CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Chuck Golden

Profile:
Re: Research Study: CrossFit Injuries

Link didn't work for me.....
Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Feito View Post
Participation in this study is completely voluntary and anonymous. If you would like to participate, please follow this link (http://*******/KSU_CF2014) and answer the question accordingly. IF you have completed this survey within the last month, please DO NOT fill it out again.
Can you explain how a voluntary participation study can be of any statistical value?

Once you post it on this board you have added a filter to your selection process that could hurt your data. People with injuries, working without a coach and high level competitors are all more likely to be on these boards then the average CrossFitter who makes up the largest group in CrossFit. The group on these boards is at higher injury risk.

Lots of people trying to make a name for themselves either in CrossFit or attacking CrossFit.

Can you defend the quality of your scientific process? How is your study designed? Why is it valid?

As an affiliate owner I'm very interested in injury rates and even more importantly what are the most common injuries and can we change things to reduce the risk. I don't ever expect the risk to go to zero but if we as a community can identify best practices to reduce the risk that would be good.

I just like to see well designed studies with large enough sample sizes selected properly.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Better be clear on what a "Crossfit injury" is and is not.

If I'm out in the garage doing deadlifts, and I strain my back, and I'm a Crossfitter, is that a Crossfit injury? Or is it a weight lifting injury? If I'm doing 100m sprints and I pull a hammy and I'm a Crossfitter, is that a track and field injury or a Crossfit injury?

Where do you draw the line? Or is there even a line to be drawn?

- Mark
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Miles Roberts

Profile:

I took this survey when it was posted on Twitter.

By far the greatest flaw in this survey is that an injury is defined in several ways, one of which, is anything for which the athlete takes medication for pain. In my opinion, that makes the whole thing nonsense. I'll take an ibuprofen after raking leaves if my back is sore. Does that mean I sustained a raking injury?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Since it looks like the OP probably got booted, how should someone go about actually studying the injury rate of Crossfit?

These are all valid questions, what's considered an injury, does it matter how the injury occurred, how to you find your sample size, how do you factor in the quality of coaching/programming?

The way CF is set up, it makes it very hard for these questions to be answered.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
Since it looks like the OP probably got booted,...
I don't think that's what happened. If you check the "Injuries" subforum, there's another thread from the same OP about the same topic. His original message in that thread is still there, and it shows his account status as normal.

I guess maybe a mod just deleted the original post in this particular thread for some reason. Dunno.

As for the topic itself...I still want a question as to how you categorize something as a "Crossfit injury."

For example, if I injure myself on Clean & Jerk while I happen to be at a Crossfit box, is that a Crossfit injury? If my friend has the very same injury doing the very same thing at the YMCA, is *that* a Crossfit injury?

I am extremely skeptical about this.

- Mark
Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

- Mark
What about using chalk for double-unders?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
As for the topic itself...I still want a question as to how you categorize something as a "Crossfit injury."

For example, if I injure myself on Clean & Jerk while I happen to be at a Crossfit box, is that a Crossfit injury? If my friend has the very same injury doing the very same thing at the YMCA, is *that* a Crossfit injury?

- Mark
That was sort of the point of my last comment, it's really difficult to answer any of these questions because what is really CF specific? If you narrow it down to movements only done in CF you're left with just Kipping pull-ups/HSPUs, rebounding box jumps and double unders ( I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head). I would imagine you'd have to classify any injury that happens in a CF box as a CF injury (save for falling off a ladder while changing a light bulb or something like that).

And you could make the case that since CF incorporates Olympic lifting, power lifting, gymnastics, running, etc, then they must also assume the risks associated with those sports.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Simon View Post
What about using chalk for double-unders?
Well, that's totally legit. `Course.

- Mark
Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
That was sort of the point of my last comment, it's really difficult to answer any of these questions because what is really CF specific? If you narrow it down to movements only done in CF you're left with just Kipping pull-ups/HSPUs, rebounding box jumps and double unders ( I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head). I would imagine you'd have to classify any injury that happens in a CF box as a CF injury (save for falling off a ladder while changing a light bulb or something like that).

And you could make the case that since CF incorporates Olympic lifting, power lifting, gymnastics, running, etc, then they must also assume the risks associated with those sports.
Well, you could add high-rep Clean and Jerks and Snatches to the list, since they are pretty much exclusive to CF and are the main target of people b**ching about the dangers of CF.