CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Karolina Strzelecka

Profile:
box jumps& toes to bar problems

Hi guys, i have a problem with box jumps and toes to bar. I can normaly jump on a box but I "rest" on the ground not on the box as it should be. At the beginning I was really scared of box jumps and when I overcame my fear I realised that my jumps weren't proper, hah. I tried doing some box jumps on plates and it worked great but the problem is I cannot jump higher than about 15 inches. I tried many times and always when my feet touch the ground I've got some kind of fear which doesn't let me jump... I don't know what to do with it.

The second problem is toes to bar. I want to learn how to do them, first, with strength and then with kipping. When I hang on a bar and raise my legs I cannot rise them higher than L position. Also, I don't feel my muscles working hard. It's a kind of "block" and I feel like I'm not able to do anything with it. I can do some k2e but those are also tough for me and I'm able to do single ones.

I'm new to this site, so wanted to say hello to everyone! ) Sorry for my English, I don't know many CrossFit phrases yet!
Greets from Poland!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: box jumps& toes to bar problems

Learning a T2B strict isn't exactly easy for many CFers however they are a staple movement for us gymnasts and gymnastics coaches.

What I do for the kids who cannot do them is sometimes I learn a plank at a certain angle off a set of stall/swedish bars. Thus they work the full ROM at a much easier angle. Without a set of stall/swedish bars off the wall and just a hanging bar it would be difficult to replicate this method.

Other times I will spot these but you can't really self spot these. Sometimes we work negatives but this is difficult to do if you can't lift your toes to bar.

You can try to tuck up then lift your toes to the bar with a sort of snap kick. Many crossfitters do kipping T2B this way. Basically a K2E then kick toes to bar.

Another drill to work on is L-hangs for time. Easier than an L-sit generally but brutal for adults sometimes.

Without a set of stall bars, I would just work L-hangs and hanging tuck ups. Sitting V-ups are another good drill.

Think 5-10 sets of L-hangs and about that many sets of leg lifts. Ideally we are hoping for 30-60 seconds of volume with the holds and 25-50 leg lifts.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

For box jumps, try bounding drills. stand with feet about shoulder width apart and jump straight forward and land 18-24 inches (1/2 meter) in front of you. As soon as you land, jump again and keep jumping forward; like a frog. This should help you get comfortable with landing and jumping. Hopping up and down, without the box, will help also.

Welcome to CF! keep us posted.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Karolina Strzelecka

Profile:

Thank you so much for advices! I will definitely try doing toes to bar on stall bar and about 10 sets of L-hangs.
According to the box jumps I will keep trying and do more bounding drills. If you like you can see my proress on my personal blog, I will keep posting. Thanks once again!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina Strzelecka View Post
Hi guys, i have a problem with box jumps and toes to bar. I can normally jump on a box but I "rest" on the ground not on the box as it should be.
Be careful with bounding box jumps coming from a running back ground. If you have tight calves, soleus or ankles you can have increased risk of Achilles tendon rupture. Make sure you are flexible through the ankles before worrying too much about bounding box jumps.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I would not have anyone do bounding box jumps unless they have been an athlete a long time.

Maybe firebreather crossfitters.

Especially if they can't do rd box jump.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Second what Blair said about T2B. Try a knee raise and then "flick" your toes up to the bar. With a bit of a kip or swing, this is the easiest way to start. IMO
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Karolina Strzelecka

Profile:

And what do you think about doing more crunches, V-abs and GHD sit ups?
Do you have any programs to get stronger abs? Should I do everyday some bodyweight strengthening exercises if my pull ups, toes to bar and k2e are weak? Or should I do them 3 times per week? Also, how many sets and how long? If you could help me with my progression, I'd be really grateful!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Karolina,

The best way to get better at something is to pratice it often. use the t2b, and k2e as part of your warm up or cool down. That way tou get good reps every day you work out. Don't do it to fail, but do 2 or 3 sets still about 70% of your max number of reps.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Karolina Strzelecka

Profile:

Woaaah! I did it! 2 days ago I did my first toes to bar! ) My kipping wasn't good before so that was the problem. But I must say that I still cannot do t2b using swedish bar or just full struct t2b.