CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
This morning, for the first time, I got to the gym with so little energy, I just couldn't do my WoD and will have to go back tonight.

Last night I ran the 5ks pretty hard, had a bit of fish and broccoli for dinner when I got back home and then ate no breakfast before going to the gym.

Normally I can skip breakfast and workout just fine, but this morning, I felt really weak.

People may have different explanations, but I put it down to the fact that I am probably leaner now than I ever have been, and that without the reserves of fat that I am used to, my body won't function unless it is regularly topped up with food.

I don't know how people can do workouts after fasting.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Kris Crowley

Profile:
From what I am reading here, you may need to add more fat to your diet to have that energy since you don't have the fat stores any longer.

Good luck,

Kris
Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
I wish that was the case Kris. But I measured my body fat before doing the run last night and it was about 15%. So there's plenty of fat in there. It might just have been the two workouts in such close proximity to one another on top of the small amount of food that I ate between. It's now up to noon though and I still don't feel that strong. I might still be run-down after my trip to the snow on the weekend.

"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting on line to babes all day." :-)
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Matthew,

It definately isn't your BF% that's causing your performance to lag. Doing a 5K er at night only to be followed up by a full blown WOD in the morning certaingly can be taxing, especially if your body isn't used to it.

Meanwhile, how's your sleep?-both quantity and quality. How's your mood?Working in an empty stomach isjust habbit, when you get used to it, you'll haveno problems whatsoever.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 AM   #5
Paul Symes

Profile:
quote: Last night I ran the 5ks pretty hard, had a bit of fish and broccoli for dinner when I got back home and then ate no breakfast before going to the gym.

Haven't you answered your own question there? You're not fuelling your workouts and you won't recover from them eating broccoli and fish. Sorry to keep bringing this up but the answer's there with neon lights on it
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 AM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
What's wrong with broccoli and fish for a refuel? I might not have eaten enough, I'll admit that, but is fish no good for fuel?

A good reason for a juicy steak tomorrow night. :-)
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
Carl Herzog

Profile:
There is no way that being at 15% bf is causing your performance to suffer (unless you used to be 10% :wink:).

Look elsewhere.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #8
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Fish is fine. But a bit of fish and broccoli for dinner? No way pedro.

Eating a plate full (and I do mean plate full - heaped high and proud) of veggies and fish will not pile on the pounds that you seem to be trying to lose. All that's going to happen by eating so little after a 5k and before a WoD is that you'll eat up muscle and, as you found, won't have any energy for another BF-shedding WoD.

So, you want eat a good meal (Do the Zone, Do the Zone, Do the Zone) and still get your snacks in. Then have a decent brekkie and do your WoD. A 5k is still a bugger of a WoD and so your next day's performace will probably be worse than usual.

After a 5k or big WoD I generally eat more than normal in my meals. To me it seems like common sense. And I still get all my snacks in. This has seen me lose BF and put on lean mass without even trying to. Most folks here will say the same.

So - eat more, better. Hope that helps!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
Paul Symes

Profile:
Matthew, nothing's wrong with fish and broccoli I love it but you won't get any energy from it, you'll just end up looking like a marathan runner and feeling weak and tired. If you're on the Zone, then I thought 40% of your energy is supposed to come from carbs.

How about fish, broccoli and some fruit or brown rice or sweet potato?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Eric Lester

Profile:
I'm having trouble grasping why fish and broccoli isn't a good zone meal (aside from needing to add some fat). I mean, you'd have to eat a lot of broccoli.. but couldn't you get all the protein and carbs needed from just having fish and broccoli?

Paul suggested fruit, brown rice, or sweet potato. Are these preferable to broccoli for people being active?

(only on second chapter of Enter the Zone)