CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
300lbs, 3 Months

So I'm throwing the gauntlet down for myself. I'm supposed to deploy in February so I've got three months left to get some serious training done. In those 3 months I have challenged myself to put 300lbs overhead. I don't really care how. Push press, push jerk, split jerk, behind the neck jerk, whatever. I just want to get 300lbs locked out over my head. It's a fairly lofty goal especially considering that I don't think of myself as being that close to this, but hey...lofty goals yield lofty results right? I figure if I post it in public and keep track of my progress here then there will be some pressure to follow through with this. So there it is.

Some stats:
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 181
Back Squat: 410
Bench Press: 300
Deadlift: 410
Press: 205
Push Press: 235
Jerk: ???

Unfortunately I can't let my conditioning slip so I'll have to keep up with the running and conditioning work while trying to do this which might make this a slower process. Mostly it will slow it down in that I can't really afford to just eat more to help with the strength. I think I can afford to put on about 5 extra pounds without my running suffering so I'll probably do that.

Anyways, we'll see how this goes...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: 300lbs, 3 Months

11/12/12

Incline Speed Bench: 8 sets of 3 w/ 135lbs. Alternate grip width each set.

Flat Bench Pin Press medium narrow grip: 4 sets of 2 w/ 275

Incline DB Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 w/ 80lb DBs

Weighted Dips:
- 45 x 10
- 45 x 9
- 45 x 8 + 1 + 1
- BW x 14

Treadmill Sprints
800m, speed: 9 incline: 3%
1 minute rest
400m, speed: 10 incline: 2%
1 minute rest
800m, speed: 9 incline: 3%
1 minute rest
400m, speed: 10 incline 2%
800m, speed: 4.1 incline 6%
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

11/13/12

Max Effort Box Squat: work up to 335 x 1

Good Mornings: 155 for 4 sets of 5

Lat Pull Down: 200 for 1 set of 3, 220 for 4 sets of 3

I had a LOOOOT more planned for today, including a pretty intense conditioning session, but for whatever reason I just was NOT feeling it today. I think it may be because I workout at the Y and I was hyped up until I went to the gym and had to wait 20 minutes because some guy wanted to deadlift inside the squat rack. I think it may havef killed my motivation. Either way I'll be working out at my house a lot more often from now on.

The box squats were harder than I thought they were going to be. It may have been because my motivation was shot, but I think it was just because I haven't done them in forever and it's a whole different animal. I widened my stance a little bit and paused quite a bit at the bottom. So my box squat ended up being about 70 pounds lower than my normal squat. That makes me think that it's worth practicing a little more.

One final thing. I weighed myself today and I ended up being under 180 pounds for the first time in a LONG time. 178 to be exact. This is both a problem and a blessing. It's a problem because I am not intending to lose weight necessarily and I would like to be moving a little closer to 185lbs. However, it's a good things because it means I get to eat more
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I decided that the way I workout (a lot of the same stuff every single day) might be too boring to post / follow on a day to day basis so I'm just going to post highlights and thoughts at the end of each week. Maybe videos if I hit some amazing milestone.

Highlights for this week:

- Feel like my squat is on the climb. Was able to squat 390 with no belt easily, which is good for me. I hit 405 at almost every session now without much trouble with the belt and I made it to 415 today.

- Also was able to hit 365 for a double with no belt, which isn't terrible for me. I've hit higher numbers than this before but never at this body weight (180).

- Nothing to tell really about the press progress. I'm working on it, but nothing outstanding to share.

- Got to 205 x 5 in the good morning. I would like to hit 225 for at least 3 fairly soon, but 205 was somewhat difficult so we'll see.

- Tried to run two miles in 13:00. Thought I could do it, but I only made it to a mile and a quarter at the 6:30 pace so I have a little work to do there.

Thoughts:

- Lately I've been taking less warmup reps and it seems to help quite a lot. I take the same amount of warmup sets as I usually do, but I move to singles much faster and I feel a lot stronger in the heavier sets.

- I started lifting in sweat pants and I think that helps a little bit because my muscles and joints warm up faster and stay warm. Could just be in my head, but I'll probably keep doing it.

- Finally, I have much better sets if I can keep myself calm. The more amped up I allow myself to get the more likely I am to get out of the groove of the lift and risk missing it.

Think that's it for now. Until next week. HA.

If you want a look at the day to day work you can check it out here: http://neighborhoodninja.blogspot.com/ (WFS) I'm trying to be consistent in keeping up with it, but I've always been bad at keeping logs.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; 11-17-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Highlights

Was able to squat 390 no belt a couple of times this week. I would like to hit 405 no belt in the next 2 weeks. Also got over 405 a few times so I'm creeping up.

I finally made it to 225 x 3 in the good morning. That's the thing I'm probably most proud of this week.

I have been using the smolov jr rep scheme on my press. So far so good. This week ended with 145 for 8 sets of 4.

Thoughts

Learned an important lesson this week. I was working up in the squat and I was just not in a good groove. 375 felt heavy and when I did 395 it felt awkward, I was shifting forward and to the right, and consequently it felt very heavy. Instead of calling it a day I waited a few minutes and tried it again. This time it was perfect and went up very smoothly. Ended up getting to 410 after that. The moral of the story is that if you miss a rep because your technique sucks, fix the technique and the reassess from there. Don't give up.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

What height box are you squatting to? Do you ever program front box squats?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I only box squatted the one day and then gave up on it the rest of these squats have been standard back squats. The one box squat I mentioned above was to a 12" box. I am planning to revisit them though. I think I'm going to rotate back squat, front squat, box squat.

I can't remember if Ive ever tried front box squats. You think I should?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I'm probably telling you something that you already know, but with the numbers that you've listed in your first post you're more than strong enough to jerk 300+ if you can lock your technique in.

Its a speed and footwork thing once you get to a certain point and you're more than there. I jerked 300 from the front back in June when the most I'd ever pressed was only 172.5.

Will definitely look in here from time to time to see how you're progressing.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Yeah I suppose it's possible. There's a guy at the gym I used to go to who's quite a bit weaker than me in the press (he only weighs 160ish though) and he can put 305 overhead. It's just because he's so freakin quick. I suppose if I worked on that...

The biggest thing is the more dynamic I get with the overhead stuff, press->push press->push jerk->jerk, the more unstable I feel in the shoulders. A lot of it might be confidence. I dislocated my shoulder almost a year ago now on a snatch balance and I think I'm just nervous to try to snap under a bar into a lockout. I feel confident pressing and pretty confident push pressing, but I guess I just need to work on the jerks some more to get the feel again.

Thanks for checking in on the log everyone. And thank you for the tips and advice. Hope you'll check back.

Last edited by Matt Thomas; 11-23-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

So I WAS feeling good about my progress...

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_im...960.jpg&jq=100 (maybe not wfs)

http://www.girlswithmuscle.com/image.../604034904.jpg (maybe not wfs)

Not so much anymore -_-

Is that for real?? And in Asics Kenseis no less. Gracyanne Barbosa says "to hell with your lifting shoes. I will lift 500 pounds in shoes with gel soles and air pocket foam!"

*sigh*