this and they are that a big fuggin' rest already. That was so 2007. In today's game, athletes are athletes, training is training, hard work is hard work, fit is fit and strong is strong. Ryan Hall is Froning, as is Ashton Eaton, Tiger Woods, Lebron James, Usain Bolt, Liu Xiaojun and Koklyaev. Because last time I checked, running a sub 2:05 marathon is kind of hard. Like you winning the Crossfit games kind of hard. That hard. I know it isn't sub 3min Fran and Diane hard while also being able to C&J 350+ but ya know...I mean, winning Olympia 8x in a row like Ronnie Coleman...happens all day!

Last edited by Richard Colon; 02-11-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #33
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I mean, winning Olympia 8x in a row like Ronnie Coleman...happens all day!
Yeah but come on dude. That was all drugs.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
Clint Harris

Profile:

Hello, my name is Clint and I'm a crossfitter. (whatever that means). I have looked at myself in the mirror everyday for the past couple of years. Have flexed my back and traps and tris too - in an attempt to see if they are actually there. Pretty sure I'm not the only one and has little to nothing to do with crossfit. There aren't any mirrors at the gym so I do this at home. I am not on facebook so have never posted something there. If I were I never would anyway. Although, I don't see much seperation between that and being in here banging away on the keyboard about this stuff. I work out with socks and a t-shirt because that's what i used to wear in rugby training. I also always have my shirt tucked in too - old habit because a tail can be grabbed or touched. I don't take it off because I don't want to clean the floors with my stomach. The shirt also helps with sweat management and I don't understand the need to take it off. I'd prefer some people left it on. This used to happen when playing sport too - sometimes it was because of shirts vs skins, sometimes it wasn't. I don't know why powerlifters always wear a hoody either. (oh wait, not all do, my bad). My shoes, socks and shirt sometimes match. But that is by pure coincidence. I tend to put on what ever I grab. My socks often mis-match on purpose, but that is rooted in the "uglies" history of training.

Seriously, I wish there were a mirror so I could see some of my positions and get instant feedback. My kinesthetic awareness is pretty good but I also need to see WTF I am doing so I can re-enforce those positions. It needs some constructive learning too. Video can help, but it is not instantaneous. Just like golf - there are no mirrors out there either and I play by feel (rehearsal is in head) but in practice I use a mirror and/or a live camera/monitor not to check out how pretty my moves are, but to re-enforce over and over exactly what 90* looks and more importantly, feels like. So I can match feel with reality. I could go somewhere that I think is 90* but over time, without seeing it, it'll become 80* and i'll be out of position. As a result, the rest of the sequence will be out of position and the ball won't go where I'm looking. So I'll compensate again and become less efficient. I see no difference in crossfit/exercise/training either. Knowing where you are in a snatch would be advantageous. Being able to instantly see and feel where my hips or bar is would be great. I could put myself into static positions and literally ingrain where that is. Rather than seeing it later on video and having no idea if that little bit I move made a difference. One mirror would be really useful to those of us who can learn and more importantly feel a position by seeing it and being in that actual position. Rather than "up a bit" or "down a bit". Being dynamic infront of a mirror won't help much, but hitting static positions and seeing them is huge. I don't like to squat in front of a mirror, it's off putting. But if I need to work a position, the mirror becomes invaluable.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 02-12-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #35
Adam Shreim

Profile:

That is why I like deadlifting in my driveway, sometimes. I can see the reflection in the side panels of my wife's GMC Terrain. It is almost like having a mirror.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #36
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Yeah but come on dude. That was all drugs.
Duh. And it's not like those muscles even have functional strength, they are all show and no go.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #37
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
That is why I like deadlifting in my driveway, sometimes. I can see the reflection in the side panels of my wife's GMC Terrain. It is almost like having a mirror.
Plus when it's sunny you can see how buff your shadow is
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #38
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Duh. And it's not like those muscles even have functional strength, they are all show and no go.
Wouldn't be naive. With that much size, does come strength. And although hypertrophy is the name of the game for those guys, you can't get that size without getting strong, even with PEDs.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #39
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:

"Eat." or "Steroids." The end.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #40
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Wouldn't be naive. With that much size, does come strength. And although hypertrophy is the name of the game for those guys, you can't get that size without getting strong, even with PEDs.
Turn on your sarcasm radar.