CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Russ Oliver

Profile:
Alternate Rope Braiding Technique

I read the article in Crossfit Journal showing how to braid your own climbing rope and thought it was a great idea. Then I thought about what it would be like trying to manage 8 thirty foot lengths of rope. I made a few string bracelets back it the day and keeping the strings straight was a pain. That got me searching the Internet trying to find out more about braiding techniques. I figured there must be some kind of loom or something that would make it more manageable. Thatís when I came across http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/ and learned about the Kumihimo Marudai. I wondered if I could rig something up similar do help manage all those ropes. After some more reading and a few YouTube videos, I ended up using some ductape, some old PVC pipe, some sand from the creek bed, a bit of wire, and a stack of tires to put together a Marudai to create my climbing rope. I cut two 100 foot lengths into 3rds and ended up with 6 strings that I looped and braided together as a 12 cord round braid.

I feel like I took a beautiful Japanese art, Texas sized it, and turned it into a bit of a redneck project (seems like lots of my projects end up using copious amounts of ductape and/or wire), but it turned out great.

I posted the full writeup here so I could include pics. If there's a way to post the pics inline here, let me know and I'll do so.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Fern Webb

Profile:
Re: Alternate Rope Braiding Technique

Very very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I found a 4 strand braid wasn't too hard to manage but a 6 or 8 became unwieldy. The problem with 4 strand is that your base cord needs to be thick in order to get a thick enough climbing rope (I used a 10mm rock climbing rope), and in the end it has quite a rough bumpy texture which is great for grip going up but hard to slide down.
I will definitely try your marudai hack to make an 8 strand!

(p.s. don't forget to mark your external links as WFS)
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Russ Oliver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Webb View Post
Very very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I found a 4 strand braid wasn't too hard to manage but a 6 or 8 became unwieldy. The problem with 4 strand is that your base cord needs to be thick in order to get a thick enough climbing rope (I used a 10mm rock climbing rope), and in the end it has quite a rough bumpy texture which is great for grip going up but hard to slide down.
I will definitely try your marudai hack to make an 8 strand!

(p.s. don't forget to mark your external links as WFS)
If you try it out post back and let me know how it goes. One suggestion I got from a seasoned marudai user, was to simply use bricks for the tama. I didn't have any on hand, so I just used what I had. She also told me to look up "slipping hitch" to see how to wind and attach the string to the tama. That tip made it really easy to let out more line when I needed it. Good luck.

P.S. I don't see that I can edit my original post, but I'll be sure and designate WFS in the future.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Not factoring in the time you put into this- was it any cheaper than buying a manilla rope?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #5
Russ Oliver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Not factoring in the time you put into this- was it any cheaper than buying a manilla rope?
I bought the 100' lengths from Home Depot for $9.99 each. Harbor freight sells them for $6.99. I had everything else, but I wouldn't think you could do much better than 11+ feet of 2" rope for the $20 I spent (or the $14 I would've spent at HF). I also read that this kind of rope was easier on the hands and doesn't fray like the manilla, but I've never used manilla so I don't know if that's really the case.

How much is Manilla going for? From the quick searching I just did, it doesn't come close.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Not sure- looks like you could get 1 1/2" manila, 15', for about 60-75 bucks.

I was just curious if you did it just to save $$ or for any other reason.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Russ Oliver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Not sure- looks like you could get 1 1/2" manila, 15', for about 60-75 bucks.

I was just curious if you did it just to save $$ or for any other reason.
Cost was a key reason for me after looking at the ridiculous prices of climbing ropes online. I don't know if you have access to the Journal, but Lincoln Brigham's article talks about issues with cost and reliability of climbing ropes. One of the beauties of making one like the article talks about, is that there's no splicing or knotting at the top of the rope. Instead it's a solid loop which makes it less likely to fail. That's why I braided mine at the center starting off.

After reading that article, I saw comments here stating that the 1.5" version was really too small for a comfortable grip. That's why I used 12 strands rather than 8 shooting for a 2" rope.

Buying 2" rope gets a bit pricey. Especially if it's something other than the cheap manilla.