CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Jon Branden

Profile:
Snatch Technique Critique

Hey everyone! So, after several months since starting Crossfit, I decided finally to go back and work on my relatively atrocious snatch form. Any critiques would be appreciated, as well as any tips/suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYOI5...ature=youtu.be

I've watched it a couple times, and have noticed that I'm a bit too forward on my feet in the catch, and also jump backwards for some reason. Any ideas on fixing that?

Thanks so much for watching, and looking forward to getting some feedback!

Best,
Jon
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Snatch Technique Critique

Jumping back is fine.

Biggest issue I see is that the bar lost contact with your thigh (big time) and got away from you. Make sure you sweep the bar back and it makes contacts with your hips (it should lift your shirt up). The bar never made it to your hips though because your didn't stay 'over' the bar long enough.

Also, you moved the bar around your knees, which messes everything up. Make sure you pull your knees back through the first pull rather than moving it around them.

You probably could have gotten better extension, but again, since the bar never made it to your hips that was compromised.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Kurt Konodi

Profile:

In your start position you are basically in a squat, hips at the same level as you knees. You want to start with you hips higher than your knees, this way you can let your hamstrings do work. Set up with your hips higher before you start the pull
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Jon Branden

Profile:

Thanks for the advice guys! It's greatly appreciated. I'll start drilling those positions and working on keeping that bar close and those knees out. Any other suggestions are always welcome!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Kurt Konodi

Profile:

This is a good video of the first pull, http://vimeo.com/56667730

One thing I didn't notice at first what that your shoulders are directly over the bar for just about the entire lift. Like what Brad said, you want to get over the bar and that means shoulders in front of it while you sweep it back into your hips
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Sju...YC68lt9o-qGt0o WFS

These videos will help you the most. I do prefer teaching using the reverse chain method (start at end and work backwards) and I think it works best for beginners.

I would also do halting snatch deadlifts to above the knee to drill using the legs, not the back.

Get your arms perpendicular to the floor for the start position, set your back and pull the bar to above the knee. Start by pushing the knees back, keeping the back angle the same for the entire movement. Sweep the bar back with lats into your legs.

Making contact with your legs is , just don't drag the bar up your legs because that is how your tear your shins up. Think slide it up.